Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbs

• 18-07-2004 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good book on Herbs .. more herbs of the world? what they taste good with .. where to find them .. medical properties if any .. that sort of thing.

*not sure if this is in the right forum.. please move if necessary*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

yeah .. then I'll just be buying random stuff... I mean't can anyone recommend a book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got two ...

I'd recommend "Herbs - A Complete Guide to Their Cultivation and Use" by Ann Bonar (ISBN 1 85501 217 0) as a good one which covers most "mainstream" herbs both from a culinary and medicinal perspective. It also contains a section on growing them, and has one or two recipes as well.

If you want something more encyclopedic, then I have "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs, their medicinal and culinary uses" Edited by Sarah Bunney from an original work by a couple of Czech authors with unpronounceable names (ISBN 1 85152 135 6). This also covers all sorts of plants that you possibly wouldn't even consider herbs, and which have no culinary use whatsoever, but are used in "alternative" medicine. The chief advantage of this book is that it's a typical "el cheapo bookshop" type book, rather than an Eason's, so it was pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

"Herbs - A Complete Guide to Their Cultivation and Use" by Ann Bonar (ISBN 1 85501 217 0)

I'd fully recommend this one - only herb book I've ever needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Cheers I'll see if I can get my hands on that :)

Advertisement