Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undemocratic

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Seriously lad - wake up! You voted to give bertie the power to make the change. There was no mention of a time frame for doing so... Why do youcare anyway? Aside from your obvious prejudices against these people what have they ever done to harm you? Numbers wise there's not a problem ... but then again to some people 1 is too many. (gut feeling and all that)

We can vote next month on when we change the national flag to a swastica as it will soon be more representative of this state....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Pompous and an indication that he's too lazy too get off his hole and find out what was done about it, so because he hasn't heard about it he assumes nothing's been done and starts pissing and moaning on the Internet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Victor wrote:
    There is no constitutional imperative to legislate. Remember the idea of having an amendment is something that only came about a few months ago - they people weren't marching in the street demanding an amendment.
    Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that because the Const has been changed... the right that they had is now void.

There is no need now to legislate except to set out exceptions and conditions.

Sounds like a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

The government played a classical chess move, they preyed on the fears of working class people and the prejudices of the upperclass brackey and won kudos to divert attention away from all their other cock ups at the time.

It didn't divert attention, and the results of the local and European elections shows this. People were not fooled. I understood the proposal perfectly well. People have more intelligence that you credit them with.People must have felt the proposal had merit or they wouldn't have voted for it.
    We can vote next month on when we change the national flag to a swastica as it will soon be more representative of this state....

Oh Please! :rolleyes: Suppose you think the same about the rest of Europe then for also denying automatic citizenship to the children of all non-nationals born there? Especially Switzerland which just voted in a referendum against even allowing the grandchildren of non-nationals to get automatic Swiss citizenship. We do not compare badly at all to the rest of Europe in terms of generosity or lack of it.

In life, you always have to look after No.1 first. Countries are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chill wrote:
    Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that because the Const has been changed... the right that they had is now void. There is no need now to legislate except to set out exceptions and conditions. Sounds like a job well done.
    Will get back to you when it's not the middle of the night.
    Boggle wrote:
    Nah, they cancelled that one because nobody would nominate Dana and it wouldn't be worth having a referendum if there was no election. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Especially Switzerland which just voted in a referendum against even allowing the grandchildren of non-nationals to get automatic Swiss citizenship.
    And it was a far closer call then the vote in Ireland, despite some of the more extreme parties using mathematics you would be especially proud of to show that implementing the law would mean Switzerland would be 90% Muslim by 2040. Of course, the same math showed that Switzerland would be about 114% Muslim by 1050, but, y'know....they just ignored the criticism and blared their message of "fear the hordes" out regardless. Sounded surprisingly familiar, funninly enough.

And my understanding wasn't that it was about giving them right, but rather making it easier...which I understood to be a unification of the process so that it was the same across the nation rather than varying canton-to-canton.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bonkey wrote:
    2050?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Errr...yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

Even more undemocratic things have happened in this fair republic.
    The Presidential Election.

Have we lost our right to vote just because Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and Labour decide that they like Mary McAleese?

Those B*st*rds

Advertisement