Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiderman 2

• 16-07-2004 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Saw it last night, and man was that a cheesy movie or what?

I was really dissapointed with its high levels of cheesyness and predicability. What did you all think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I really enjoyed it. It felt alot more like a Sam Rami film than the last one.

I'd like to go see it again before forming a proper opinion on it...

But that fight on top of the train was simply amazing...

And there were lots of bits that were taken from classic issues of the comic book.

I'm not sure how it managed to bag a PG rating though, that scene with Doc Ock first wakes up is pretty vicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Course its cheesy , its a suphero movie , what did you expect? Its a man shooting webs out of his wrist. I thought it very good , great stunts , special effects mixed with stroyline and slower moments. The one little thing i would hold against it is its " Lord of the Rings" style too many endings. Id love to see Venom in the next one but apparently Raimi dosent like that character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

I can accept cheese in a superhero movie, but that was just ridiculous. There plenty of superhero movies that dont take it that far.

the "AVENGE MY DEATH" bit
    the runaway bride bit
    the "if you want him, you'll have to go through me" bit

they could have left them out, or at least toned them down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I say "Bring on the cheese".
    If they start removing the inherent cheesiness of superhero movies to make them cooler before you know it they'll be making other adjustments to increase the cool factor and then you'll be left with a pure formulaic Hollywood piece of shit.

This was a great film. Nice story-line, and top class special effects. I liked the way they moved the story on a bit too
    Peter Parker revealing to his bird and his best friend that he's really Spiderman, unlike Superman where his identity is never revealed.

It would be class to see Venom in a Spiderman movie but I think they're lining up the Lizardman(?) or something along with another Goblin for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Remember that in the Spiderman comics, they always lined up something at the end of each comic and then in the next issue they'd pull a fast one and something totally unexpected would happen.....

Read some of this for an example of it

Perhaps Rami will pull something like that...altho i have admit it might be a bit far fetched considering the ending(s)
    p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Fuhrio

At least he did actually go through them, for a change. I thought it was great, much better than the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Fuhrio

Perhaps I'm being kind, but I didn't think that was cheesey at all. Sure, it starts off all cheesey, but then
    Doc Oc just says "fine", and pushes them all away. If anything, it pokes fun at the typical cheesiness (and is perhaps a dig at the similar new yorkers pelting Green Goblin with rubbish scene from Spider-man1)

I thought it was an excellent movie, myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought it was almost exactly the same as the first one with a different bad guy. Also I didnt think the ending was great.

Still very good though , but why oh why did they have to have an American flag at the end AGAIN.

Yeah, some major cheesiness. Mary Jane running throough New York in her wedding dress while the camera lens does an over exposed gaussian blur.

I liked it and didn't like it. They really drilled home the Peter Parker is having a hard time thing. If he was so strapped for cash why couldn't he have moved back to aunt May's so that they could both help each other out and not have Aunt May's home taken away.

There was no blood anywhere in this film, except for on Spiderman's cuts and grazes.
    I found it strange, inapprpriate and interesting when Sam Raimi went all evil dead on us for the Doc Oc waking up scene. Chainsaws anyone?!?

Overall, enjoyable. They are doing well with the franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

At least he did actually go through them, for a change. I thought it was great, much better than the first one.

Hehe yeah that was great. Doc Ock came across as a very likeable chap at the start, that and the great big fuck off metal arms ensured I reserved a certain affinity for him. I particularily liked how he didn't waste any time (result of his intelligence I suppose), he was very to the point as shown above and various little things throughout, such as immediately wanting to know how to find Spiderman rather than mulling over it for an hour. Approval.

Very happy with the film overall, but am feeling a certain foreboding about himself finding the Green Goblin suit at the end. FFS if he becomes the Goblin it'll just be Spiderman 1 all over again. That said I assume the Lizard will be in the next one also, since he got a decent bit of screentime in this one, so two villians would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

a bit off topic...

Wouldn't mind seeing it again in a cinema that knows how to focus and doesn't have a speaker that CRACKLES LOUDLY everytime the action music kicks in.

In short: avoid Derry City's 'Strand Cinema'. They had a big refurbishment job recently - tarted up the ticket booth, but didn't touch the crummy screens.

more on topic...

It wasn't a bad film, but it was a lot of the same stuff (as the first one). Doc Oc was really cool, but he wasn't in it enough. They should pay more atention to the bad guys and less to Peter Parkers predictable relationship.

Also,
    his loosing powers
    was very badly handled I thought. Did this happin in the comics? Seemed almost out of place in the story, and didn't amount to a tin of beans.

Perhaps we'll see more of this in future films. ?

I honestly thought the best scene in the whole thing was Bruce Cambells cameo. Absolutly brilliant. (and the chainsaw/severed hand/flying tentical scene was a great homage to The Evil Dead).

