Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saying thanks

Options
  • 16-07-2004 11:32am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here think that most motorists are ungrateful. I find if I let someone pull out in front of me or if I move to let them pass (this applies esp. to motorcyclists) they rarely acknowledge my action.
    A simple raising of the hand (or maybe foot in the case of bikers) isn't that hard to do! I always say thanks and expect it back but find that about 70% of the time people don't bother.
    Sorry for ranting!
    ps I guess this doesn't really apply to moped riders as they just seem to be inconsiderate w****rs who don't give a fupp about your paintwork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I dont expect to be thanked by average drivers, its always commercial / professional drivers that will thank you, or in the odd case that a commercial driver is in a normal car youll get thanked :)

Noticed this couple of years ago when i was doing delivers with bread-van drivers / and various other drivers. Youll neaver get thanked by your average joe motorist because they feel that they drive faster and better than you so you should get our of their way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

fooking taxi-driving scumbags. I hate them with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I find if I let someone pull out in front of me or if I move to let them pass (this applies esp. to motorcyclists) they rarely acknowledge my action

If you've been let off by a car when you're on a bike it usually means you're turning into traffic or turning across oncoming traffic, i usually give a nod or a lift of my fingers, but i'm not going to take my hand off the handle bars or wave my foot around during a turn.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the reference to bikers was really when [obviously] i move over to let them pass me rather than them pulling out. Depending on the passing side, some will raise their hand whilst others raise their foot.
    However, most just keep on going and don't do anything leaving me wondering why I bothered.
    I consider myself a relatively courteous driver and watch out for bikers (a rare action in this country).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

the supposed 70% of bikers that never thank other road users pales in comparison to the almost 100% of women drivers who never bother to acknowledge when something has been done for them. Or drivers of expensive cars like mercs, etc..

Yeehaw, it sure is fun to generalise!

As someone said in another thread, there are dickheads everywhere, no matter what they drive. there are dickheads in trucks, cars, taxis, bikes, whatever.

I'm just glad that as a biker, I'm not included in that 70% as I always thank other drivers unless it's unsafe for me to do so. Being in that 70% is something that would haunt me for the rest of my days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Yeah, I find most drivers are ungrateful bastards too. Not to generalise :) , but two groups stick out - fuxxing taxi drivers and and 'soccer moms' in 4x4s. Van drivers and truckers will thank you usually for letting them out or giving them space...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Argh, taxi drivers. I drive through the Blanch centre area a fair bit, and they're always trying to get out of the taxi rank onto the road. If I see one of them waiting there I'll always let them in, but 90% of the time never so much as a wave.

edit, removed. don't want to get into the "women are **** drivers" arguement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Actually - I'd find the opposite. I do most of my driving in Limerick and in general i find that if you let someone out or lei them pass they'd normally give a wave or a flash - and generally I'd always try my best to do the same. In saying that though people are getting increasingly frustated while driving as the volume of extremely slow moving traffic who would rather die than pull in has increased (or appears to me to have at least) drastically in the past few years. Especially since the penalty points you find thta those who would normally have tipped 60 would now teeter along at the 45-50 mark and would have no appreciation for the motorist who cannot help but fall asleep at these speeds...

Oh and as for motorbikes - while some would give a wave - I wouldn't take it personally if they dont cos I'd prefer they kept both hands on the bike.... The roads aren't good enough to be taking your hands off I'd imagine. (non-bike rider so probably completely wrong!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rymus
    I'm just glad that as a biker, I'm not included in that 70% as I always thank other drivers unless it's unsafe for me to do so. Being in that 70% is something that would haunt me for the rest of my days...
    Indeed. It's very difficult to say thanks to drivers on your right (right hand is holding onto the accelerator) but I make an effort to give a wave whenever it's safe.

What gets me is people overtaking parked traffic. There's loads of it on my estate, and people don't seem to realise that the person who's on the side of the road with the parked car is obliged to give way. Even worse if you're a biker, they just go and you have to squeeze between them and the kerb. If you do let them go, you never get a wave (it's all big cars, foreigners and women on my estate, so no courtesy whatsoever).

Originally posted by BUMP!
    Oh and as for motorbikes - while some would give a wave - I wouldn't take it personally if they dont cos I'd prefer they kept both hands on the bike.... The roads aren't good enough to be taking your hands off I'd imagine. (non-bike rider so probably completely wrong!!!)
    hence the foot being lifted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Women are deffo the worst .

They very rarely have the manners to allow drivers out in front of them . This of course , is just my own experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by kbannon
    hence the foot being lifted!
    And sacrifice the ability to change gear or brake? :) I doubt many drivers would recognise the wave of a foot as a thank you. Some would probably interpret it as an insult!

