Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing a camera into a gig

• 16-07-2004 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Lads,

what's the story with bring a camera into a gig. I'm going to Ian Brown in the Village next week and I want to take my Digital Camera in. Will they try to stop me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I have never been searched going into the Village.

Whether that means you're OK to bring the camera is another matter. Check your ticket for conditions, it probably says something like "the use of cameras or recording equipment is prohibited".

That said, I have used a camera in Whelan's (yes, I know its a different venue) a load of times, and nothing was said to me.

You pays your money, you takes your chances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

I had a digital camera with me at a gig before in the Olympia. Took a few photos - was then doing a small video clip - not sure why i bothered cos they always come out crap. but anyway - a bouncer came over to me and asked me to step outside!!

he told me to erase the photos and give him the batteries from my camera ! He seemed to know the story with digital cameras and watched while i deleted the (crap) photos.

i had to hang back at the end of the gig to meet him - which took a while as his jeep had been clamped where he parked at the side entrance to the olympia on a double- yellow!!!

my one regret from the night is that i didnt take a photo of the clamped jeep!!

but if you read the back of your ticket you'll see they are within their rights to eject you for taking photos!

I usually bring a disposable now - just in case !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

they always say no photography so your like ok I better not bring my camera, pitty, then when you get there you see flash after flash. I'd just take it If I were you. If you or any of your friends have a car it'll be cool, if you get stopped and told you can't bring it in, just pop it in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

You should be ok, just don't go nuts with it or be too obvious. I saw someone with a small camcorder in the village the last time i was there...

check out this thread too...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1707794

davej

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'd say you'll be alright, I've used a camera in Vicar Street before, and I saw loads others taking pics too... they came out crap, mind you.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

its generally ok as long as you do not have a professional lens on the camera... one of those one where you can zoom in from a few miles away :D

thats what a security person told me at witnness a few years ago... its so you have to get a press pass etc to get good quality publishable photos... though at somewhere like the olympia you could get decent photos because the place is so small...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Cameras are generally alright but video cameras are usually frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Bring the fecking camera.

If they say anything - just remind them that there are probably HUNDREDS of camera-phones in there.

They cant stop that sh1te anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sinner_Rez

Cameras aren't allowed into gigs where the artist owns their own image rights. Thats the story. Thats how it is. If they see the camera they are more that likely going to take it off you. Why would you want to a camera to a gig anyway. I mean if anything happens to it you'll be kicking yourself, all for a few snaps of Monkey features Browne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I've had a friend have the RECHARGABLE batteries taken out of her digital camera by security @ Metallica last year. What gets me is no one stops people with Camera Phones....... & they see them clearly taking photos & leave them be while harassing people with cameras.... VERY UNCOOL!!! Either apply your rules across the board or bugger off!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I've never had any trouble with bringing a camera to a gig - and I've been to many a gig! The odd time there might be signs up saying that cameras are prohibited, in which case, the camera stays in my bag. (I hate it when I go to shows and get searched on the way in - there's always that moment of baited breath in case the camera is found.) A couple of times I had a security guard ask me to stop taking pictures because of the flash (which could be distracting for the performer, fair enough). Actually when I saw the Charlatans a few years ago, whenever Tim would see someone taking a picture, he'd bring his wrist up to his face and try to deflect the flash with his watch - therefore ruining the photo! Grrr....

I say bring the camera - the worst that can happen is that you're asked to stop taking photos, right? Even if you're not allowed ~ at least you tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I have no problem with people taking photos at gigs but I hate the ignorant feckers who use flashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sinner_Rez

Lets be honest here. Camera's on phones are crap. THe quality of the photo isn't worth the cash you hand over for the phone. Now when 2mp and 3mp camera phones appear then you can moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I've brought my digi cam to loads of gigs and never got any hassle. I use it pretty openly aswell, sometimes I throw it at the bouchers heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Why would you take the camera, especially an expensive one. Having it on you detracts from the enjoyment of the gig IMO, and if you can't remember it a few years on, it wasn't that good a gig anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Why would you take the camera, especially an expensive one. Having it on you detracts from the enjoyment of the gig IMO, and if you can't remember it a few years on, it wasn't that good a gig anyway!

I do agree with you to some extent. It can take away from the gig somewhat. But then again you can say that about anything. Why bring a camera anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lurlow

Anyone good at art? They can't stop you bringing your oil paints to gigs. Probably.

Advertisement