Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manowar

Options
  • 17-07-2004 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I've got the Kings Of Metal c.d. and it is mindblowing!It's such a kickass album,really really amazing tracks.This post however is not merely about how great tracks like Blood Of The King or The Crown and The Ring are.I wanna get more of MANOWAR's albums but am unsure as to what album I should get next.I've heard a lot of crap by them,mainly songs like Carry On and the self titled MANOWAR.In contrast they've really really kick ass tracks like Defender and Metal Warriors.Any advice on what albums I should invest in would be greatly appreciated!
    Other bands play,
    MANOWAR KILL!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Manowar are one of my fav bands of all time.. Definetly get Hail to England and Fighting the World.. yeah they are two really good albums to get next..
    As for songs check out
    -brothers of metal
    -the gods made heavy metal
    -master of the wind
    -battle Hymn
    -hail and Kill
    -return of the warlord
    ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My Kings Of Metal CD was stolen yesterday... :(

Triumph Of Steel is a great album too. Achilles: Agony And Ecstasy In 8 Parts is a massive half hour long feast of guitars, screams and drums. There's Metal Warriors, which you know, and The Demon's Whip is a personal favourite of mine, if you skip the overlong whispery intro.

Ooh, and have a look at Sign Of The Hammer too, if only for Thunderpick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

"...fans who are here to rock, not pose
    wearin' jeans and leather, not crackajack clothes."

I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

2 other excellent songs are "Ride The Dragon" and "Gloves Of Metal."

"Reach for me dragon, we'll meet in the sky, like fire and magic i am sworn!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

"May your swords be wet
    like a young girl in her prime"

Ghey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yes, I agress, Manowar are awesome musicians, they get a terribly bad rep for like being total chesse, but that just a bit of a laught really, some of their proepr music, it just top class.
    Manowar - Sign Of The Hammer is probably my favourite, but the other one you mentiona re also good, especially Achilles, Agony and Ecstast In 8 Parts wich is like a mini album in its own right.

How can you not like a band so serious about themselves that they sign their record deals in their own blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Manowar rule. Fighting The World was the first Manowar album I ever heard, Kings Of Metal was the first I bought. Into Glory Ride remains my favourite though. If you don't have it, get it, though they're all great. I'd push Hail To England too, for those who are more familiar with the new stuff.

A lot of people disregard Manowar because of their look but they stayed true to Metal when loads of other bands were bending over and biting the pillow. They are top class musicians and they write great Metal anthems.

Just had a flashback of going to see Sepultura in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in 1990 and hearing Carry On playing over the PA shortly before the lights went down and Sepultura came on. It was an emotional moment. :)

DEATH TO FALSE METAL!

Edit -> for recommendations, the first albums - Battle Hymns, Into Glory Ride, Hail To England and Sign Of The Hammer are all equally good IMO. They are essential for anyone who is into real Metal. Fighting The World was a shift in sound, a cleaner production and Kings Of Metal was a continuation of that. Some folk don't like Fighting the World and think it's too commercial, it does have Blow Your Speakers and Carry On on it, but it also has Defender, possibly the greatest Metal song of all time. After Kings oF Metal, Ross The Boss left and Dave Shankle came in for Triumph Of Steel on guitar. Rhino also replaced Scott Columbus for this album, it's probably Manowar's most technical album and one of my favourites. Then Karl Logan joined for Louder Than Hell which is a fine, fine album, not too dissimilar to Kings Of Metal in it's sound. Warriors Of THe World is the most recent studio album and it keeps going in that direction. They have released two live albums, Hell On Wheels and Hell On Stage. Hell On Wheels concentrates on the latter era and Hell On Stage has the great early days stuff.

I'd say get Hell On Stage, it'll give you an idea of the earlier albums and the Manowar live experince, than take it from there.

