Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to multi-link cable and dsl connections

Options
  • 17-07-2004 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I just got ntl-max installed and I still have my dsl connection. I'm going to cancel my DSL but will have to have it for two months with Netsource rolling contract. So I was thinking about multi-linking the two connections so that I can get the most use out of the 1mbps cable and 0.5mbps dsl now and when ntl upgrades to full 1.5mbps next month, for the two months. Hence the question about how to run the two connecitons simultaneously.

I have a switch a4nd both modems are ethernet but only onw network card and windows 2000. If I put a second card in - can I do anything else to get the two connections multilinked or do I need two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Might have got an answer in the broadband forum after all cable / dsl both boradband???

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You've 2 different IP addresses from 2 different service providers.
    Even if you use NAT to put them both in the same range you'll still have 2 seperate gateways.
    Best you could hope for would be fault tolerance.
    You could also maybe do some messing about with static routes and proxies but it would probably not be worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I've seen this question asked a few times before and the answer has always been you cant do what you want with W2k (or XP) , someone suggested Windows server 2003 or linux might be able to do it.

Best you might be able to do is get some load balancing software so new requests are sent down the quietest connection, but dont quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Goggle for linux load balancing, and have a go, if you're up for it. You'll need another PC to handle it, and feed it into your main machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Your IP's are probably dynamic so you'll probably have to use a box to bridge the two connections (linux or summit) with 2 nic's. One provider wont route outbound traffic originating from the others IP so you need to set up static routes to swap packets between the two nic's giving the ISP the impression that the traffic is coming from their address space. As for the load balancing thats the tricky part I've never done that so I cant suggest anything.

If your IP's are dynamically assigned you'll need to change your static routes as the IP's are refreshed.

Advertisement