Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic projector prices

Options
  • 18-07-2004 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the going rate for a new panasonic PL-L500U projecter is back in Dublin,

I just bought one in Singapore and I think the price is so good that I should pick up a couple more and flog them back home when I come back.

BTW - once I saw this thing run there is no way I could return to 32inch tellies :eek: Should be fun when the premiership starts ....

Also does anyone know what the going rate is for a second hand philips 32" pixel plus tv in top condition??

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

EUR 1,693 from Komplett.ie

Panasonic PT-AE500E

pH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Even at that price I highly recommend it :) If that is kompletts best god knows what the high street must be charging for it

It gives a fantastic picture and is quiet to boot as well. And cheap for a 16:9 HT projector with native SXGA.

Anyone know anywhere in Ireland or preferably online that delivers to buy a decent screen?

Thx

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How much are they in Singapore? Any prices on the Hitachi PJ-TX100, a similar, tho slightly better spec'ed model.

Matt

I agree it's a great projector, mine is just up and running.

I made my own screen - MDF painted with icestorm 5 - 40 euro and looks great. Not so good if you want retractable though!

pH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

The MDF spounds like a good idea. I'll have a go at it as a temporary solution until I can find a retractable screen

Price in Singapore is €1190 (VAT is 5% here and I can claim it back when I come home)

Expect the savings for the Hitatchi to be pretty similar :)

Dave

• Advertisement

Originally posted by pH
    I agree it's a great projector, mine is just up and running.

I made my own screen - MDF painted with icestorm 5 - 40 euro and looks great. Not so good if you want retractable though!

pH

Did you use a Pad or Roller to paint the MDF? Im getting some Goo Systems paint with the projector from NexNix.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

For screens go here...top class guys and great screens

http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/

I used a roller

the sheet of MDF is 244 x 122, which B&Q cut down to 218 x 122 for a perfect 16:9

I saw the screen Goo stuff and thought it was expensize, how much did the can cost you?

pH

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gorm

Only seen this thread now...
    Be aware that the L500U and Ae500e have one difference I konw of, namely the Ae500e comes with a SCART socket where as I haven't seen one on a L500U

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Scrap the scart its an awful way of connecting devices....get a convertor for next to nothing if you must use scart e.g. sky digibox to projector.....

otherwise componet or rgb if possible

http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/dec-cable.asp

• Advertisement

The SCART cable is the most common way of connecting RGB. RGB on 3 separate cables is rare.

Also my AE500 with a Sky+ connected via SCART does auto widescreen switching (PIN 8 I think). So SCART is actualy pretty good if you are connecting to a Sky box.

For DVDs a nice 720p DVD player is much nicer :)

pH

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gorm

SCART socket on AE500e is enabled for RGB as well as Composite video. Depending on who you believe its a toss up as to whether Component video or RGB is better, but the AE500E supports both. The problem with a SCART connector on a lot of equipment is that RGB is not supported and composite video is used, which is the lowest common denominator.

Originally posted by pH
    I used a roller

the sheet of MDF is 244 x 122, which B&Q cut down to 218 x 122 for a perfect 16:9

I saw the screen Goo stuff and thought it was expensize, how much did the can cost you?

pH

Prices as per NexNix, 1L Base Coat £18, 500ml Top Coat £55.

After doing a screen 213x101cm with 3 tops coats we appear to have a little left. I found the base coat too thick to use on a roller properly. I did a second, smaller screen with some base coat as a test with a pad, seem to go on fine, no streaks, but the pad added a "texture", like lots of fine lines running vertically in the pad sweep. May not be noticable in the distance however.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Matt

Let us know how your GOO screen turns out. Assuming you went for the Digital Grey Base and top coat... was it the Grey or Light Grey you went for?

V.

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Matt

Let us know how your GOO screen turns out. Assuming you went for the Digital Grey Base and top coat... was it the Grey or Light Grey you went for?

V.

Hi Vex,

I went for Grey Lite. None left in can and one roller "streak" on the righthand side thats visible under very bright shots (may dry out over time however). Given the chance to do it again, would be much easier.