I really might enjoy it more in a better cinema, or on DVD.. or as part two of three.

But at the end of the day, Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker does not an interesting character make.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just saw it tonight and I have to say it wasn't that bad, one thing that annoyed me was was Aunt May hanging on to the building, I really doubt she's that strong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought it was great!

The only thing i really disliked about it was the f**king annoying 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' scene.

But Best film of the Summer so far anyhoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Good movie all around - much more memorable than the last spiderman.

I loved everything about it - however, I think the PG rating should be altered somewhat. 12PG at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Loved the (mostly) musical referances - Hellraiser, Matix and of course Evil Dead.

Could have done without the "Spidey without the mask" bits big time.

Doc Ock was waaaay too tall AND he had a wife! HUH?

Had major problem with harry NOT dropping acid to become GG.

Liked the "tiger" bit from MJ at the end though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Saw it yesterday. My god what a fantastic film. Better than the first by far. The CGi/Special effects were amazing. Storyline was fluid and consistant. Reinforces my view that Sam Riami is a genius. Also I loved the references to Evil dead - Bruce Campbell cameo & the chainsaw when doctor octo went banana's at the start. How the film got a PG rating though I'll never know. Top class film imo. Second only to eternal sunshine this year.

I love the little touches/camera work Riami adds to his films like when MJ was sitting in the cafe and the camera pans from outside the window (reflections) into the cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

spoiler type question about the comics/next film
    everyones saying hes gonna be the green goblin but i thought harry becomes the hob goblin?

did anyone spot the stan lee cameo btw? only lasted for a second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

enjoyed it got a real buzz

yeah I saw stan, he saved a woman from falling rock when spidey and doc oc were fighting on a building

did you notice the woman singing the theme from the 60's spiderman cartoon tv series

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Batbat
    did you notice the woman singing the theme from the 60's spiderman cartoon tv series

Its hard to miss, very funny, pitty about the rest of the movie :p

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    spoiler type question about the comics/next film
    everyones saying hes gonna be the green goblin but i thought harry becomes the hob goblin?

No.
    Harry does become the Green Goblin, the Hob Goblin was another criminal that stumbled upon one of the Green Goblin's lairs and used his equipment to set himself up.

What was up with the landlords skinny daughter?

Is she being set up as a character in the next film? The Black Cat perhaps?

And if the Lizard is going to make an appearance in the next film, we have lots more of Dylan Baker to look forward to... great stuff... he was simply wonderful in Happiness.

Its hard to miss, very funny, pitty about the rest of the movie

I liked it, thought it was a logical progression from the first, the finale with doc oc was a bit dissapointing but that talkdown ending was always on the cards, I dont know what you were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Totally class movie.

It was cheesy and all, but so what? It was amazing. Deadly story line - didnt expect the ending -
    MJ and Peter getting together
    . Realised I'm a sucker for the cheese - was all choked up in that scene (and the one where he's lowering her down).

All in all - thouroughly enjoyable stuff - a bit slow moving at the start, and a bit too much of Peter being down on his luck. Deadly apart from that. Loved the train bit.

Pure Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by David Lynch
    I liked it and didn't like it. They really drilled home the Peter Parker is having a hard time thing. If he was so strapped for cash why couldn't he have moved back to aunt May's so that they could both help each other out and not have Aunt May's home taken away.

I think the commute from Queens to New York everyday would have been a bit much... he was having a hard time managing his time as it was... and apart from that there's not too many skyscrapers in Queens to jump around on... and didnt you know that all the criminals are in manhattan... :rolleyes:

just pointing out some logistics...

Anyway, I thought the movie was very good... a lot better than i expected it to be...

The CG was good, and the action scenes were all generally entertaining...

overall i think its the best 'popcorn' movie of this summer so far..

Originally posted by monkeyfudge What was up with the landlords skinny daughter?

Maybe Raimi wants to warn us of the dangers of against anorexia. She's the one who needed the chocolate cake not Peter Parker.
    Her name was Ursula, if I remember correctly. Isn't the Black Cat called Felicia? Maybe Felicia's a bit too risque as a name for Hollywood.

Another baddie that appeared was:
    Man-wolf (John Jameson)

...and Dr. Strange got a mention as well of course.

Cameos:
    I spotted Stan The Man saved somone from some flying rubble. How did I miss this one... Bruce Campbell (of Evil Dead fame) was the irritating usher!!! Couldn't place him when I saw the movie (I blame the M&Ms myself).

Is it just me or did
    MJ looked spaced-out most of the time? Just a thought...

My big problem with the Spidey movies, great as they are, is the lack of a (dead) Gwen Stacey. Send in the clone!

