Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing skepticism to the masses

Options
  • 17-07-2004 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I see that there was a talk yesterday at the Galway Arts Festival by Francis Wheen:

In his latest book How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World: A Short History of Modern Delusions, Francis Wheen evokes the key personalities of the post-political era - including Princess Diana, Osama Bin-Laden and Nancy Reagan's astrologer - while charting the extraordinary rise in superstition and emotional hysteria over the past quarter of a century. From UFO scares to dotcom mania, his hilarious and gloriously impassioned polemic describes a period in the world's history when everything began to stop making sense.

This is a good way of spreading skepticism and critical thinking - talking to the non-converted.

Brendan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

That book made a big splash in the media a few months ago and even inspired big newspaper articles outside the book pages. But who actually bought it?

I compared that book's Amazon.co.uk sales rank with a few others:

How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World - sales rank 6,062
    Eats, Shoots & Leaves - sales rank 5
    PS, I Love You (by Cecilia Ahern) - sales rank 17
    Secret Language of Birthdays - sales rank 3,953

The author of that last one "combines astrology, numerology, and his own psychic intuition with his many years of observation of the people he has encountered". I never heard of the book before yet it comfortably beats the Wheen one for sales.

On the face of it, it doesn't look like the non-converted bought the book in droves. Perhaps they didn't attend the lecture either.

That said, it was a nice stroke to slip it into an arts festival where at least it would come to the attention of a large number of people, most of whom would have no particular Skeptical leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I have read it and it's not quite a page turner. Some of the arguments are quite involved and philosophical. If you are looking for something that the public can buy in droves then it has to be at a read on the bus/by the pool on holiday level. While I enjoyed Mumbo Jumbo it isn't that sort of book.

Got any ideas on ones that may be? Sagan's Demon Haunted World springs to mind, but its probably a little too strong again. But I was pretty impressed with "Bad Medicine : Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Distance Healing to Vitamin O" by Christopher Wanjek. It's limited to medical topics but it is informative, funny and a page turner to use the blockbuster blurb.

Advertisement