Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little funny story about a sad little newbie.

Options
  • 22-03-1999 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

It was a messy game. It was the level where the 2 bases have launch bays and theres a tower in the middle of the map which holds 2 rocket turrets(don't know the name of the map)

Anyway, I set up a little mobile base west of there base, geared up as a heavy with a ammo pack (20 morters) and attacked thier base.
    I always took out their gen room. On my 3rd raid of their base, I destroyed thier gen as planned and then procceded to their flag. Their beside the plasma turret was an light enemy, 1 morter and he was taken out. However I saw very badly damaged, as in I had a puny tiny bit. I flew up the duct, went try that blue tunnel and entered the flag room, turned the corner to the flag and crap!! there was an enemy standing right in front of me. One hit with anything and I would die. You would think that, wouldn't you ?

However, the newbie enemy slapped out his repair gun and repaired me fully, before I slapped a morter at his feet and watched as he looked at the pretty green smoke before he was smeared aginst every wall.

I then was able to get the flag, and slowly get back to base with only one enemy conflict.

The moral of the story is, newbies do have a purpose and a use, its a memory i'll never forget. The only regret I have is that I don't have a demo of it !!

Regards,

Jade, Leader of the Clan Compliance sub Tribe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I didn't think such a thing is possible. You can't repair the nme base, so it's strange that you can repair the enemy.

Anyway it's rare you see a Heavy up at that flag room. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Jade

I had a mini base just west of their base Hobbes, like i said it was a messy game. And FYI there are always heavys in that base, ask teeth smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you have nme heavies in that base then your in serious trouble and no one bothered to put defenses up.

The gen room corridor is the weak point, a heavy can waltz down that and pretty much take out the gen on a ricohet.

But I can't believe you made it to the flag room. Normally that should be turreted/mined/cammed to death.

A morter around the corner fixes all that hobbes, attacking thier base with 20 of them is more than enough. The teams were 4 v 4 and with me keep on attacking thier base like I did demands some serious defending. They were all nobodys on the server anyway.

But when I got to their flag room, the only things there was a destroyed command and inventory station, the flag and that newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jaguar

OOOH sorry jade
    i thought you were just messin
    i had to kill you though you were
    too much of a liability.
    That will rarely happen where you are repaired by an enemy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Class story - you must have been laughing yer @ss off ... mmm to be a heavy in the enemy base on scarabrae ... do they allow such wanton fantasies on this web board ??? ... even better would be to be a heavy in their base with an inv station smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Ok ! you got in, I can't belive you got back with the flag .. wink.gif

but with the crop of loonies around at the moment I'm not surprised.... smile.gif

tip 10. Green triangle good - Red triangle bad

YuM

*sigh*

Like I said, it was a 4 v 4 game, and as for heavys in that base, ask the No.1 tribes player Dr.Teeth on what we did to thier base on Sat night,

Just because I can get into their base as an heavy and blow everything up and you can't doesn't mean it can't be done !!!

The wonders of a well structured team and APC transport.

And BTW Chungking, you are formally kicked from Clan Compliance.

Take it !

Huh? wtf?

d'ya mind telling me why?

I don't know why, I'll think of a reason later. smile.gif

Try not to take everything so seriously smile.gif
    You only live once, so enjoy it smile.gif

• Advertisement

Oh yeah Chung, you said how great it would be to be in their base with an Inv station.

On Sat night BrittPTT set one up at the back of their base. It was great, morters everywhere and run around back and recharge. Funny thing is no one noticed it for the whole game smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Sounds like a lucky escape wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dunno whether this is considered muppetry or not, its a kind of a grey area.

anyway last night on Raindance and Rollercoaster, I became enfatuated with the little trick of going screaming toward an enemy apc, whilst ur in a scout, just as its taking off from the pad. Rockets blazing all that...then going crashing into the apc destroying the pad, the craft and killing most of its occupants, basically a bad hair day for everyone. I felt like that guy sitting on the Nuclear bomb in Dr. Strangelove...wooohooo!..wahoo! smile.gif. Anyway I dont plan to do it much again in the future cos its -1 kill for you...but as an absoloute last resort tactic it works well.

That's funny, sometimes I feel that way driving home from work in my car smile.gif

- I've been taken out by a kamikaze scout before & don't see why it should be frowned on as a tactic - everyone dies & re-spawns usually back at their base so it's not like the kamikaze fella (or lass) gets a huge advantage...

Then again, it might be a good tactic if you have a few teammates in heavy & lite coming in behind ya - scatter the enemy, sow seeds of confusion and discontent smile.gif Alls fair in love and war, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

That *is* a bit sad. smile.gif The ICBM maneveour is good for when the APC is coming in towards your base, because you can respawn and get out and deal with the downed heavies shortly afterwards. Going all the way to their base JUST to crash into their pad is a bit much. But hey, if it works, why not? I'd prefer to get off my scout and do some REAL attacking though.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Fiend

Scouts are great for taking out heavies. I use it all the time in Raindance and other maps. Always eject before it crash into your target but that's not always possible due to lag and I've died a few times cause da eject button won't respond =) Using scouts to ram airpads is a bit much cause weak stationary targets can be easily destroyed with on board rockets.

