Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Folder annoyance

Options
  • 18-07-2004 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey,

This one is really annoying me:

I copy things alot from folder to different folders - up until recently everything was fine. However when i right click and select copy in the target folder it copies the item exactly where I right clicked - even if there is an icon there already it will sit behind it. Refreshing the folder wont line the icons up = the only way to do it is right click/arrange icons but this is just annoying especially when it use to just copy to the next free location in that folder no matter where you right clicked.

I'm hoping its a simple setting somewhere - does anyone know? Any help much appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

While we're at it..

How do you select a rectangle of icons on the desktop - it selects all icons on each row and if you hold down the control key and click them one at a time it auto copies them (and you can't control click the copies to delete them for obvious reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Dec2000:
    Have your folders set to Arrange Icons-> Auto Arrange using a right click.

Then when you copy new items into it - they'll autoarrange also.

Capt'n Midnight:
    Just drag a rectangle over them using the mouse & left click...that'll select the highlighted group.
    The reason you're getting the Copy of My Computer etc is because you probably dragged outside an icon (while intending to click the icon) and Windows creates shortsuts when you have Ctrl and drag conbined.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Thanks ColmOT

Was hoping it was just a simple setting somewhere

cheers

:D

Advertisement