Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would i get judged b4 the test

Options
  • 16-07-2004 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of getting a body kit on my car and im all set for paying the deposit for it etc... but then i realised that i applied for my lisence test and expect it to be around december :( ( its my own fault i was on holidays on my last date given )

what im wondering is will the test driver instantly think im a speed demon just cause ive a kit and on that notion mark me harder then if the car was kitless ? should i wait till after the exam or am i just worrying 2 much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I think you're worrying too much. The appearance of your car shouldn't make a difference on your standard of driving IMHO...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are hundred of myths surrounding the test, and they're all wrong.

The tester may look at your car and go, "Ah feckin young fellas", and there are a few testers known for marking young people down for trying too hard (being overly cautious, etc). At the end of the day, if you drive it correctly, you will pass. When you look at the sheet at the end of the test, you will see an x for each error you made, and you should be able to recall making the errors. If you can't, then that's just as good a reason for failing you.

Try to have the inside of your car clean, and most importantly, make sure the mods you do are road legal. Otherwise he won't take you out on the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

liek seamus said, as long as its road legal.
    The test is of your driving ability, not your sense of asthetics

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Personally, I'd leave the kit until after the test....yes the kit shouldn't make a difference and we'd all like to believe that the testers totally impartial. However, the truth is that people do pre-judge. I don't know how many times I've heard people shout 'f*cking boy racers' just because someone has added a body kit and some alloys to the car. If it was me, I'd keep the car looking as 'stock' as possible. It just means you're not giving the tester any reason to doubt your character. (But of course, you shouldn't have to)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you're concerned, you could always do the test in a driving instructor's car (usually a Micra or something similar).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

If you're concerned, you could always do the test in a driving instructor's car (usually a Micra or something similar).

I did that, did my test in a poxy little yaris and very nearly failed as i was used to driving a 1.6, stick with a car you're comfortable and familiar with.

The test isn't that hard, people seem to have really overblown apprehensions about it. just drive sanely and safely and he cant fail you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I agree, I thought it was piss easy, but if it's a real concern for him and it's going to make him even more nervous, doing a lesson or two and pre-test, and doing the test in their car might calm his nerves.

Wouldn't concern me to be honest, as long as you drive well on the test you should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Did my first test in a celica with a full body kit on it lowered 25mm tinted windows and a HKS induction kit on it 18" rims, before even getting into the car. He looked around the car checked the tires then said the front number plate was to small?

I said it was on the car when I bought it and didn't notice he just said its illegal and stood there staring at me. I went ahead and did the test and he failed me.

I applied to do the test again in my mums ford ka and passed he didn't even look around the car !! (different tester)

Advertisement