Here's an example of what you can do with a scout. Know the pesky rocket turret in Raindance? That can be taken out with ease by in one trip on a scout. Hug the ground when you're heading over to the enemies base. When you see the turret head staright for it, fire a rocket. The turret will shoot back and hit you with 1 rockets max. Eject before you crash. The turret will be damaged by the rocket you fired and the explosion from the crash and it won't have full shield anyway because it fired a rocket. The turret is as good as dead and as you fall back down to the ground just fire a disc at it and it'll blow up. Works every time =)

[EM] Fiend
    Waahooo...get my old clan prefix back. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

F*ing brill weekend, cork with the lads. Birds, booze, and well let us say other exciting substances ....2 hours sleep over the weekend and feeling decidly ill I logged on last nite - I was playing against Jag and Jade, it was 3 v 1 so I changed teams to even them up.....getting murdered now, well and truely and I am trying to repair and organise stuff, and this ****er on my team (7-0 down - 2 v 2) is screaming 'I need a target' laugh, I nearly soiled me self, but on the next map we were getting well and truely gang raped and my friend did it again. I need a apc pickup (now 3 v 2 against us).....(30 secs in and two nill down) er get a grip me hung over head said - so I went a bit psyco and eventually logged off (best for all I think) to bed early, er no, fall asleep in front of the oscars at around 4 am and 4 beers later - into work this morning (feeling greeeat as tony the tiger says, and some tosser has sent a virus infected email around....I crushed him like a paper cup smile.gif

I have to live the pain - you lot only have to read it smile.gif
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Getting to the point jade cop on, I dont know any of you from adam but chung's cool and he would be in my top 5 players regurly on IGN, so chuck him away and watch him join Tribe "oh look were getting raped by teeths tribe again" smile.gif

I dont mean to sound like garry liniker, but i dont like the kamakazee thing, its, well, not very sporting, you have to jump real early to avoid getting fragged - I prefer the whole hand to hand thing, jumping and disking ppl smile.gif (except when I'm sniping, then leave me alone wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 22-03-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well im not suggesting its a tactic that should be adopted by everyone, its just a last resort for a desperate situation. Anyway, when youve spotted the APC loading up with 4 heavies and warned ur team of the incoming enemies, destroying that APC on the pad makes valuable time for your team to get ready for the assault, as the enemy will try to mount another one as quick as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nahh... if you want a cool kamikaze tactic with a scout, try this one on Raindance...

Fly in a direct line from your base to theirs. By the time you're nearing their base, you will have sustained about 50% damage.... now aim the scout at the entrance to their generator, and just a split second before you hit, eject. Boom.... you take out any turrets on the way in, and any idiot who happened to be standing there. Now drop a grenade down to do for any other turrets, jump down and say bye-bye generator and inv station...

Ja na,
    Shin-chan

Hey, no problem, i'm relaxed, just didn't think it was very funny & was kinda surprised to see it after a post from me which referred to your post as a 'class story'.

Anyway, I would love to see CC get together properly & look forward to matches against other organised tribes. There are other tribes out there, but it would be cool to continue with CC where we are getting know each other.

smile.gif

Maybe next time we can fight side-by-side rather than against each other as has happened in the past smile.gif

catch you guys later - gotta get back to my coding - fun *yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adrenfreak

You should see my patented beautiful attack On Scarabrae... Get to the flag tunnel with an inv station, and hop up there, and Im usually never noticed. Clean it out with plasma and mortars, and in most games, they won't hear you coming in. Also, not many take the time to check that their turrets and cameras are alive. Set up the inv, and walk on in, killing all in your way. I did this last night with two heavy defenders in the Flag room... They'd been repairing each other, and two mortars later, they weren't anymore. smile.gif
    It's even more fun to set up turrets in the nme flag room, no more then 2. They walk in to cap, you return and walk away happy. smile.gif

I catch you upstairs in my base adrenfreak & we'll see who comes away smiling smile.gif

Access Deenied!

The reason you can do that in many instances is the usual lack of defense and/or inexperience. One of the first nites I was defending in the flag room i was doing intelligent stuff like standing beside a mined flag & a turret - one grenade/mortar from an enemy incursion and blammo!

The next nite I held off teeth/sherpa/fiend and others in a shielded heavy just making sure I had a turret in the little hallway preceding the flag room (more useful to let me know someone was coming). I also had the top corridor turreted, but that's hard to maintain & defend the flag at the same time.

But ... it gets pretty damn boring in that room - even with the central tower rocket launchers to play with (assuming the tower is captured). Last night I played defense on scarabrae from the roof & followed enemies that got by into our base (suggestion by dr_teeth) and that worked pretty well.

I think as teeth has said before in another thread, the flag room on scarabrae is pretty damn hard to get into/out of when facing even a reasonable defense - hence the usual skirmishes over the central tower.

Advertisement