Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax

Options
  • 16-07-2004 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is the right board - feel free to move it mods!
    Anyway I start working part time at the beginning of april. Then I got a full time job at the beginning of june. However I stayed in the part time job up until last thursday so for about 5-6 weeks I was working both jobs. My tax was really screwed up during that period. I rang the tax office and they recommended splitting my credits 60% to the full time job and 40% to the part time job - so I did that for the few weeks I was there. My tax basis on the wageslip for the part time job said (Week One) every single week I got it since I split the credits. Before that it said Cumulative. However I was gettin ridiculous amounts of tax taken off from the part time job, eg (earning 260 euro and 110 of it being taken in tax). I left that job on thursday anyway and was wondering will I get any of that money back (it wasnt emergency tax - the basis was called Week One) so I'm not sure.
    Also wondering could anyone explain these terms for me that appear on my full time wage slip:
    Cut off - x euro
    Cum. Tax Cr - x euro
    Tax Credit - x euro
    PRSI Class - AX
    Thanks

(forgot to mention im a 3rd level student - I thought that meant I didnt have to pay any tax - also someone told me I shouldnt be paying any tax ANYWAY cos I didnt work at all between january and march and had those tax credits saved up)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Georgiana

Why dont you contact the tax office. They are generally very helpful. Theres an office just off O'Connell St where you can drop in with any query ( I think its at the top of Cathal Brugha Street).

Advertisement