Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close The Dump Really!

Options
  • 16-07-2004 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Is there some kind of deep significance to the "Really" that I'm missing, or is this just the stupidest slogan ever?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this the Kinsale Roundabout Traffic Jam dump?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Spose it is... Unless theres protests for an as of unyet created super dump out in Bottlehill.

But yeah.. Close that dump up, Really! (we're not pullin yer leg like...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah Mike, it's this campaign that's been going on for years, must be more than five at this stage. I've never heard of meetings or anything like that, but I regularly see cars going past with "CLOSE THE DUMP REALLY!" stickers in the back window. And they're not old stickers, they're quite new looking.

I don't give a toss about the campaign though, I mean can understand why some people would want the dump closed (although no-one ever seems to understand that there has to be a dump somewhere), but jesus, what eejit came up with the slogan?

No comma rymus, so not only is it a stupid slogan, it's a gramatically incorrect stupid slogan.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

curses, my hardon for absolutely 100% perfect grammar has foiled me again. I'm afraid I can't bring myself to repeat the actual slogan, as it violates my religious beliefs. Not to mention my religious briefs (yes, I stole them from the bishop).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Ah this brings back memories of a couple from a couple of years ago argueing with my Dad as to what the hell the slogan meant. It has to be the most idiotic slogan ever thought up. We came up with many suggestions as to what it could mean but our end decision is that it is just grammatically incorrect.
    One of our suggestions is that the "really" is supposed to be some kind of stern order in response to the council saying that they will close it but never have.
    As in "Close the dump [stern face] really"
    All in all they are idiots though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Dinner must be great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fear teh dump. Bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

What is the point of closing it.

Someone will only go an build 100 €500,000 cardboard box houses, with red roofs, and one car driveways.

You know it wil happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Is there some kind of deep significance to the "Really" that I'm missing, or is this just the stupidest slogan ever?

adam

It's because the Corpo were told to close the dump but got an extension by claiming that they had no-where to go and it was going to be a recycling area etc etc. So the slogan is asking that the dump be really closed and for the Corpo to stop dickying it up and trying to reduce its impact etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Maybe it's supposed to read

"CLOSE THE DUMP? REALLY?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

No. Money Down!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by parsi
    It's because the Corpo were told to close the dump but got an extension by claiming that they had no-where to go
    Well, to be fair, they don't. Nobody wants the dump anywhere near them. They've been fighting that battle for years.
    and it was going to be a recycling area
    And a damn fine one too.
    So the slogan is asking that the dump be really closed
    That's what I thought. Now that I have confirmation, I still think it's an utterly ridiculous slogan.

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement