Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new memory hangs system

Options
  • 17-07-2004 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

Got new faster memory for my motherboard which is KD7-raid....the memory is Samsung 3200 512ddr (400mhz) now system does be fine for ages then sometimes it freezes....i have updated the bios.The last memory i had in it was a 512ddr 2700(333Mhz)....

Ihavent changed any of anything in bios as it automatically picked up my memory and it says it does support....so why does it freeze from time to time....other nite i left it on all nite downloading a file which i suppose there was no loads on system..

now as i come to think when there is a load put on it,it might freeze,,e,g a graphics game or burning a cd/dvd.......but its been on now all day and froze once when my son was playing spiderman game.....any idesa to why this is happening...it has never happened with other memory,,,

thanks...

P.S cpu is a AMD xp 2100 running at 266mhz....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey mate,

Theres no point in having Pc3200 memory in your system at all. If your CPU is running at 266mhz FSB (133mhz x 2) then your Ram is only running @ Pc2100. Which means even your Pc2700 is overkill.

Also to take advantage of it you would need to have your FSB at 200mhz, firstly that board doesent have an AGP/PCI lock and secondly im pretty sure it doesent support that speed anyway.

Try a memory benchmark like SiSandra with yout memory the way it is now, and then try running wi 1:1 with FSB ....... ie 266mhz. Results should be the same, or mabye a little up on the 266mhz 1:1 setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

thanks will do....i seem what u mean.....by my CPU.....do u know which CPU would be better for my system...i think the bios flash i did ages ago lets it go up to xp2800+ i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

It supports 333mhz FSB chips which means it should go up to Xp3000+ but that chip is a waste of money. The max id go for would be an Xp2800+ .

Or you could try putting the FSB to 166mhz and stabilise the chip with a little extra voltage? How new is the chip? The jump from 133mhz to 166mhz leaves a clean divider, just make sure it changes........... or it might corrupt your hard drive. (or just list the divider options and ill tell you which one to pick for 166mhz )

ok ill post divider....MB and Cpu are about year n half old....

thanks

by divider is this what u mean?....

ratio(fsb,agp<pci) there is 3 options 3:2:1....4:2:1......5:2:1

at moment i have the 2100 running at 2600+ while the fbs is at 166mhz and memory is 333mzhz....the voltage i havent touched its a default 1.600V....

• Advertisement
Advertisement