Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband to increase bandwidth

• 16-07-2004 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

irish independent subscription required
    Ailish O'Hora
    IRISH Broadband, the fast internet arm of National Toll Roads (NTR), is to increase its bandwidth offering for SMEs without raising its prices.

The company is raising the entry level to 1Mbps downstream, with the same level upstream at the same price of €45 per month.

The current status in the market is that the entry level bandwidth of 512kbps with 128kbps is no longer sufficient for many small and medium-sized business users, according to the company.

thing is there is no 45 euro business package that I know of, closest thing is home plus. I've emailed them to ask what the story his, hopefully they will respond quickly.

if anyone wants to phone them about this please do, I can't at the moment (abroad).

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The package is called SOHO. Its been available for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

According to the website soho is 75 euro a month. What are the real numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

they better get their act together before they start increasing bandwidths!

Current pings:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 2528, Received = 1948, Lost = 580 (22% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3485ms, Average = 10ms
    Control-Break

Browsing next to impossible, but gaming seems practically unaffected strangely enough...

EDIT: After about 2 hours of this... everything has returned to normal! I'll still give em an e-mail, i want to know what was happening... In the 2 minutes following when i posted, everything just fixed itself.

it will be a while before they do it for us home customers.

kinda new it was a independent typo anyways :(

thanks for clearing it chaz, no one bothered to reply to my email.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chaz>ping 82.195.131.128

Pinging 82.195.131.128 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=55
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 14ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Chaz>

Fixed now - as of 15 mins ago.

The SOHO for E45 has been around for some time.

• Advertisement

The SOHO for E45 has been around for some time.

oi! What am I paying 40euro+vat for home plus when I could get solo for another 5euro+vat??

Are there plans to move home plus up to a meg? It seems silly that we will soon be or are already paying a few percent less for 50% less bandwidth. What is the contention ration on SOHO, website says 1:20 but it seems it is in dire need of an update!

5euro, double the speed.... why wait!

Is there any reason why a residential user couldn't get the SOHO for the extra 5euro?

EDIT: What was the cause of the terrible packet loss? Was work being done and everyone being crammed onto one section of your network?

Im not sure what the res market is going to get out of the business upgrades. We are hoping for news soon on that.
    There was a new traffic manager installed - it didnt work well (duly noted as even my decent connection came to a standstil) - it has been removed.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll be eagerly awaiting further news. It'd be great if we got a speed boost. Also, i saw an ad for IBB in the paper today. I hear you're live in cork now! My uncle has been looking for some cheap broadband, and i'll definately point him out to you.

Not sure how well you know cork, but is the area around the "Lough" covered? (the big pond in cork :p)

The Lough area is covered - well - most of it.

Cork has been live since around Mid February - with first clients coming online around end March.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by rob1891
    thing is there is no 45 euro business package that I know of, closest thing is home plus. I've emailed them to ask what the story his, hopefully they will respond quickly.

Esat Business 512k/256k, unlimited downloads/uploads and a static IP and free modem - €45 a month
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/broadband/offer.html

He was referring to IBB's packages, not EsatBT's :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

whats ibb pings like around 8pm to 10pm
    could one of you ping this ip? 195.22.129.22

just wonna see what the pings are like for when they hit this area

Ping statistics for 195.22.129.22:
    Packets: Sent = 14, Received = 14, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 17ms
    Control-Break

Thats pretty consistant all the time (except when they try traffic managers :p). There is no usage spike on the 5.8ghz that results in bad speeds/pings at any time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Esat Business 512k/256k, unlimited downloads/uploads and a static IP and free modem - €45 a month
    http://www.esatbt.com/ie/broadband/offer.html

Sounds like a good deal, but the 2 years minimum contract doesn't sound so enticing. Probably be something a lot better in 2 years time. Maybe even next year this will seem a bad deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

which package are you on with ibb Mutant_Fruit?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Sounds like a good deal, but the 2 years minimum contract doesn't sound so enticing. Probably be something a lot better in 2 years time. Maybe even next year this will seem a bad deal.

Agreed, but its still a decent enough deal

Advertisement