She didn't eat her chocolate cake either... it was still on the plate at the end of the scene when she was tidying away the plates.

And I know Felcia Harding was the Black Cat in the comics...

but then Selina Kyle is also Catwoman... not Prentice Price or whatever they are calling her in the new film...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

i spent the time arguing with my brother to pass the time...........the movie stank big time!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Metallicababe
    i spent the time arguing with my brother to pass the time...........the movie stank big time!!!!
    Are you deaf? I only ask because you must have used sign language to communicate with him (whilst wearing night vision goggles to see the hand movements) as I doubt you'd be as obnoxious and downright rude as to talk throughout a movie because poor little you was bored :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i think it was a good movie! better than the first one! but still not enough action! I fell asleep at times!

you can have the best special effects in the world but if you aren't a master director you won't do a thing!

just compare superman that was made in the 70s and spiderman I'd defenatelly choose superman! it was a master piece!

Superman was OK...Superman 2 was a huge improvement with General Zog and Lex Luthor "King of Australia" :)

I'd give the new Spidey movie 7 marks out of 10 - a bit too Lois and Clarke and unmasking Spidey is just plain taboo.

Best superhero movie so far (has to be a Marvel movie of course) is X-Men 2. Not just because of Halle Berry (phwoooar!) and Famke Jansen (phwoooar!)

I thought Batman 1 was the best comic book movie remake, followed by spidey 1 and 2, and perhaps xmen, I have a soft spot for superman movies but they have not aged well i think.

New batman looks quite promising, the actor they have chosen has that brooding quality.

On a btw, I download a couple of the old 60s spiderman tv episodes i watched as a kid, music is kind of cool but animation is not the best ):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I thought it was decent enough. A lot better than the first one anyway. I didn't think the effects were as good as some people mentioned, it looked quite fake in a lot of the scenes.
    him losing his mask for no reason was complete rubbish. And I don't think there is any train line like that in Manhattan. And as for the people stepping in front, pure American propaganda BS. The scene where Doc Oc wakes up is amazing, best in the film
    I don't think you could do the Venom storyline unless you completely deviate from the comics. We would have to see peter parker get the suit first and all that malarky, it would take too long. As for the comute from Queens, half an hour most. He should have been there for his aunt. Why not start selling off used suits or web fluid and stuff on ebay or something.
    While I'm here I might as well stake my claim to fame, I've been in Peter Parkers house! It's a cousin of mines house in Queens.

Originally posted by FX Meister
    And I don't think there is any train line like that in Manhattan.

That's because it was shot in Chicago.. it's the "L train"

"The elevated trains aren't in New York anymore but there used to be an elevated train system in New York in the 1940's, and that's the one that the sequence was supposed to be based on"

Lots of spoilers, mistakes etc. at:
    http://www.moviemistakes.com/film3843

It did remind me of the L train in Chicago funny enough. But there are still evevated trains in New York, just not as impressive as the one in the film

• Advertisement

I was never a great fan of the Batman films.

All that rubbish about the Joker killing batmans parents wasn't needed. And that scene where Batman sets off a bomb in the Smilex factory, no doubt murdering lots of people.

He kills people in Batman Returns as well.. they just didn't get what the character was about, did they?

I did like Christopher Walken in Batman Returns though.

I think the Batsuit is too similar in this new film, I was hoping for something a little more basic. I hated the costume from Burton's films, it just didn't alow Batman to move enough. And what all that black paint around the eyes that isn't there when he takes off the mask?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Well, personally, I'd love to see a redesigned Green Goblin in Harry(green and purple hood, and a costume not unlike Spidey's, not another flight-armour piece of crap), John Jameson bringing back the symbiote, Peter having to save astronauts as they're about to crash upon returning, and him getting the black spidey-suit that way. Then you have Peter being corrupted by the symbiote, things looking bleak...Eddie Brock being introduced throughout the movie.
    Then you have Harry and Spidey showdown, Harry dying saving Peter, and Peter rejecting the suit, and it mergin with Brock in a cliffhanger ending.
    But I think I'll be disappointed.

That would be too like the cartoon and not the real story of the suit though. Can they have another cliffhanger ending though? Isn't it a three film deal. another would ruin it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Maguire signed up for three.
    Doesn't mean there aren't going to be more.
    And the real story of the suit involved about 50 Marvel characters, so forget that.
    The cartoon version was a very well worked alternative.

And if they threw in the death of Aunt May, then you'd have a reason for Peter revelling in the corruption of the symbiote for a while.

It'd be quite bloody dramatic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

what other films did sam raimi direct?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by adonis
    what other films did sam raimi direct?

your kidding right? all the Evil dead movies, dark man, some others i cant remember

ill check imdb, he directed something pretty famous i.e more famous than the ones you mentioned...

k im getting confused
    wrong director...

although he did produce hard target..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Just saw it, loved it.
    Fantastic action sequences, edge of the seat stuff.
    Slightly drawn out ending though, could have finished 10mins earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Originally posted by adonis

although he did produce hard target..

