Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saying thanks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There's a lot of stereotyping in this thread and I feel the need to join in :)

There are two main categories of women drivers who never let you out and don't thank you if you let them out

1) Jittery, up-tight women who grip the steering wheel with all their strength and sit so far forward in the car that their faces are virtually squashed up against the windscreen. These women are fixated on what's happening in the few square metres of road directly in front of their noses and are oblivious to anything happening anywhere else. They are concentrating so hard on the basics of driving that they don't even notice people trying to pull out or merge into traffic. They also don't notice when someone lets them out so they couldn't thank them even if they wanted to.

2) Power women (good description dahamsta) These types seem to think they're on some radical feminist crusade to prove how great they are and how they don't have to thank any man who lets them out because it's their "right" and they "deserve it" As for letting anyone out themselves - not a chance! Every time they are uncourteous or inconsiderate to another (male) driver, they think they're striking a blow for feminism.

Of course, all of this is just IMO :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I find most of the time drivers to be alright, apart from the few lorry drivers and of course women...:rolleyes:

If someone wants to pass me i let them where possible and if someone lets me pass or is courteous i normally give them the wings and get a flash of the lights in return.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by BrianD3
    2) Power women (good description dahamsta) These types seem to think they're on some radical feminist crusade to prove how great they are and how they don't have to thank any man who lets them out because it's their "right" and they "deserve it" As for letting anyone out themselves - not a chance! Every time they are uncourteous or inconsiderate to another (male) driver, they think they're striking a blow for feminism.

That's just given me an idea for a new t-shirt design, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

I've found most people in Wexford (where I'm from) are considerate and will thank you if you let them out or whatever.

They also let me out a lot too (which, of course, I thank them for in the appropriate fashion).

The only exception is all you schtoopid Dubs that think you own the place - you f*cking wa**ers!! :mad:

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Farls
    If someone wants to pass me i let them where possible and if someone lets me pass or is courteous i normally give them the wings and get a flash of the lights in return.

Farlz

Yes! - Can someone please copy and paste this into the rules of the road? Why does common decency not apply in this country?

That was rhetorical. Most drivers in this country are ignorant, not because they are ignorant by nature, but because they just cannot confidently and competently drive a car. It is not their fault with a system that will allow you to drive a car after sending in the results of an eye test and a €15 payment :rolleyes:

This murderous (literally) system with extremely high death and injury rates needs to be replaced immediately with a system where only fully qualified and thus competent drivers are allowed on the roads

The system in place in Germany seems a good example. It might take 60-80 hours training to get your license and to get to drive and it will be costly, but many lifes would be saved

Think of it - you can only get a second provisional license if you can PROVE you FAILED

Compare that to meeting your bank manager.

You: ok I took out a loan last year

BM: you failed all repayments

You: yes and because I failed all repayments, I think you should give me another loan :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by kbannon
    I must be an exception to the rule in my 5 series then if I let people out
    :D

And me in the 7 series. Nothing to do with the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by unkel
    And me in the 7 series. Nothing to do with the car

surely you mean 'bus'?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by impr0v
    surely you mean 'bus'?

I'd be lost parking without the PDC alright :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by unkel
    I'd be lost parking without the PDC alright :)
    you would be alright if you just learned how to use your car mate!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

might as well get in on the act here and throw my 2 cents in :D

Myself i drive a bike and my gf/s got a car.

when driving on the bike i'll always salute when safe to do so anyone who pulls in for me to let me off, most common instances of that are with trucks/vans. was quiet surprised really when i started driving some 5-6 years ago how many trucks/van were curtious enough to pull in whenever they could and who would acknowledge my salute to them with a flash of the lights :)

worst drivers in ireland, in my opinion anyway have got to be taxi drivers, cant stand the feckers, not pulling in when they are crawling at 40-45mph on main roads, doing 50mph then when they going through towns, not curtious on the road and the most annoying is tailgating. i don't mind too much when they try to tail gate me on the bike coz i'll either randomly hit the breaks till the back off or just give it plenty of juice and leave the b*****ds behind.

Vast majority of bikers i find are very curtious wether i'm on the bike myself or if i'm in the car with my gf, coz i drive a bike she's always watching out for bikes and pulls in whenever she can to let them off and they nearly always salute whenever its safe.

anyways think i've ranted enough for now lol, taxi drivers stay the hell out of my way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

for all the bad coverage taxi drivers are getting here, I think their ok for 'saying thanks', in Dublin anyway. They always wave at me if i let them into my lane

• Advertisement
Advertisement