Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angel signs new Villa contract!!

• 17-07-2004 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

FROM SKY SPORTS.COM

ANGEL SIGNS NEW VILLA CONTRACT
    Friday 16th July 2004

Juan Pablo Angel has resolved any uncertainty surrounding his future by signing a new four-year contract with Aston Villa.

The Colombian striker has been rewarded by the Premiership club following his exploits last season which almost helped Villa in to a European spot.

Both Liverpool and champions Arsenal had been linked with a bid for Angel, who had two years remaining on his previous deal.

Villa had been in talks with the forward since the end of the season and have finally wrapped up a deal to keep Angel at the club until 2008.

The Midlands side had warned Angel last month that even if he refused to pen an extension, he would not be sold.

But after Angel returned for pre-season training this week, Villa have moved swiftly to tie up the loose ends in their negotiations.

Club chairman Doug Ellis is delighted Angel has committed his future to the club and is looking for the South American to maintain the same vein of form next season.

"This is great news for everybody at Villa Park - the fans, the board, the staff and the players," Ellis told the club's official website.

"Juan is an important player and we're delighted to have agreed a new deal.

"Juan Pablo Angel played a key role in our revival last season and we're confident he can carry that sensational form in to the new season."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super buzz! That's Mellberg, Barry, Vassell and Angel all signed up on new 4 year deals. Hitzlsperger will sign a new deal shortly.

Apparently, Mathieu Berson, his agent and the Nantes chairman are flying into Birmingham for talks with Doug Ellis on Thursday. Nantes have softened their approach after realising the players heart was not in playing for them next season, so they've decided to cash in. This is a player who Nantes rejected a £12 million bid from Juventus for this time 2 years ago. He's still only 24.

... and according to todays Daily Mirror, Villa are favorites to take Nicky Butt on a season long loan???

Also.... Ray Ranson - the guy who headed the consortium who made a takeover bid for Villa last season has officially withdrawn his interest in the club. He realeased a statement to the London Stock Exchange yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its good news for Villa , he's a quality striker and I suspect will score many goals this season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by wynters

... and according to todays Daily Mirror, Villa are favorites to take Nicky Butt on a season long loan???

how can we if we already have charlton cole (not 100% sure on the situation here, has he signed or not?) on loan from chelsea? only 1 player in from club in the same league isnt it?

but yeah berson would be a quality signing as would butt. lets hope ellis splashes a bit of cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Great news.Im sure he will continue to improve and score even more goals for us next season. The mirror aren`t the only paper speculating about a nicky butt move to Villa,I saw a similar article in the star last week.i think that he would be a good addition to our squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by Sundy
    how can we if we already have charlton cole (not 100% sure on the situation here, has he signed or not?) on loan from chelsea? only 1 player in from club in the same league isnt it?

Nah that rule no longer applies. Last year birmingham had both Maik Taylor and Mikhael Forsell on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Great news about JPA! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I always knew he would, and I think DOL deserves a lot of credit for getting the best out of Angel and making sure he stays, Villa have needed a striker that will gurantee 20 goals a season for a long time and I think we might just have one now.

As for Butt, I think he would be a good addition, but the way I see it at the moment is that McCann is a dead cert for the CM position and his style of play is very simalar to Butt's, I think what we really need is someone with a bit creativity we haven't had that since Merson left. I think Solano and Barry are dead certs for starting on the wing.

IMHO the best team from what we currently have is:

______________Sorenson_______________

Delaney_____Mellberg__Laursen______Samuel

Solano_____McCann__Hitz(Butt if he moves)__Barry

____________Angel_____Cole____________

Bench:Postma (Henderson young Irish Keeper)
    Vassell, Whittingham S & L Moore, Ridgewell, Davis (Irish also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DOL wants another 3 players before the season starts:

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,859339,00.html

Advertisement