Wouldn't be too proud of that one though? :)

Sam Raimi did some great films though. Love the Evil Dead Trilogy! :D

Also enjoyed 'A Simple Plan' - saw it when it was first out and didn't think it was great. But re-watched it a few weeks ago on RTE1 and really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by basquille

Also enjoyed 'A Simple Plan' - saw it when it was first out and didn't think it was great. But re-watched it a few weeks ago on RTE1 and really enjoyed it!

A Simple plan is an excellent film. Raimi has directed/produced:

Spider-Man 2 (2004)
    Spider-Man (2002)
    Gift, The (2000)
    For Love of the Game (1999)
    Simple Plan, A (1998)
    ... aka Einfacher Plan, Ein (1999) (Germany)
    ... aka Un plan simple (1999) (France)
    Quick and the Dead, The (1995)
    Army of Darkness (1993)
    ... aka Army of Darkness, the Ultimate Experience in Medieval Horror (1993) (closing credits title)
    ... aka Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3 (1993)
    ... aka Army of Darkness: The Medieval Dead (1993) (UK)
    ... aka Bruce Campbell Vs. Army of Darkness (1993) (UK: video title)
    ... aka Captain Supermarket (1993)
    ... aka Evil Dead 3 (1993)
    ... aka Medieval Dead, The (1993)
    Darkman (1990)
    Evil Dead II (1987)
    ... aka Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987)
    ... aka Evil Dead II, the Sequel to the Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror (1987) (closing credits title)
    Crimewave (1985/I)
    ... aka Broken Hearts and Noses (1985)
    ... aka XYZ Murders, The (1985)
    Evil Dead, The (1981)
    ... aka Book of the Dead (1982) (USA: première title)
    ... aka Evil Dead, the Ultimate Experience in Grueling Horror, The (1982) (USA: closing credits title)
    ... aka Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead (1981) (USA: complete title)
    Clockwork (1978)
    Within the Woods (1978)
    It's Murder! (1977)

30 Days of Night (2004) (in production) (executive producer) (producer)
    Boogeyman (2005) (post-production) (producer)
    Grudge, The (2004) (post-production) (executive producer) (producer)
    "Cleopatra 2525" (2000) TV Series (executive producer)
    "Jack of All Trades" (2000) TV Series (executive producer)
    "Young Hercules" (1998/II) TV Series (executive producer)
    Young Hercules (1998/I) (V) (executive producer)
    Hercules and Xena - The Animated Movie: The Battle for Mount Olympus (1998) (V) (executive producer)
    "Spy Game" (1997) TV Series (executive producer)
    Darkman III: Die Darkman Die (1996) (V) (executive producer)
    "American Gothic" (1995) TV Series (executive producer)
    "Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995) TV Series (executive producer)
    "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" (1995) TV Series (executive producer)
    Darkman II: The Return of Durant (1994) (V) (executive producer)
    Hercules in the Maze of the Minotaur (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    Hercules in the Underworld (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    Hercules and the Circle of Fire (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    Timecop (1994) (producer)
    "M.A.N.T.I.S." (1994) TV Series (executive producer)
    Hercules and the Lost Kingdom (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    Hercules and the Amazon Women (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    M.A.N.T.I.S. (1994) (TV) (executive producer)
    Hard Target (1993) (executive producer)
    Lunatics: A Love Story (1991) (executive producer)
    Easy Wheels (1989) (executive producer)
    Dead Next Door, The (1988) (executive producer) (as The Master Cylinder)
    Evil Dead, The (1981) (executive producer)
    ... aka Book of the Dead (1982) (USA: première title)
    ... aka Evil Dead, the Ultimate Experience in Grueling Horror, The (1982) (USA: closing credits title)
    ... aka Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead (1981) (USA: complete title)
    Within the Woods (1978) (executive producer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I love these 'there's no train line like that in New York!!!!' criticisms in a movie about a guy who can shoot webbing from his wrists battling a man who has four thirteen foot tentacles grafted to his body :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

was i the only person turned on by mary jane telling peter "go get them tiger"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

I was incredibly disappointed...don't know why, I wasnt a huge fan of the first one either.

There were some great individual scenes, and spiderman winging his way through NYC was really well done but as a whole it just felt really disjointed and predictable.

There seemed to be no 'bigger picture' and you were left to tie up the loose ends yourself....I was actually bored at some parts of the film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

i agree with aine, i just couldnt believe how horrible a movie it was, just too cheesy to be good, i understand a bit of chesse, but my god!

• Advertisement
Advertisement