Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW 1 Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Personally, I don't like it..... it cheapens the whole BMW brand in my opinion. It's a poor man's BMW :) Apparently, it's going to be relatively expensive too for that class of car.
    Imagine saying to someone: 'Yeah, I've a BMW'
    Someone: 'Really, what type?'
    Me: '1 series'
    Someone: 'Haha!'

:D

I just think the people who will buy this will be the type who'd say "I always wanted a real BMW but couldn't afford one, so I bought a 1 series" :)

Looks aren't great at all when you consider some of the great designs BMW have had....and what the hell are those curves around the lower part of the doors?! I just don't think it's a good idea. Don't even get me started on the X3 :rolleyes:

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

OMG what have they done,

I have to say though I like the front of the car, but as soon as you look at the back its terrbile from behind it could be punto or other similar car.

I had a look at the 360 view on the site, if they kept the front part of the car, and copped of from behind the drivers door and made a 3 door capri, cc version it mike look better.

Having said that it will be the only car in its class with rear wheel drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

a poor man's beemer is the hideous 3 series compact !

I think the one series is a rich man's hatchback !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by dcGT
    Personally, I don't like it..... it cheapens the whole BMW brand in my opinion. It's a poor man's BMW :) Apparently, it's going to be relatively expensive too for that class of car.
    Imagine saying to someone: 'Yeah, I've a BMW'
    Someone: 'Really, what type?'
    Me: '1 series'
    Someone: 'Haha!'

:D

I just think the people who will buy this will be the type who'd say "I always wanted a real BMW but couldn't afford one, so I bought a 1 series" :)

Looks aren't great at all when you consider some of the great designs BMW have had....and what the hell are those curves around the lower part of the doors?! I just don't think it's a good idea. Don't even get me started on the X3 :rolleyes:

DC.

BMW's are about as common as you can get these days. If you stand on a busy road you'll see loads of BMW's about.
    They are just a better-built Rover and common as muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

btw - i think its gorgeous. not as gorgeous as a 330ci or 645ci of course, but as hatchbacks go...

but its miles better than a Golf V, Opel Astra, Megane. I think I still prefer the A3 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

I like this car... but what price will they sell it for in Ireland...the cheapest 3 series is 30650 €...
    any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

i think it's woeful. and i agree that the suits at bmw will probably come to regret cheapening the brand with this model and the scale model of the x5 (though it costs nearly as much).
    the 3 series compact is their earlier attempt at mopping up the aspirational cash that floats abouts in the hatchback class, and it's disgusting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Personally I like the look, I think its one of the nicer hatchback's out there - the A3 is def the best looking...the Golf V is really growing on me, i hated it at first but I was the same about the last Golf and I ended up owning 2!

As for cost I think they are to start around the 21k euro mark for the basic which is higher than the cost of a basic Golf or Audi, but that will include air con, alloys which cost extra on the VW and Audi's.

I disagree that its a poor man's BMW, BMW's are so common now - Scargill's comments about it being a rich man's hatch back is more realistic - cause its not cheap.

I'd like to see it in person though.....pictures are one thing, actually touch\drive is another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'd spend the money on a new Mini Cooper. Which is also a BMW.

As for cheapening the brand, it is too late - they have been making Euro-boxes for too long and letting Chris Bangle rasterbate over well engineered internals has only made it worse. I have thrown up prettier things than the 645csi and the Z4 looks like a frightened mackerel. The 1 series will be a huge success for BMW - me still no like.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by interceptor
    the Z4 looks like a frightened mackerel

:eek: me realises you might have a point...

Never liked the Z3 coupe myself and still very confused about the Bangle era cars, though they might grow on me, maybe... :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Swweeet.

They've done a walter desilva on the design, Its lines are very like my current leon, and the current A3 esp the rear end, with the light cluster etc. hmm its going to be difficult not to get one of these...very tempting.

Anyone got a price list.

No price list yet....lets hope it's soon - it might help make my mind up on what I want for my next car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

1-series prices are out. You can build your own at bmw.ie

116I € 28,450
    116I SE € 32,400
    116I SPORT € 32,500
    118D € 33,100
    118D SE € 37,300
    118D SPORT € 37,400
    120D € 36,650
    120D SE € 40,700
    120D SPORT € 40,500
    120I € 35,550
    120I SE € 39,600
    120I SPORT € 39,400

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

116I € 28,450

:eek:

/me floor > thump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

And that doesnt even get you air con or alloys

Don't like the look of the BMW much, but must add "yet" to that sentence. Have had to get all new BMW's looks grow on me for years now

VERY interesting pricing. Note that the more powerful and much faster entry level BMW 1-series that surely also is superior to drive is actually CHEAPER than it's main competitor, the entry level Audi A3 (VW Golf).

I find this truly astonishing and I'm in no doubt that Interceptor will be proven right that the 1-seried will be succesful :D

Same price again is the Mini Cooper S. If sheer performance and pleasure is all you care about, this is the one...

The 120D is a little pricey :( 40k!!, the golf is cheaper (32k) will have to wait to see them on the road before making up my mind...

Going to this launch on the 16th, looking forward to seeing and testing it. (thinks) wonder how the diesel will perform compared to my cupra Tdi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

The 120D SE has a lot more equipment than the Golf Comfort. THe bmw does 0-100kph in 7.9 seconds while the golf is about 9.5

what is it with you people and 0 - 60 stats..its a diesel... think 20 - 50 times, 30 - 100.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think it will be popular with those who want a BMW but cant afford it or as
    the well off familys second car.. Price range is high enough though for a small
    car.

As someone said here, the A3 is a nicer car to be honest but its still a good looking car..

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    the A3 is a nicer car

Agree, A3 is much better looking, but it's still just a VW...

Bring on those tests!

I'm going to the launch, so seeing it in the flesh might tempt me.

Spec is a little higher than the golf, and with it being a BMW if should hold its value, I guess VW have there hands full this year with competition - I bet they still wont drop the price OR up the standard spec to other EU countries (not yet anyway)

DirtyDog wrote:
    VW have there hands full this year with competition - I bet they still wont drop the price OR up the standard spec to other EU countries

Good point. At least all BMW's here are full UK spec now at long last :)

Advertisement