Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy joins Newstalk

• 16-07-2004 4:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=110983906&p=yyx9846yz
    Football pundit and former Today FM host Eamon Dunphy will join Dublin radio station NewsTalk 106 in early September.

Dunphy will present a new breakfast programme between 7am and 9am Monday to Friday.

I've heard huge figures of salaries.... not sure what it will actually will be.

What is interesting is his taking over of David McWilliams spot, I wonder what he'll be doing with himself (perhaps a promotion, perhaps work on a new station).

Anyone interested enough should tune into Newstalk now (4:40) for the Right Hook, as Dunphy is due to go on to talk about his future at the station.

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

newstalk think dunphy can get up at 4 am five days a week?...sober?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya beat me too it! :D

Exactly what I thought when I heard this mentioned a couple of days back.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Did you hear what he had to say flogen?

Dunphy and McWilliams are good friends apparently - a fact that wasn't mentioned in the Evening Herald yesterday - doing so would obviously remove entirely the chief premise for their story - "Dunphy the bastard, again". I had to laugh that they needed to explain who McWilliams was in their first line.

But, I digress.

I reckon McWilliams will be retained by Newstalk, and moved to another slot. I think he could do well against Kenny on RTE in a 9.30-11.30 slot. He is a good broadcaster, and an excellent analyst, but I always felt that the 'mass-market, rapid-pace' needed for breakfast broadcasting never really suited him - he is better dealing with subjects in depth.

That in turn raises another question - Dunphy attributes a lot of the success of the Last Word to the time he gave to each item - only 4-5 subjects were covered in 2 hours each night. At the moment Newstalk spend about 5-10 mins max (and often far less) on items in the morning, as do Morning Ireland. Will Dunphy insist on giving topics more consideration (and is this likely to succeed in a morning slot), or will he maintain the pacier style?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just finished there, it was the usual stuff
    'if i have a great team, it should work well, looking forward to working here, there is alot commercial broadcasting can offer etc etc.'

nothing ground breaking (and in fairness to him, he did joke that he would be going to the show straight from lillies :D)

I agree, genghis on the quality of McWilliams, and i hope he does stick around. It will be interesting to see Dunphys ability on a breakfast show, his work on last word was good, but this will be different.

(also, it was interesting to see him on The Right Hook, given that he was direct competition for some time... almost like Hook saying 'ha, I won', although I'd imagine its more a dig at Today FM given the fact that their figures plumetted after Dunphy left... saying 'we're beating you on ratings, and now we have the man who used to be your top presenter!'... or something).

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I think Dunphy will do wonders for Newstalks profile. I was never a fan of McWilliams but I know he has a lot of respect in the trade as a broadcaster. I think the country needs a national talknews station so maybe this move is Newstalks way of strengthening their listernship to go national? Don't know if this is a possibility but I know that as someone who thought the station was pretty dire to begin with, it's one that I think is among the best out there in Dublin at the moment.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by alleepally
    I think Dunphy will do wonders for Newstalks profile. I was never a fan of McWilliams but I know he has a lot of respect in the trade as a broadcaster. I think the country needs a national talknews station so maybe this move is Newstalks way of strengthening their listernship to go national? Don't know if this is a possibility but I know that as someone who thought the station was pretty dire to begin with, it's one that I think is among the best out there in Dublin at the moment.

Interesting you should say that, because they were planning to after their first JLNR figures came out (despite them being poor).
    Given that O Brien now has the majority of the place, I wonder if that's changed.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cuddles_ie

A Friend sent me this!
    Dear Friends,
    I have just read and signed the petition:
    Saving David McWilliams
    http://www.thePetitionSite.com/takeaction/934940604
    Please help by signing this petition. Tell Newstalk what you think of them!
    The system centralizes signature collection to provide consolidated, useful reports for petition authors and targets. Please forward this email to others you believe share your concern. To view additional petitions, please click here:
    http://www.thePetitionSite.com
    Thank you
    Maria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

I'ld like to see McWilliams take Moncriefs spot. God i hate Moncrief. He is the one let down on Newstalk.

