Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wengers foresight....

• 16-07-2004 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

well maybe.... I've always thought he was just about the shrewdest manager around when it comes to the Transfer market, but just looking at the most high profile players currently unable to find a club......

Kluivert (Wenger turned down the chance to sign him 2 years ago)
    Overmars (startlingly transferred by Wenger, looks good deal now)
    Petit (Ditto)

and now

Wiltord (Wants a long term contract, Bayern weren't willing to offer it either)
    Kanu (*Cough*)

He's gone for unknowns again this year. Wonder how they'll turn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I wonder did he forsee Viera leaving?

:)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

But how much did wiltord cost. Not a mention of that but i supposeif Liverpool had won the league we wouldnt have heard so much of the cost of diouf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

What about his purchases?? :D

Nelson Vivas
    silvinho(now with Barcelona)
    remi garde
    Gilles Grimandi
    Oleg Luzhny
    Alberto Mendez
    Kaba Diawara
    Paulo Vernazza
    Davor Suker
    Stefan Malz
    Igors Stepanovs
    Tomas Danilevicius
    Francis Jeffers
    Sylvan Wiltord
    Junichi Inamoto
    Stathis Tavlaridis
    Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
    Pascal Cygan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by kida

Nelson Vivas
    remi garde
    Gilles Grimandi
    Oleg Luzhny
    Alberto Mendez
    Kaba Diawara
    Paulo Vernazza
    Davor Suker
    Stefan Malz
    Igors Stepanovs
    Tomas Danilevicius
    Francis Jeffers
    Sylvan Wiltord
    Junichi Inamoto
    Stathis Tavlaridis
    Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
    Pascal Cygan

To be fair, the best way to look at that is how much he's spent Vs. How much he's recouped and you see he's miles ahead of anyone (although thats probably from Anelka alone).

Van Bronkhorst, Grimandi and Garde did well but were only ever fringe players.

Cygan covered exceptionally well last season. Look at the players he released and apart from Wiltord I dont think he spent much on any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He paid a lot for Wiltord but he wasn't exactly a bad player. 46 goals in less than 100 starts for the club domestically (he wasn't the best in Europe though :p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

£11,000,000 for Wiltord , a club record at the time .

{me wonders why people went on about lack new blood at Arsenal for 4 pages and then I bring up a thread saying Almunia joined and only 2 people other than me post on it . am I on that many peoples ingnore list :p }

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by kida

Nelson Vivas
    remi garde
    Gilles Grimandi
    Oleg Luzhny
    Alberto Mendez
    Kaba Diawara
    Paulo Vernazza
    Davor Suker
    Stefan Malz
    Igors Stepanovs
    Tomas Danilevicius
    Francis Jeffers
    Sylvan Wiltord
    Junichi Inamoto
    Stathis Tavlaridis
    Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
    Pascal Cygan

Jeffers is the only one there that any material amounts of money were spent on that was a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Find me a manager that hasn't bought a crap player! G'wan try.
    The true measure is how many great players he has bought in the long run, and hes not doing too bad atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Selling Petit, Anelka and Overmars when they were just at the start of their downward spiral was a masterstroke, combined they netted Arsenal £83.5M! His worst purchases (incidently some of his most expensive) were Sylvain Wiltord for £13M and Francis Jeffers for £10M. I don't understand why a top flight team like Arsenal could actually spend less than what they've taken in from transfers.

Some asstute buys were Patrick Vieira for £3.5M, Fredrik Ljungberg for £3.2M and Henry for only £11M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by PHB
    Find me a manager that hasn't bought a crap player! G'wan try.
    The true measure is how many great players he has bought in the long run, and hes not doing too bad atm

Vic Halom at West Bromwich Albion, Well you did ask.;)

They all make mistakes in the transfer market and spending big is no guarantee of success either. Wenger much as I dislike him has found some excellent signings in his time without spending excessivly.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sylvinho, Cygan, Grimandi, and Wiltord don't deserve to be in that heady list imo. Sylvinho was class. Cygan was cheap and played way better last season (i think Arsenal only conceded 4 goals in the 10 matches he started), Grimandi was a useful squad player and Wiltord scored 49 goals often from the wing.

The rest however are ones Wenger will probably want to forget. Possible exceptions might be Franny Jeffers in the unlikely event he comes good, and Van Bronckhurst who was incredibly unlucky with injuries.

The only possible good thing I can think of that would come from a possible Vieira departure, would be that Fabregas would move up the pecking order. From what i've seen of him, he has the potential to eclipse all of Arsenal's current elite.

Advertisement