Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll of membership regarding future of Ireland Offline

• 16-07-2004 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Prompted from this thread, a poll is being created to gauge the view of the membership about Ireland Offlines future. Any IO member is asked to vote in the poll and also attend the AGM tomorrow (July 17th) in Athlone if at all possible.

How do you feel Ireland Offline should proceed? 95 votes

Continue, expanding our remit into consumer internet issues. (caps, speed, availablity etc..)
    0% 0 votes
    Continue, expanding our remit into consumer internet [b]and[/b] general telecoms issues. (the above, plus phone line quality, "rogue diallers", slamming etc..) [this would require a lot of work, with far more people actively involved for it to work]
    35% 34 votes
    Disband with immediate effect, passing on the torch to any newly formed organisations that may wish to continue
    55% 53 votes
    Disband with immediate effect, taking no further action
    8% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Isn't it a pity boards doesn't allow three dmensional polls so that we could assess how many of those who select one of the first 2 options would also answer "Yes" to the question "Are you willing to serve on the committee for a two year period???""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As long as questionable monopolies such as Eircom are allowed to Rip-Off the good people on this Island.

The need for a pro-active voluntary independent organisation such as IrelandOffline will be needed. Although as more is achieved, a time will come when a name change may be appropriate.

May I suggest that a suitable new name might be IrelandONline ?...

With a watching high profile brief to comment publicly in the media on all aspects of telecommunications.

Good luck with the AGM. I look forward to a positive outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Paddy20,

I'm fairly sure EsatBt would have issues with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Jeez,:eek:

Never even thought about IOL. However, coming up with a new name is currently (I suppose) not the most pressing question ?...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Isn't it a pity boards doesn't allow three dmensional polls so that we could assess how many of those who select one of the first 2 options would also answer "Yes" to the question "Are you willing to serve on the committee for a two year period???""

Might be a very low number but I'm betting there'd be a high number if there was a question "Would you be willing to help out on a regular basis in a small way e.g. one half day a month ? "

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dunno about being a member, but I'll vote anyway and I'm going for option b). Yes, the "offline" in IrelandOffline originally represented the Internet, but it doesn't have to, and I think it's time IrelandOffline redefined itself anyway.

For example, while I can understand that the committee members responsible for concentration on wireless last year probably had the best interests of IrelandOffline at heart, I still believe it was an unwise decision.
    Might be a very low number but I'm betting there'd be a high number if there was a question "Would you be willing to help out on a regular basis in a small way e.g. one half day a month ?
    Sorry MarcusGarvey, it just doesn't work that way in practice. People say they will, but they won't.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I voted for option c. as I do think it is time to either have it cease altogether (on a high note) or for something completely new and fresh to emerge from it.
    To be honest, I haven't put very much time directly into IrelandOffline ever. Again, I say hats off to the guys who did. They are few enough and worked very hard for all of us. I don't see the sort of commitment necessary to carry it forward and frankly, while the target was well defined in the past, these days it is hard to know where to start. There are so many issues now that need attention.
    I agree with DeRebel who said -
    In terms of becoming a "Telecommunications User Representative Body" this is a whole separate discussion. My view is that any such body would need a statutory footing, broad industry and consumer support/membership, a permanent secretariat and multi annual funding. There appears to be little appetite for such a body among the powers that be and accordingly little chance of such a body being formed.
    I don't think there is any middle ground. If you don't go all the way and cover it all, what do you focus on? While a telecoms user rep. body would be great, it ain't gonna happen.
    So, if the 'Group Data Scheme Society' carries the flag for broadband in rural areas and does a good job of it, that is one area that hopefully will be looked after. Perhaps other groups will emerge to concentrate on other areas also. How the torch would be handed to more than one group is the question then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,439 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

is this a dublin centric view ? i'm afraid that most of the areas i work in people and businesses still suffer crap dial up and have no prospect of broadband i really don't think the work is done it might sopund like a broken record but we need to keep the pressure up or all that will happen is that in 5 years time we bemone the fact that we still only have crap dialup capped 512k bradband while most of the rest of europe forges ahead, i'm glad that this forum is here and the people are harrassing our politicians i do what i can from donegal but ithink the last time anything was asked of the members was emailing mary hannifan our e-tub minister.
    i think there is still room for the organisation if there is anyone to organize it (maybe thats the real question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Yeah I definitely think it should be in the back of peoples minds that right now things are not improving when it comes to the health of the copper they are getting their dsl from. Many of Mucks posts were about the state of disrepair and line faults with Eircom.

This is only going to get worse and worse unless this national asset is protected. We may have dsl now but in 5 years will our lines be healthy enough for it ? It's healthy to be paranoid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Keep going and broaden the remit to bring in more aspects of Telco. Measure how much the group can handle in relation to the Telco areas and concentrate on that.

Internet, line quality, availability, regulation should be covered at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I voted for option b.

I will be attending and I am willing to contribute time and effort to IrelandOffline if asked.

If that means putting myself forward for the committee so be it.

We have to be the backbone of resistance to monopolistic practises as well as providing support and succor to individuals and groups struggling to get a decent and affordable connection.

Currently the motto is "CAMPAIGNING FOR AFFORDABLE, UNMETERED AND BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS IN IRELAND"

Well I for one do not see affordable
    I do not see unmetered (time and quantity)
    And I certainly do not see broadband for a large percentage of the population including those living in cities. :mad:

If these goals require diversifying to include more general telecoms issues then lets do it.

Most importantly I am willing to "walk the walk" as well as "talk the talk" :cool:

Regards

JWT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

(This post is a personal post and not one on behalf of the committee. )

Hello IOFFL people,
    Well it's been a while but yellum is back and with a new shining account. The AGM was very interesting and even though the turnout was small the discussions were passionate.

Right now their is an interim committee in place and over the next coming while there should be some discussions taking place on these forums regarding the future of IOFFL and what we the members want IOFFL to do and from that list we can see what direction we all want to go.

Just so you know I'm on the interim committee. The chairperson will make himself known soon enough. He just needs to get his "Grand Entrance" music ready.

Damien.

Advertisement