Unlike car drivers, we use all of our appendages to drive the bike, and haven't got the option of driving with one hand or accelerating/braking with one foot (in the case of automatic drivers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by Sleipnir

if a taxi driver is edging his way out into traffic i will go out of my way to obstruct his passage, never mind stop and let him out. this comes from years of being expected, or even forced to give way to the ignorant prix (and also watching them drive past while soaked on new years eve).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

On the subject of Taxi drivers....and generalising

Has anyone ever noticed that a taxi car with a passenger onboard (paying a fare) will be quite happy to trundle along at 30mph in a 50mph zone, where as an empty one will be cutting up the lane, and darting traffic. Ahhhhh, must be to pay off all those expensive plate fees!

Just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

i think there's good and bad in everything, i usually flash my hazard lights as a thank you, but i find BMW drivers as the single worst offenders.... i recall twice being thanked by beemer drivers.... in over 100,000 miles of driving!!! It costs nothing, but then again ignorance can be picked up very cheap these days too.
    r

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by Sleipnir

Couldn't have put it better myself!

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I find the majority of male drivers do thanks you and a small minority of women :(

Main agression on the road boy racers and again women

Can anyone explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Kermitt
    It costs nothing, but then again ignorance can be picked up very cheap these days too.
    r

:D I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by unkel
    I find the majority of male drivers do thanks you and a small minority of women :(

Yep. I find most women drivers

a) don't let you out

and

b) don't thank you if you let them out.

It's as if they're in their own little world in when in a car. As long as they're getting where they want to go, sod everyone else!

Of course there are exceptions.... once, a female taxi driver let me out!! :eek:

DC.

Originally posted by seamus
    Indeed. It's very difficult to say thanks to drivers on your right (right hand is holding onto the accelerator) but I make an effort to give a wave whenever it's safe.

My friend.. .you simply must get cruise control.. from personal experience I can tell you it's quite divine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I try to always flash the vans indicators when I’m let past some truck of slower driver, women are defiantly the worst, followed closely by big car drivers, like as if to say ‘I have a powerful car, I didn’t need to be let by you, I could of just floored it’

I don’t bother letting women past me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find artic and bus drivers tend to be the most courteous on the road. Since i drive a pretty slow bike (:)) I often find myself going slower on the main roads than huge-****-off trucks so I pull in to the shoulder (if available) and let them by. They always flash their hazards or sound their horns.
    The average punto-bodykit-wanker prefers to cut me up. The amount of times some little **** has sped past me in his piece of **** giving only a couple of inches clearance... ARGH

Originally posted by ando
    women are defiantly the worst, followed closely by big car drivers, like as if to say ‘I have a powerful car, I didn’t need to be let by you, I could of just floored it’
    I must be an exception to the rule in my 5 series then if I let people out
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a commercial driver I can back up just how courteous we are! Women are particuarly bad for some reason, most will bearly acknowledge your existence.

Mike.

Originally posted by kbannon
    I must be an exception to the rule in my 5 series then if I let people out
    :D

Well, there are always exceptions.

Women are particuarly bad for some reason, most will bearly acknowledge your existence.

Ahh but shur aint it like that when were not in our cars or on our bikes anyway? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

on the rare occasion that someone moves in to let me pass on a straight i'll give a quick wave alright. in the car i flash the hazards in situations like that.

when i'm in a car i do find that women drivers rarely let you off, or acknowledge you letting them off either, there are exceptions naturally, but few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So how many of you will do the same for a cyclist?

Personally the only thank you I want from another road user is to be not hit by them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cork doesn't seem too bad in comparison. I'd say people salute about 60-80% of the time, depending on the weather, traffic, etc. Women drop down on average to 40-60%, which is bad, but not that bad. "Power Women" in jeeps and barges are pure ignorant.

I find Merc drivers slightly ruder than BMW drivers, and that's an observation from before I drove a Beamer meself. And I always salute, flash, etc. Thing I was most surprised about the Beamer is how courteous other people are to me.

I have to say though, when someone doesn't salute me, it drives me spare. I feel like doing damage like, it's pure ignorant.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

THe rural part of Norfolk where I live seems to be pretty courteous compared to many places. It's normal for someone in a long, slow-moving line of traffic to let a car out from a side road, and most drivers acknowledge if you let them go first. The horse-riders in this area just about always acknowledge my slowing right down and giving them a wide berth.

The thing which sticks in my mind about Ireland is not so much lack of acknowledgment but the number of drivers who seem to tailgate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dahamsta

I find Merc drivers slightly ruder than BMW drivers

*cough!*

and that's an observation from before I drove a Beamer meself.

adam

Yeah yeah yeah....! :D

Mike.

Advertisement