Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control Plug

Options
  • 18-07-2004 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I saw one of these in someones house a while back. Basically if you have a socket behind a couch or something and you cant get at it to plug-in/unplug something you can plug this in and then plug the device/lamp whatever into it and you have a small rf remote control to turn on/off the lamp. I think philips make one but cant locate it, anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have one of these, but unfortunately it's knackered at this stage. It was a Phlips model. I must say they are incredibly useful and versatile..

We used to use it for switching on and off our central heating, powering our Xmas tree lights (inaccessible socket), etc. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Philips manufactures them anymore. We originally picked up ours from Superquin's superclub (very cheap), which is Argos.co.uk now..

Maplins seems to sell a couple of these products:
    A 4-Pack for 50 quid sterling
    A 2-pack (shakur?)product for 30 quid sterling (which is out of stock).

Both are RF technology (as opposed to Infra Red), which means they'll work through walls, etc..

Hope this helps..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have a look at X10. kit iv done a fair bit of work with it and its great for any home automation stuff

http://www.letsautomate.com/

You can use almost anything to trigger the plug to do what you want. I coded up a java app that let you controll your plugs from the web and SMS as well as generated SMS's to tell you your alarm had been triped.

X10 works by sending signals over your power lines. You address each X10 unit with a leter and a number (eg A1, B2, H2) then plug it in to a socket. The lamp or what ever is then pluged in to it. You can buy RF remotes, movment sensors, PC controlers, Electro-magnatic relays and loads of other stuff.

Iv bought form lets automate before so there is problems with them.

Advertisement