Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 512/128 enough...

• 18-07-2004 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Is 512/128k enough for 2 online games at once? Using a Netgear DG834 atm, pings shoot up to 700 when playing 2 online games simulataneously (Pc - counterstrike, and a playstation 2). When played seperately they're both perfect, sub 40 pings usually. Surely this can't be right...? :ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i have no problem with that connection speed and 2 pc's gaming at the sametime
    do ps2 games use alot more upstream bandwidth than most pc games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not really, no. When I used to share to the Ps2 via Sygate I monitored the network usage for the ps2, and it never went above ~4.8k/s in any given situation, thats pretty much the same as alot of pc games, I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the ps2 takes 4.8kB, counterstrike takes 3.5kB total= about 8kb. Thats about 2/3's of your max upload, and that means you will be experiencing some problems unfortunately.

There is nothing that can be done about that, unless you get more upload speed, which means more money for a faster product.

Or go wireless, where you get 512/512. :p

Ah crap! :( Should these problems increase pings to 700 tho? Should be moving house in 4/5 weeks (just as IOL contract expires), so will be on the lookout for a faster service then! ;)

[edit]

its just odd, cuz (as I forgot to mention :rolleyes: ) the playstation2 and BF1942 run beautifully side-by-side online.

it all depends on how much upload bandwidth each game takes. You wouldn't really want to be going over 7-8kb/sec upload if at all possible

• Advertisement

:eek: Suddenly makes broadband feel a little, weak I guess. :( Ah well, thanks for the info man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Your upload is only the speed of a dual ISDN which is pretty slow.

Im surprised BF192 and Ps2 work ok tho as i wooulda thought that bf1942 would take more bandwidth. Infact i know it does if the server is anyway populated.

Yeah, thats whats confusing me, bf1942 works fine in full 32 man servers! My ping goes from just under 40 to just under 60, still with perfect reg, and the ps2 is still perfectly playable too. But a CS server with 8 people in it seems to just go nuts! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by Einstürzende

its just odd, cuz (as I forgot to mention :rolleyes: ) the playstation2 and BF1942 run beautifully side-by-side online.

Thats probably because battlefield deals better with high pings. Still need a lot of downstream to run it though. You may be able to allieviate your problems a little if you have a gateway computer running Linux/BSD by installing Wondershaper or trickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

512/128 is fine for playing multiplayer games with more then one person on your network, your better off with a router though, regarding your ping it depends on the game, I regulary play 2 or 3 people on my lan in battlefield vietnam and it never effects our pings playing online.

The issue is not so much the download speed its the upload, but 128 is about 16k to play around with, which is loads for multiplayer games

• Advertisement

I'm using a Netgear DG834 router. So I have that aspect covered :( Really confused!

I'm using the wrt54g wireless router/switch. The firmware i'm using (Satori from Sveasoft )has some QoS features. IE the ability to throttle certain ports. I don't know it will help in your case (I havn't tryed it yet). Any one elsehave experience using it?

I have a ps2 broadband adaptor. The game that came free with it (Twisted metal) does not like any other network traffic at all. It bombs out with a network error if any significant network traffic occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

But a CS server with 8 people in it seems to just go nuts!
    Could this be causes by punkbuster as i know this is constantly talking to pb servers (causes lag in CoD).

Only explanation i could think of.

16k beiong plenty for 2? I dunno. When i was on ISDN dual channel (before adsl) id have to set a dload pretty low (ie 2-3) for it not to affect my ingame ping.

What netspeed (dunno what its called outside UT) do u use for CS/BF. Maybe you get CS set to dsl while bf1942 is set to modem or something?

Hmmm... will check that when I go home, never changed any net settings with BF, whereas CS is optimised for DSL, yet nothing seems to change it! :(:D:D

As I'm moving soon, I'm looking at Eircon Business Plus (I think thats the name), 1024/256. Would that be enough for 2 games online, say using 5KB/s each?

the problem with the business dsl is interleaving is on high so higher pings than the home dsl :( (adds about 30 ms to pings)
    but apart from that ya that will work good for 2 people gaming at the same time

Hmmmm.... thats not fair! :( Lol. I can't figure out whats doing this tbh. Just hit me when thinking about it last night, the ps2 used ~4.8 downstream, can't remember the upstream. But surely it should be less. Back to the proverbial drawing board. Crap. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

i just check myself and my brother play ut2004 at the same time both pc's are using 5 kbs down 3 kbs up

dosnt sound like more then your ps2 is using

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the ps2 is using a similar amount. I may have to reset it up via ICS to see how much its using, as I can't find any diagnostics like that on the router, unless I can fingure it out from number of packets sent a second? Lol :)

each packet is a different size, there is no way to tell amount of data transferred from packets sent.

Crap :) Heh, according to PlayStation technical support Socom2 should never upload more than 192KB/s :eek: He hadn't a clue! :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    each packet is a different size, there is no way to tell amount of data transferred from packets sent.
    You call tell the maximum though, because there's an upper limit to the size of a packet.

But based on all the numbers posted on this thread, you should have no difficulty playing 2 games with the 512/128 service.

Advertisement