Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishbroadband.ie now broadband is in the air...

• 18-07-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey, I saw this ad in the paper saying "no wires, no worries, just fast affordable broadband without the need for a landline. Starting from just 29.99 a month"

What I want to know is how fast the upload speeds on this satellite thing are. I have heard that satellite is fine for downloading but for playing games it is really bad, does any1 know what it's like? And can I somehow use it for xbox live also?
    Because if this is what it says it is then I'm gettin it because my line failed the test.
    I just really really wanna play games with broadband and wanna know if it's much better than 56k for games and what speed it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

it is not satellite www.irishbroadband.ie or do a serach for IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ok I went to that site and it had Home breeze and Ripwave and with both of them you had to be within like 5km of an "activated big building" and these are in the usual places where broadband is already available for christ sake, I live in Lusk, North Dublin and I am not near one of those buildings, that means I can't get Ripwave or home breeze either? What is the point of it being wireless if it is not even as widely available as normal broadband. So there is no way for me to get broadband if I can't get these

Just keepin the post near the top coz I really need an answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I have Irish Broadband at the moment, it's not satellite but its called fixed wireless networking, you can get whatever speed up and down that you want, I'm running 1mbs down 512k up

AFAIK They are rolling out new highsites steadily so they will be covering alot more areas in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Generally you get the same speed up as you get down, e.g. 512/512 or 1024/1024 or 2048/2048 etc

Pings are very low for the Breeze Home stuff, but ripwave is higher, generally 15-25ms higher than eircom etc in-game.

I've had no real problems in the last 5-6 months, but i used to have interference problems, which were sorted eventually after 2 months of bitching. Their ew equipment is supposed to be interference free though... but only time will tell.

EDIT: This should work fine with xbox live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Call Me Jimmy
    Just keepin the post near the top coz I really need an answer

Did you ask IBB for an answer?!
    Irish Broadband are located at:

Burton Court
    Burton Hall Road
    Sandyford Industrial Estate
    Dublin 18

Telephone: 00-353-1-4818400
    E-mail: Sales@irishbroadband.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The NLOS Ripwave seems to be rolling out pretty quickly. I phoned as I'm moving to Pearse St soon and they said that area would be up-and-running next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Nothing IBB is involved in rolls out quickly. They certainly promise to roll things out but the reality is very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Their ew equipment is supposed to be interference free though... but only time will tell.

Their new equipment is running off a higer frequency Mutant_Fruit. The 3.5Ghz spectrum requires that you have a license to broadcast across, unlike the unlicensed 2.4Ghz spectrum - which means that any man and his dog and transmit across it and there's a LOT of noise, eg. a mate of mine was having ferocious problems off the RTE mast and after months of head-scratching turned out it was UCD running a wireless network across campus or some such during 9-6pm hours.

The 3.5Ghz wont have that noise, is - as pointed out - a different frequency ergo no interference from 2.4Ghz, and allows for a stronger, further reaching transmission signal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What is the point of it being wireless if it is not even as widely available as normal broadband.

It doesn't use the phone line
    So there is no way for me to get broadband if I can't get these

If you are not on an esat or eircom enabled exchange then dsl is prob out of the question

U are also out of IBB and Ntl's range

Maybe satellite might be an option for you or Irish wan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

What is the point of it being wireless if it is not even as widely available as normal broadband.
    The point is that it can EASILY be made more widespread than DSL. It can easily be made to cover 90% of the population. It can easily allow everyone within 5km of the highsite (i tihnk range is increasing with new gear) to access the broadband, without fear of failing a "line test".

The only problem is it takes cash to set it up. If you gave IBB or any wireless company a blank cheque, they could probably have all of dublin, cork, and several other counties all wired up within a year.

Moonbeam, after months of waiting my exchange was enabled and people all up and down my street have it.... they just say I have failed the line test....

Advertisement