Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL DHCP Problem

• 17-07-2004 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Strange one this - If I was to configure a range of addresses for a DHCP server I would normally avoid addresses that begin with "0"

i.e. 192.168.0.0

or ending in 255

i.e. 192.168.0.255.

For the past week I've been having problems connecting to some sites
    - timing out etc - while other users have no problem connecting. This came to a head last night when trying to get info from a site I knew was up. I checked firewalls, routing tables, proxy server addresses, - everything but no difference. Then I noticed my i.p. address was xxx.xxx.xxx.0. I rebooted my router a few times to obtain a new address not ending in "0" and all was ok again. The sites I was having trouble with were fine again !!

Is it normal for ISP to dole out IP addresses like this ?
    Why do some sites not answer requests from these addresses ?

ZEN

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

As far as I know it's a bug. I've suffered this problem before. Unfortunately IOL don't reset your IP with ever disconnect anymore so I had to force an IP on my router, luckily I found one that wasn't in use, and I had the internet working again.

It's a royal pain. .0 and .255 are special IPs are aren't supposed to be used anywhere, from my networks studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Unbelievable.

You would expect your ISP to know a little about this stuff, wouldn't you?

XXX.XXX.XXX.0 is the network address, and XXX.XXX.XXX.255 is the broadcast address of the network. Neither of them will work as client addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nosferatu

.0 and .255 are network and broadcast addresses for /24 networks, with classless subnetting IOL don't necesserally have to dole out IP addresses from blocks of /24s.

Whether or not that's a good thing I'm not sure It does increase the number of addresses they can use, but it's possible other networks filter out .0 and .255 assuming they are broadcast traffic from a class C network. This could be what zener is seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Could be nosferatu. Windows sometimes breaks when its assigned .0/.255 as an ip though, so it could very well just be that. In any case, it's not one of the smartest things iol have ever done.

Your best bet Zener is to just keep releasing the ip until you get a non- .0/.255 address, which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As I said things are fine now but I was surprised at the IP address I'd been given and the varied effects it had.

Thanks for the replies lads - maybe there is some other poor sod out there who is having the same problems as I did and he may happen across this post.

ZEN

• Advertisement
Advertisement