Metal Daze
    Dark Avenger
    March For Revenge
    Hatred
    Gates Of Valhalla
    Bridge Of Death
    William's Tale
    Guyana (Cult Of The Damned)
    The Warrior's Prayer
    Blood Of The Kings
    Sting Of The Bumblebee
    Heart Of Steel
    Master Of The Wind
    Outlaw
    The Power
    The Crown And The Ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I have hell on wheels and hell on stage.. 2 amazing albums

"The gods made heavy metal
    They saw that it was good
    They said to play it louder than hell
    We promised that we would
    When losers say its over with
    We know that its a lie
    The gods made heavy metal
    and its never gonna diieeeeee!!!" *cue solo*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Keep on runnin
    we always will
    where other bands play

MANOWAR KILL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Originally posted by Sarky
    How can you not like a band so serious about themselves that they sign their record deals in their own blood?

Nick Cave signed one of his record deals (can't remember if it was for Mute for the Bad Seeds or whether it was earlier for the Birthday Party) with his own blood. Of course, his blood was also opiate ridden as he had just shot up and used the needle as his pen. Now that's rock and roll (and vaguely scary too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

rofl
    omg manowar..i cant believe people actually like them. No offence, you can listen to who you want but...manowar!!! lmao..theyre a living joke!! The codpieces..the musclebound men in baby oil with big moustaches...theyre the most homo-erotic band known to mankind!
    as a side note..anyone know the name of that song they released, where manowar are all riding around on thier harleys in the video, sticking it to the man, and the song was "time to burn! you losers better learn! noone controls our goddamn lives!" It was the funniest damn song ive ever heard in my life and id love to download the video :D
    Drinkin! fuckin! rockin! partyin! so strap your nuts to your leg, cause were comin to your town to BREAK THESE CHAINS!

That's precisely why I listen to them; They're funny.

They're still extremely talented musicians though, and the music itself is pretty damn rockin'. Nobody ever said Manowar lyrics weren't cheesy(The song Pleasure Slave is a case in point) . But everyone needs some cheese/power metal now and again! Long live Manowar!

Originally posted by Deadwing
    The codpieces..the musclebound men in baby oil with big moustaches...theyre the most homo-erotic band known to mankind!

Dude, if you're uncomfortable with your sexuality that's ok, in time you'll learn to accept yourself ;)

Manowar kick ass! I listen to them for the music, but... hey, whatever rocks your boat, you know? :p

dude im perfectly in touch with my homoheterosexuality lol.
    I think its manowar who are confused...they probably think they look all tough and manly, while actually looking like something off the cover of 'ass bangin studs vol 4: bowlin' in his colon" :D

But does anyone know the name of that song, please!!

They've scored more chicks than you and I can dream of. Small price to pay IMO ;)

Anyway, the song you're so eager to get the video for, for whatever reason, is Return Of The Warlord.

hey ive scored chicks..and i didnt have to grease myself up and wear a codpiece to do it ;)
    lol....thanks for the help anyway doc J...DEATH TO ALL FALSE METAL!

No worries man.

If you're looking for great lyrics may I be so bold as to suggest you look up their debut album opener 'Death Tone'. :D

I think you'll enjoy them immensly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Carry On is one class motherf*cking song. Gorgonzola....yes. But a nice aged vintage Gorgonzola!

Interesting fact:- Set a record as the loudest band in the world at 129.5 decibels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Was this at Monsters Of Rock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Yeh they used to use 13 tonnes of amps!

Anyone here see them? i hope they tour Ireland soon, but theyll prob do it in the middle of my GCSE's next year! grr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've seen them loads of times. They haven't played Ireland since 88 (still got the shirt). Best gig of my life was seeing them in Brussels a few years back - the gig's on their new DVD. No one would support them on the last gig of the tour, so they supported themselves. One and a half hours of old material, followed by a half hour break then one and a half hours of new stuff.

Quite simply, the best live band of all time.

Warriors of the World is their best album to date although apparently they are currently working on 'the best heavy metal album ever' according to Joey Da Mail:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

holy war // manowar // carry on // blackwind, fire and steal

fighting the world would be my favourite of their albums
    followed by the triumph of steal.

also the hell on earth vol III dvd is class.

Advertisement