Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilbert management

Options
  • 18-07-2004 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭

My boss is like a character from Dilbert. What do I do?

He doesn't use spellcheck, even when complaing about peoples spelling erors. ;)

He's so tight he ran out of petrol the out night ("I was trying to keep as much money in the bank as possible").

"I was trying to keep as much money in the bank as possible" = "I was trying to not max out my credit card."

Refuses to employ a proper techie. Then complains of computer downtime.

Won't talk to staff collectively.

Bitches behind people's backs.

Refuses to do repairs - complains the place is untidy, but theres a leak in the roof.

Bulls***s customers with incorrect information. It comes back to bite.

Incapable of having a coherent roster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Welcome to my world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

someday if we all work hard enough at it, we will learn to be as apathetic as wally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I used to work for David Brent's evil twin brother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Victor
    He doesn't use spellcheck, even when complaing about peoples spelling erors. ;)
    How about adding his spellings to a custom dictionery only used for him..

Bulls***s customers with incorrect information. It comes back to bite.
    Can you refer them back to him, or email him for clarification, cc'ing the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Can you refer them back to him, or email him for clarification, cc'ing the customer.
    Doesn't work. All it does is create recrimination, disappointment for customers and me having to fix things anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Not much of a help, but good for a giggle...

dilbert2004071149418.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Leave....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

This sounds like a small business or perhaps small department? - Respond with ironic sarcasm and a poker face - that usually shuts idiots like this up for a while, sadly they like the sound of their own voice so they'll start up again soon enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He sounds totally competent compared to my last boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have a had problem bosses like this is the past, and have never found a way to deal with it. I've either moved department or left the job. Lifes too short to be run ragged by an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I once worked in place where a new boss was imposed upon me about a month before my review. He was from a different background (computing) and I had little respect for his skillset. I possibly made this a little too obvious.

So I got a ****ty review. I immediately resigned and started taking two-hour lunches (there was a three month notice period). This guy wanted to sack me outright. His boss knew she needed me until they got a replacement - a month before I left. I did not change a thing for that month - except encouraging the replacement to take 2 hour lunches with me- to "improve" the handover process :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

Why should you do anything?? He's the boss...he pays the wages...why do you want to reform him? Maybe it might suit you to leave him there! Sounds like you could use the situation to your own advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes I've heard that "you're brighter than him/her, you can work him/her" line before. Power tends to be more (how do you put it?) powerful than intelligence.

A crappy boss can totally wreck your head (and your career).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

But if you want to get to the top you have to learn to use people like this so that they don't realise it. It is a cristunity.

But if you want to get to the top you have to learn to use people like this so that they don't realise it. It is a cristunity.

I don't know where the original comes from but I like this quote:
    Eagles may soar - but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by cleareyed
    It is a cristunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

A crappy boss can totally wreck your head (and your career).

You can say that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

One day while I was working for David Brent's evil twin brother he came to me and asked me to edit a link out of the company web site.

"I've found out that they sell adult sex toys and I don't want this company to be associated with that sort of thing" he said very seriously and straight-faced-ly.

"Yes boss consider it done" I replied.

Boss turns to female employee at adjacent desk, "Yes that company sells vibrators. You wouldn't know what a vibrator was would you Sandra?" he said with a leer.

I would not have believed it if I didn't hear it.

Had a totally freaky Dilbert moment today - a guy I've worked with over the years, gradually going bald - only today I noticed it - he's now (not my boss) the pointy-haired boss in the Dilbert cartoon (just in appearance, but it is freaky when you cop on to it!)

I've met Homer and Ned Flanders in work before - this is my first Dilbert (look-alike) character. (dead-ringer look-alike!!!)

Advertisement