Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router w/ dsl modem & antenna

• 16-07-2004 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am getting BB soon and I want to have wireless connectivity. I'm looking for an all in one solution i.e. wireless router with a built in modem. I have done some searching both here and elsewhere and I am looking for some recommendations.

I have come across the D-link DSL-G604T which has a built in dsl modem.link
    Has anyone purchased this and have any opinions? Also maybe some of you could recommend a better product to fit my needs.

Another thing I have to consider is the range of the wireless connection, the house has heavily insulated walls and I assume this will have an adverse effect on the range so I will need an antenna that will boost the signal strength. Some advice on indoor antennas would be great.

So to sum up I need a wireless router with built in modem and an antenna to boost the signal!

Any suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/products.asp?pm=1517

Theres a nice list of options all at reasnable prices.

This might also interest you.

Myself I have a Linksys WRT-54g which i am very happy with and particularly impressed with Linksys Tech Support. (same as the linksys on above page without built in modem) Its very reasonably priced.

A lot of people seem to go down the netgear route mind.

As for the D-Link, what i've heard about it hasn't been positive.

You might want to have a look through this Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Thanks Truckle

I think I might go with the Linksys WAG54G. My only worry now is boosting the wireless signal. The D-link one seems to be a bit of a turkey but there seems to be plenty of antennas available for their products, I dont see much on the linksys side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

You can buy aftermarket antennas for nearly any wireless router / access point. Most use the same connection (either SMA RP MALE or SMA MALE). Just ask the guys over on the wireless forum if you're in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

This yoke looks like it's probably shi*e http://www.tritium.co.uk/ but at least it's cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by h0stn0tf0und

I have come across the D-link DSL-G604T which has a built in dsl modem.link
    Has anyone purchased this and have any opinions? Also maybe some of you could recommend a better product to fit my needs.

I have it and it works great. Setup takes around 60 seconds (Username/Password, VCI, VPI) and thats it. It picked up my static IP no probs as well. DHCP works great, I use a desktop connected by cable to the ports on the back (there are 4 ethernet), and wireless to my laptop which works for me anyway around the house.

Haven't had a single hiccup so I would totally recommend it. Plus, no drivers so it works in Linux (even says so on the packaging - part of the reason I got it because any company that puts it on is at least *aware* of linux ;) ).

No telnet access unfortunately.

The firewall is perfect when tested in ShieldsUP but again you need a software one as well anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement