Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outfoxed

Options
  • 17-07-2004 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

looks like an interesting film, must try and get the DVD... I saw John Gibson bitch about it on 'my word', saying that they ignored some of the other memo's that would refute their claim.

I dont think theres any ignoring the bias of Fox, obviously the other stations have bias too, but Fox has a vicious and hardline right wing stance, just check out their stuff on foxnews.com, especially the opinions (all their shows are presented by avid republicans, and they dont even try to be anything else).

I was thinking of sueing MTV because they dont actually have any Music anymore... I'd certainly say theres a case for stopping fox news' claim of being 'fair and balanced'

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

obviously the other stations have bias too,

News is indded biased. It is sensationist & tabloid.

They cover "hard luck" case studys instead of anything that is positive or progressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i got this from another site

"There is a great video of Al franken catching Bill O'Reilly
    out in one of his lies at a book expo in the states. Bill O'Reilly
    is also on the panel. His reponse is just to try and yell 'Shut up'
    over him.

http://www.booktv.org/feature/index.asp?schedid=196&segid=3630
    "
    what it revealed to me was if you watch all of it you'll se how often he goes how people are out to trick you and how he was wronged or betrayed....

it really shows how paranoid he is, or convinced he's never done anything wrong in his life?

Originally posted by Cork
    News is indded biased. It is sensationist & tabloid.

They cover "hard luck" case studys instead of anything that is positive or progressive.

are you saying that all news is sensationalist and tabloid, or just some, Cork?

I know fox is, and most news is bias (all news stations get bias at some point or another).

flogen

Originally posted by chewy
    i got this from another site

"There is a great video of Al franken catching Bill O'Reilly
    out in one of his lies at a book expo in the states. Bill O'Reilly
    is also on the panel. His reponse is just to try and yell 'Shut up'
    over him.

http://www.booktv.org/feature/index.asp?schedid=196&segid=3630
    "
    what it revealed to me was if you watch all of it you'll se how often he goes how people are out to trick you and how he was wronged or betrayed....

it really shows how paranoid he is, or convinced he's never done anything wrong in his life?

jesus, I've only watched 5 minutes of that, and he's showing his true colours... some woman said he was disrespectful to a family member of a 9/11 victim, he shouted over her, called her a left wing fanatic and said he wasnt going to discuss it anymore with her. No spin, just arrogance and ignorance.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

<sigh> how many times does it have to be pointed out ..
    On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.
    http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2003/03/the_truth_we_ca.html

so Fox can use the First Ammendment to report that they are Fair even if it is known to be a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    so Fox can use the First Ammendment to report that they are Fair even if it is known to be a lie.

Are you sure?

I couldnt' follow the link off that page to the details of the ruling, but it is a far cry to extrapolate that when one specific case is thrown out of one court that the judgement will effect all possible cases dealing with any violation of any other rule in a vaguely related manner.

I would point out, for example, the number of warnings etc. that are in ads to prvent litigation from people taking inaccurate or incorrect meanings (or even implications) from what the advertising said. You know the stuff....the Simpsons can't stop taking the p1ss out of it.

"Fair and Balanced" is - in a very real sense - a form of advertising. That may mean it can be held to the same standards as advertising in general...where lieing is most certainly not protected by law.

Finally, don't forget that court decisions can be overturned, or simply deemed inadmissable. Prior to that Florida case you draw reference to, stations could be held liable.....and it can change again.

jc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The last line is my extrapolation - if they can lie, they can lie about themselves.

as for one case - anglo saxon law is based on precedent hence all the test cases.

http://www.fair.org/media-outlets/newscorp-fox.html
    http://www.goldmanprize.org/recipients/recipientProfile.cfm?recipientID=106
    http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/features/nadertext.htm
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,38493,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I enjoyed reading this dash of objectivity from an American media-watcher. He is writing a review of the subject movie, "Outfoxed". I've changed "liberal" to "left-wing" and "liberals" to "left-wingers".

"Is there anything funnier to watch than the Left suddenly discovering the virtues of journalistic objectivity? Left-wingers arrogantly have ruled the news media roost for decades, regularly demeaning conservative ideas and leaders in their ongoing quest for progress and enlightenment.

"But now that Fox News Channel is on the scene, dominating the cable news scene and showing America that TV news can be something different than the suffocating consensus of the left-wing establishment, the left is in a panic. Objectivity is needed! Democracy itself is in danger!
    "Fox became a menace on the media landscape that should have been aborted before birth, a blatantly biased and bullying blight on America.

"That’s the sour theme behind 'Outfoxed,' a new Michael Mooresque documentary funded and circulated by the radical lefties at MoveOn.org and the so-called Center for American Progress. A summary of its thesis comes very near the film’s end when John Nichols of The Nation proclaims that Fox must be stopped because it 'limits' and 'narrows political discourse.'
    "It doesn’t help matters that Robert Greenwald, the creator of 'Outfoxed,' is a very sloppy amateur at the science of media analysis. Actually, it’s worse than that. This film is so dishonest that it leads one to conclude that left-wingers attacking Fox just can’t get the job done honestly. Fox must be picked apart as if everything it does has never been done a million times over by the left-wingl competition.
    "The left-wing media elite’s double standard in journalism extends to this shoddy film, which they’ve promoted as another noteworthy brick in the wall of anti-Bush anger. If conservatives ever tried to make a documentary about the left-wing media this amateurish, it would either never be mentioned, or it would be pounded until it was flat as a pancake, and deservedly so."

http://www.mediaresearch.org/BozellColumns/newscolumn/2004/col20040721.asp

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I agree that labels are often pretty silly, but I'd say that in the U.S.A., "liberal" is taken as meaning "left-wing". There is a new term there, "libertarian", which seems to cover the Ayn Rand-ish shade of political philosophy that might be the corner you are painting yourself into. However I don't think Americans like to dwell on "class" and "left-wing" or "right-wing" in the way that happens among the "left-wing" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Uhm, not sure is this appropriate (mods move or delete) but if anyone wishes for a copy of Outfoxed give me a shout. I'm not going to organise one of those viewing parties but I'll give a copy to 5 people (postage payed) if they also agree to give 5 copies to other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

looks interesting there's a trailer for it here

Advertisement