Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping issues with IOL

• 16-07-2004 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Is anyone having any porbs with pings while online using IOL BB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What sort of problems? What are you trying to ping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 30ms

No, mines doing ok. IOL Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

hmmmm, unrelated but heh someone might know!

i just got wireless 512k/512k - and i can ping anywhere, i want to do tracerts though, if i use ping plotter it will show the amount of hops to the destination server, and then on the last hop it will give the ping and dns info - it dosent show any info for the hops along the way - and i badly want to be able to see

so...

i tried my isdn again

iol gold - shows all hops
    iol anytime - shows all hops
    eircom anytime - shows none(destination unreachable) - cant even do a ping in dos to a website
    eircom subscription - shows none(destination unreachable) - cant even do a ping in dos to a website

whats the problem with my wireless and why wont eircom isdn do pings or tracerts?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Sorry should have made 1st post more detailed, i am having ping issues while playing games online, like COD, UT2004 and others.

While im playing its all good ping of about 40, 45 in games but then every now adn again i get really bad spikes, go up in the 700's and then also just hang for about 3-5mins at times.

Might be a Game realated issue more than the connection, check your game rates.

I know that IOL have a slight spike every 60 seconds or so, but its nothing major .. well in dos anyways.

do a ping in dos

try

ping games1.iol.ie -t

and let it ping for a good while, and see if you pick out and major spikes, usually it pings 30-40 and spikes at times to 60.

• Advertisement

actually did a long run at it there roughly every 30 - 40 secs, I get a spike to 100 ms MAX, this isnt that nice to be perfectly honest, but it shouldnt result in what ure talking about. Though still would be much better (and really for broad band should never spike) if it just wouldnt spike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Tried that a keep getting request timed out.

Ah well i think i might be changing my BB provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    actually did a long run at it there roughly every 30 - 40 secs, I get a spike to 100 ms MAX, this isnt that nice to be perfectly honest, but it shouldnt result in what ure talking about. Though still would be much better (and really for broad band should never spike) if it just wouldnt spike.

Well the most likely cause of both this and the original post in this thread is not IOL's fault, its more likely some other application is accessing something on the web, anything from a weather service u have installed to windows update, on an irc channel that gets a flood of data......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

just got IOLBB yesterday and cant ping at all???

anyone know what the prob is?

Well I know I used not be able to do pings, but I can these days.

Though I heard that they did disable ping requests, (pinging sites).

Im on the Plus version, maybe pinging is disabled on the lower service.

-Coz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

You need to go into the modem/router and set ity to allow pings.

Advertisement