Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Filters when have more than 5 phone ports

• 17-07-2004 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I am looking into buying some DSL filters before we get broadband in and I'm wonding what the story is with large numbers of phone ports According to the good people at excelcus you need to get a dynamic filter if you have over 5 phone ports. Does anyone know does this mean you have to use all dynamic filters if you have more than 5 ports or can you use non dynamic filters for the first 5 then dynamic for all the rest?

also would there be any benefit to useing all dynamic filters even if you don't have to?

cheers!

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

in my house we have 6 phone ports...

I got three from my isp and bought 3 more at www.a1computers.ie

No probs experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Fair enough, you didn't notice any loss of phone call quality? also were either of the DSL filter sets you got dynamic?

Cheers!

the filters i bought and the filters i got from the isp were exactly the same..

as for dynamic i dunno what that means

if anything my phone quality has gone up since installation of bb but i think that has nothing to do with the filters

My understanding is that Dynamic filters only start working when you actually pick the phone up so in most liklyhood only one of them is activly filtering at any one time, that is the one you are talking into. I guess non dynamic ones just filter all the time and perhaps excessive use of them degrades voice calls.

As a matter of interest how much were the filters you got? I have ordered some from expensys since I first posted I think they were 7.50 each with a DSL port and a phone port on them. Hopeing I didn't get done!

:)

i bought three and they were €21.50 so u got done only a little.. plus delivery

written on them is:

excelsus z- blocker model z-230tj

• Advertisement

ahh not too bad, the non dynamic ones were 3.50 so don't feel too bad! I guess I'll just have to make up for the cost by acting superior while asking my friends if their DSL filters are dynamic and turn my nose up at them if they are not...

Just to make the best of a bad situation ;)

Thanks for the input!

Advertisement