Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nantes - Cork City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by mike65
    but they have an away goal if that counts.

Cant see it being close enough to matter tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

All they have to do is win 2-0 and there in the semis......piece of cake.:cool:

easier said then done i'm afraid.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Nantes will be classy enough to sit back and pick them off, that's the worry. Cork will easily score twice though, and if the first is early enough, they might just do it. The away goal transforms the complexion of the tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

2-1 ok , 3-1 nope... oh well back to the drawing board for next year :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

With 8500 roaring the team on, on a small pitch, in an intimidating athmosphere there is no reason why City cant do it.

Added to that, hopefully Nantes will be complacent and think that the job is done.

Tickets are flying out the doors. Its going to be a big day. Anyone else from this board going?

• Advertisement

I'd fancy going if I was in the area, but I live in the proper capital, so no can do. I'd say the atmosphere will be electric alright, makes you wonder where all these will be for the next league game though.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I will most likely be there. And I won't be at the next league game, and I won't apologise for not being at the league games, since I cannot go to Turners Cross every week, I will make an effort for the big occasions. Theres no point sneering at a good attendance just because a big game brings people to the stadium who wouldn't be there otherwise

Ya, the next league game is a complete waste of time and money. its only the Munster derby between City and Waaherfurh. Always a terrible game, with only 3-4 goals, only 7-8 bookings, and a paltry attendance of 5000-6000. Why would ya be bothered.

Fair play to people who make the effort for the big games, but why not make the effort more often? It makes the big occasions all the more enjoyable. Seriously.

>Theres no point sneering at a good attendance just because a big game brings people to the stadium who wouldn't be there otherwise

Yes there is. Our league needs more paying punters if it is to develop, and have many more enjoyable European nights. That's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

all of nantes good players are back:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Bateman
    >Theres no point sneering at a good attendance just because a big game brings people to the stadium who wouldn't be there otherwise

Yes there is. Our league needs more paying punters if it is to develop, and have many more enjoyable European nights. That's a fact.

No there isn't. Sneering at them when they do make the extra effort is no encouragement. Not everybody lives 30 minutes from the pitch and have Saturday and Sunday afternoon free. I'm certainly not going to drive 8 hours to Cork and back every weekend to attend a league game, and when I do make the effort I don't expect to have people complaining at me for doing so. Our league needs to welcome all the new attendance it can get.
    Originally posted by gimmick
    Ya, the next league game is a complete waste of time and money.... Fair play to people who make the effort for the big games, but why not make the effort more often?
    I never said it was a waste of time; I don't know why you said that. And If you want to go around this Sunday asking everyone that question I think you'll find a variety of valid reasons. At least you have the right attitude, unlike Bateman. While attendance at regular league games should be promoted, a frosty attitude towards big crowds at special games is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

5mins gone in the 2nd leg, 1-0 Cork. Doyle with the goal. G'wan Caark.:D

www.103fm.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I didn't make this weeks match unfortunately but this is a fantastic start! Listening to it on the radio now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Listening to this at the moment. Gwan Cork!!

1 - 1 :(

Yep a major downer !

Nantes down to 10 men.

Nante down to 10 men !!!!

Full time 1-1 :(

Sounds like Cork did Ireland proud !!

Full-time, Nantes win 4 - 2 on aggregate. Cork draw 1 - 1 on the night. From what we've heard on the radio, City have nothing to be ashamed about, they've played brilliantly and managed to hold a Champions League team to a draw and even had the better of them for periods of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

well done cork nice seening irish teams doin well
    hope the shels can do it now

oh and by the way "cmon the town" on monday nite

What a match, what a performance.

We should have won that game. Nantes equaliser was totally against the run of play, and we had 3 golden oppurtunities to go 2 up.

The ground was full to capacity, ticket scalpers all round. St the end of the game, the ground was still full to applause a magnificent tean performance. Dolan was almost in tears. So was I! Never been more proud of a Cork City team. Outstanding.

Now its off to bloody Belfield for the cup game wednesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by gimmick

Now its off to bloody Belfield for the cup game wednesday :(

LOL horrible place to get to and i live in Dublin.

Well done Cork.

kdjac

It always seems to rain for an away in Belfield. Have a few jars in the Student Bar or the Montrose before the game and it doesn't seem so bad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Its a shame Cork arent in one of the bigger European competitons to fight Ireland corner know :( .

if they had made it to the UEFA CUP second round , they would have become loaded .

You don't exactly get "loaded" by qualifying for the second UEFA Cup qualifying round. Maybe enough to buy a few players in the trabsfer window, but definitely not "building a new ground" loaded or anything like that. And it depends who you get. You might get a team from a country whose TV stations may actually take an interest in the game and dish you out a bit of cash, but other that that, the UEFA prizemoney won't have you laughing all the way to the bank.

have u forgotten there is now a group stage in the UEFA CUP second round , or did you never know that ?

>if they had made it to the UEFA CUP second round , they would have become loaded .

It is hardly clear from that quote that you meant qualification to the group stage.
    I am aware there is a UEFA cup group stage. You (an Irish team) have to win 3 knockout preliminaries to qualifiy for it. And no Irish team will do that this season. If Bohs do, I'll eat my mickey and I'll lose my job.
    Some teams in Europe don't treat preliminary rounds as "rounds", but in Ireland we can't get presumptuous or too carried away, and "preliminary rounds" count as "rounds". :(

I never said any1 would qualify for the tournament itself.
    I just would have been nice if an Irish team had .:(

• Advertisement

I agree. Once it's Bohs. Because any Irish team who goes to the group stages of any European competition (Intertoto of 1995+ excepted) will dominate Irish football for a few years with the money, and that would be terrible. :eek:

Isnt it amazing. City frighten the life out of a top european club like Nantes on saturday, and lose 1-0 to bloody UCD in the cup on wednesday.

Only in Ireland

:rolleyes: :mad:

I don't think it's possible for players to raise their game in that kip, it's a dreaded fixture.

Yes Bateman it is a dreaded fixture.....for Cork City. Why is it that other teams can beat the Student menace evrytime, and we might get a draw off them if we are lucky.

Ive heard of Bogey teams, but this is taking the p*ss. Just a shame that they will be a boil on the arse of the premier division again next season.

Advertisement