Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need more memory?

Options
  • 18-07-2004 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

A bit of a newb Q

I have a Mushkin 512Mb DDR RAM PC3200 Level One stick in my system and i was wonderin if i got another 512mb of cheap ram with it would it bottleneck the mushkin?
    i would want to overclock it a bit and to play farcry

My system is a 64 3000, msi neo plat, samsung 160g, 9800pro and a 400watt casage (foxconn) psu

And has any one heard anything bad about casage(foxconn) psu

any help appriciated

Me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Firstly yea the cheap Pc3200 Ram will effect the performance of the Mushkin Ram as it will have to use the slower memory timings of the cheap Ram. Mushkin L1 is great memory, and also overclocks well........ if you can id stay with it.

Ohh and the MSI board is very picky about memory so theres a chance cheap ram will cause you problems or not work at all.
    And has any one heard anything bad about casage(foxconn) psu

I havent heard a thing about them, which in its self is bad. How much did it cost?
    Thats a pretty powerfull system, having any re-starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

I havent heard a thing about them, which in its self is bad. How much did it cost?

It came with my case http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5760 all i know about foxconn is that its one of the oldest manafacturer of all those little things in the computer cables connecters cases fans psu etc. it dates from the early 70's and is taiwaniese. i've just looked web site and it seems huge it even has production facilities in Ireland.http://www.foxconn.com/about/introduction.asp

but no one cares about that i'd just like to know if they are any good.
    Mushkin L1 is great memory, and also overclocks well........ if you can id stay with it

So think if i did want to buy more mem i should get another stick of mushkin level one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well it wouldnt be one of the top brands anyway. Monitor the voltage rails and see how she does under load........ that will give you an idea.

Id recomend getting the same ram TBH.

Try....
    www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk (free delivery)
    www.jes-computer.de (€18 delivery)
    www.excaliberpc.com ($13 delivery)

There some of the cheapest places you will find for your memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

www.shop4memory.com - free delivery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 coolegraine

most programs at the moment use less than 512 and will actually run faster now than if you add another 512 of slower ram, as those programs will run slower matching the total memory speed even though not using half of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

:rolleyes:

therefore, buy RAM that at least matches the spec of your existing RAM. Lots of new games will gladly use more than 512MB (unless you're still on poxy Win98) - such as Far Cry/UT2004/Doom3.

Advertisement