From my experiences, here are some guidelines:

-Use a bigger roller, the emulsion is so thick it jams the small rollers. Bigger roller means smoother spread of top coat too.
    -Consider watering down last few top coats (which are just to smooth out anyway, the colour remained the same from the first coat)
    -Consider "Grey" over "Grey Lite", which is lighter than expected.
    -When drilling the wall to attach the MDF sheet, secure the screen lest it falls over, hits a wooden remote control holder and leaves 2 black marks on the screen you spent 20hrs working on, leading to much swearing.

I purchased 1000ml Base and 500ml top coat, no top coat left but lots of base coat. Managed 3 full coats of top coat on a 90" MDF screen. Definately get the Nexnix "floks", the self adhesive velvet for making the border, its very nice and easy to apply. Digital Grey Lite is actually quite light in colour, almost lavender hue to it. Its actually pretty decent looking in its own right, though the darker "Grey" would produce better blacks.

If anyone else gets some, I would much appreciate 50ml to 100ml of Top Coat, to touch up the two black marks from the fall. I have base coat to trade! I cant see them when sitting back in the seat, but it bugs me..

Matt

PS: It looks really, really good regardless of the problems I introduced. Much better than the screens in work, far superior to blackout lining. It simply looks like a giant TV screen.. with the Hitachi TX100 I dont get the feeling of looking at something projected at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

When drilling the wall to attach the MDF sheet, secure the screen lest it falls over, hits a wooden remote control holder and leaves 2 black marks on the screen you spent 20hrs working on, leading to much swearing.

Matt,

Ouch................ I feel your pain.......:eek:

I've obtained some Harkness Hall screen material for my fixed screen - there's a fair bit of work involved in dismantling the screewall and masking to replace the existing screen but I reckon it'll be worth it. It's uber-white, so I reckon gloves will be the order of the day, as well as extreme care to make sure it doesn't get bumped en-route.

I take it you're happy with the Hitachi ?

The Ritzzzzzzzz.

Yeah, I am! :)

I read your impressions on it before I got it, so perhaps my expectations were lowered, but Im definately impressed. I had an old 3M a few years back and most recently tried out a NEC 8850 (or figures close to that) 4:3 2600 ANSI Lumen model. For whatever reason, the Hitachi, with its 1200 Lumen output seems substantionally brighter, even when using the NEC in 4:3. Much quieter too.

Cant wait to try out some proper 720p content on it!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Got any pics Matt?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Matt,

Very glad you're happy with it - I thought that the Hitachi had a fine picture performance with good blacks - the Goo screen should be improving that for you too.

With regard to "lowered expectations..." ..... Posting impressions of a PJ is fraught with the danger of giving people (a) the impression that you're a self-important git and/or (b) creating false/reduced expectations. I would have hoped for neither outcome other than giving the honest informed opinion of an enthusiast...... I would still like to see the Hitachi running 1:1 pixel matched before making a final decision, although I'm leaning more towards a 16:9 DLP, based on reading elsewhere.

I agree with your comments about office projectors - I've tried a variety of these over the last couple of years as and when the opportunity arose - without exception they've all been poor performers for movie purposes - once one get's over the "Wow" factor of having a big image their shortcomings in terms of contrast and colour performance becomes obvious. Their inability to accurately render skintones in particular is a dead giveaway. The "light cannons" with 1500 - 2500 lumens are the worst - they have very washed out pictures, no subtlety...... With bright colourful Powerpoint presentations in well lit boardrooms they're fine but of extremely limited value for home use (outdoor movies on summer nights (if we got a summer..) ... that'd be a different thing !)

Glad you got a good result, try some Superbit material for eye-candy - Gladiator or Spiderman are worth a spin. 720p will rock your world..................:D, you can download a variety of demos from MS............Click here.... and prepare for some fun. If you have trouble with DRM there's some useful hints over on avforums HiDef forum (somewhere...)

Regards,

The Ritzzzzzzzzz.

Advertisement