Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB - Strange Request

• 18-07-2004 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering if IOL/Esat would temporarily increase my bandwidth from the flat 512k connection to maybe a 1 or 2 meg line for about 24/48 hours... does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, what extortionist prices do they charge?

Thanks,
    Zoro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm sure they can do it with a flick of a switch, but since this is ireland they'd probably get you to sign up to some contract for like 12 months when you only want it for a couple of days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

That's my problem - I'm sure that I'll end up with a huge bill for only 48 hours of increased traffic. I'll see what I can find out - does anyone know of them doing this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

out of interest... why?

The only way you could possibly get that done would be to talk to a manager, i.e. get past the goons on the first/second and even third row of tech support, and head straight to the top.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't see it happening, not a bloody chance in hell, unless you know somebody very very very high up the food chain (such as director of the company) I've seen the stops pulled out for owners of companys and mangers etc and all sorts of stuff but not something like that.
    I give you a 0% chance of getting it done :D

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    1: out of interest... why?
    2: The only way you could possibly get that done would be to talk to a manager, i.e. get past the goons on the first/second and even third row of tech support, and
    3: head straight to the top.

1: I wanna host a mini lan in my house for myself and a few friends - and when you have 10 nerds in a house, you're gonna need more than a 512 connection :)

2: I agree, it'll be difficult, and I doubt it'll be done, but I would like to know if it's possible to have the bandwidth increased temporarily!

3: I do have a contact number for a manager there ... but I've misplaced it. I'm gonna have to have a good look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by zoro
    1: I wanna host a mini lan in my house
    If it's a LAN keep it as a LAN, then you don't need and big pipe.

Originally posted by Victor
    If it's a LAN keep it as a LAN, then you don't need and big pipe.
    Good point :) But it's actually a LAN that'll be mission control for a tournament with a few English / Dutch /*edit* non-dublin friends that we have. And that obviously will need a big enough pipe to cope :)

*edit 2*
    My god I'm a nerd :) <shakes head> :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by zoro
    Good point :) But it's actually a LAN that'll be mission control for a tournament with a few English / Dutch /*edit* non-dublin friends that we have. And that obviously will need a big enough pipe to cope :)

*edit 2*
    My god I'm a nerd :) <shakes head> :D

Yes you are

But its ok so are the rest of us :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Definately let us know how you get on! I'd be fairly interested in seeing if this works for you.

Alternatively, if you know someone with IBB Ripwave, you could bring their ripwave box to your house and see if it works there. If it does, get said friend to ring IBB and request a bandiwdth increase for the needed time, and tell em why aswell. Hopefully that might work out if IOL won't help.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Definately let us know how you get on! I'd be fairly interested in seeing if this works for you.
    I will indeed - I don't recall seeing anything like this on the boards before, and if they do allow it, it could become popular amongst the heavy gamers!
    Alternatively, if you know someone with IBB Ripwave, you could bring their ripwave box to your house
    You won't believe this ... but I'm METRES outside of the range of that :) I measured it on a map, on the net, on my hand, EVERYTHING! Their coverage maps show that the signal ends at about 3-500 metres from my house ... aint that a kick in the nads? :D
    Originally posted by damnyanks
    Yes you are (a nerd)
    But its ok so are the rest of us :p
    Well, at least we know it :)

• Advertisement

Update 1:
    Tech Support - 1890 923 111 -> P*ss off and go to Sales on blah blah
    Sales Support - 1800 923 111 -> P*ss off and ring 1904
    1904-1 -> Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, "Press 1 to have us call you back, press 2 to stay waiting" *presses 2 "Welcome to queue buster, leave a name after tone...BEEP" *hang up*
    1904-2 -> Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, "Press 1 to have us call you back, press 2 to stay waiting" *presses 2 "Welcome to queue buster, leave a name after tone...BEEP" *hang up*
    1904-3 -> Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, "Press 1 to have us call you back, press 2 to stay waiting" *presses 2 "Welcome to queue buster, leave a name after tone...BEEP" *hang up*
    1904-4 -> Ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, ring ring, "Press 1 to have us call you back, press 2 to stay waiting" *presses 2 And FINALLY back to the waiting room.

Isn't Irish support fantastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nosferatu

I don't think IOL could increase your bandwidth even if they wanted to! They buy wholesale from eircom, so eircom sets the bandwidth for them. They currently don't even offer a 1meg product so I don't see how they could give something for a weekend that they can't even offer to their own customers as a service.

Update 2: Brian (apparantly in middle management at 1904) put me on hold for a while, as he checked out my query.
    Comes back and says that it's physically impossible to have my line upgraded to a 2meg connection.
    I ask why - Surely if I was to use my registered company's name, I would be able to get a 2meg line installed with no difficulty? He stammers and stutters, he didnt expect me to have a company - assumption is never a good thing.

Eventually he says that the highest that the residential package offer is the 512 connection (i had to EXPLAIN to him the difference between bandwidth and download/upload cap) and that he would have to transfer me through to Business Sales as they have a 2meg line (which I already TOLD YOU you blo*dy fool!)
    I have a suspicion that he was telling a bit of a porky when he said that he was management.

Business Sales: (didnt get a name - stupid me :() Informs me that it's not possible to do what I want to, and that he'll transfer me to Residential Sales to enquire about it there. (I JUST TOLD HIM THAT THEY TRANSFERRED ME!!)
    Oi! You! I _HAVE_ a registered company so if needs be I can use that for the temporary switch.
    "Ah, ok then ... hang on" *do do do*.....
    "Ok, are you still there? It will take 3 weeks to switch your line from residential to business - and your residential package will have to be cancelled (which I will have to pay to the end of the term anyway remember) and a new business package will be signed up (2 year leases I think ... is that right?) ... so it's completely impossible to have this setup for the 48hours that you require, and then put back down again"

Not fair :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As expected, you were wasting your time with IOL Residential, your best bet was with Esat Business but it was extremely doubtfull if they'd do such a thing for you, again see my previous posts for that reason

:)

The best you'll get is a 1MB line from Esat Business at €90 a month for 2 years, otherwise see Netsource etc

yeah i know - but it was worth the try anyway!

It's a shame really - they could've made a quick buck outta me :) I wonder how much would ACTUALLY be involved in what I want ...

And I'm stuck with Esat for a few months yet (December) so I won't be goin anywhere yet.

Unless NTL get their act together (soon I hear ;)) and then I can get some REAL broadband :D

Advertisement