It should be written in Dunphy's contract that he CANNOT mention Roy Keane. His Incessant ranting on the Keane incident at the world cup was what made me switch over to newstalk. I used to like Dunphy until that happened. I dont mind that he covered the subject when it happened but every minute of every day for months ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i know newstalks rating have improved alot recently but it hardly good enough to go national...

to me that something that good about a dublin station is hat it talks about dublin things you now about

sure i rarely listen to the radio anyway

I wonder if they have any plans to syndicate the Dunphy show and thereby make it a "national" show? A broadcaster with appeal to youth audiences and who could get a local stations news rewuirement for the day practically met by 9am!

Thinking on a bit, it would probably be difficult to find radio stations to partner with who would be willing to drop the worn 'Krazy Breakfast Krew' approach to morning broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I liked the David McWilliams spot, I think dumphy would be better at the 5-7 slot in the evening

did anyone hear kevin myers on the right hook just before the dunphy interview??

he highlighted dunphys drink driving fiasco while explaining his desire for mandatory jail time for drunk driving. hook interrupted him "your talking bout our new breakfast presenter, can we move on!!" hilarious stuff.

ive always regarded macwilliams as the jewel in newstalks crown (my take at ten)but i read in one of the weekend papers that newstalks investors have ploughed 8 million into the station since apr 02 and seen none of it.

bagging dunphy seems to be the final attempt to turnaround the fortunes or lack of them.

I dunno, I think Newstalk has come on a lot even before the Dunphy signing - they are more professional, their line-up is quite good and they have been making headway in the JNLRs. I think Dunphy can take them from a 'break-even / survival' 3-5% market share to a 'grower' at up to 10% market share.

George Hook is an excellent presenter, and I think if they retain McWilliams in a later slot, then they really are getting places:

7-9 Eamon Dunphy
    9-11 David McWilliams
    11-12 Local Dublin Magazine
    12-2 Damien Kiberd
    2-4.30 Sean Moncrieff
    4.30-7 George Hook
    7-10 Ger Gilroy

(As I type, I notice - No female presenters!)

On a side issue, I always thought that Dublin is too small a market for a news and talk based service - on the other hand a national talk-based station could do very well on a national basis - just look at Radio One! Newstalk could be allocated the 2FM AM slots alongside their Dublin Frquencies, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Interesting analysis but Sean moncrieff cannot fill 2 hours let alone 2.30 !

Reckon Maccer might move to one of the Weekend slots and perhaps compete with Sam Smyth on a Sunday Morning !?

I have a lot of time for him but I do think he over personalises issues too much. I dont want to hear about his kids and what they did at the weekend ALL the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Genghis

7-9 Eamon Dunphy
    9-11 David McWilliams
    11-12 Local Dublin Magazine
    12-2 Damien Kiberd
    2-4.30 Sean Moncrieff
    4.30-7 George Hook
    7-10 Ger Gilroy

(As I type, I notice - No female presenters!)

There's a suggestion that Marian Finucane is peed off with RTE and might be tempted to jump ship to NewsTalk she'd add female listeners but might cause "Dublin Blokes" to scatter to FiveLive!

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    There's a suggestion that Marian Finucane is peed off with RTE and might be tempted to jump ship to NewsTalk she'd add female listeners but might cause "Dublin Blokes" to scatter to FiveLive!

Mike.

I have heard something similar alright... but she freaks me out abit (and I cant help thinking of the Apres Match slag off of her...).

Lets not forget Orla Barry, she does City Edition. I dont think McWilliams will go to the weekend, while their weekend shedule needs work, I dont think it will happen just yet (once the weekday gets running smoothly, the managment will work on the weekends). If he stays (and I hope he does), I imagine it being, as Genghis suggests, the follow time slot, or even perhaps the City Edition or Damien Kibert slot (if it was one of these, I'd hope he took the City Edition slot, I like Kibert too much for it to go)

flogen

Originally posted by mike65
    There's a suggestion that Marian Finucane is peed off with RTE and might be tempted to jump ship to NewsTalk...

i dont rate finucane at all. i dont think she's sharp enough. and ever since apres match did her i've never had the same respect for her. "ryyyte, ryyte..."

on another note, i just heard a ricki lake style daytime tv show hosted by Joe Duffy is on the way for RTE. Surely this aint true. but why was Davis hostin liveline last week? was joe shootin a pilot?

Derek Davis said last week on liveline: "In the 80's a TV executive said to me, Derek, your too fat for light entertainment, and i thought, you swine".

But i would call liveline 'heavy entertainment' so...

Originally posted by flogen
    (and I cant help thinking of the Apres Match slag off of her...).

lol

Advertisement