Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Me Mad

• 19-07-2004 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

I'd like to do something (apparantly) simple.
    I'd like to connect my broadband modem router (ZyXEL 623R-T1) and my wireless router (3COM 3CRWE554G72) together, letting the wifi router handle the DCHP.
    I'd like to do this, but no matter what I've tried, they won't talk.

Does anyone know something I dont?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

You have to put your modem in bridge mode for that to work, do this in the "wizard setup" bit on your zyxel modem. THen set everything up on the 3com yoke (DHCP, bb username + password etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Originally posted by Truckle
    You have to put your modem in bridge mode for that to work, do this in the "wizard setup" bit on your zyxel modem. THen set everything up on the 3com yoke (DHCP, bb username + password etc.).

THANKYOU!!!

got my net working first time thru the router, and believe me i'd tried everything I could think of (including turing the DHCP mode to "relay") but with no luck.

The only slight prob I have now is that i cannot access the modem's web-based setup prog (192.168.1.1) thou I can access the wifi's (192.168.0.2 which has a range from 3-255)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

The only slight prob I have now is that i cannot access the modem's web-based setup prog (192.168.1.1) thou I can access the wifi's (192.168.0.2 which has a range from 3-255)
    You're in a different subnet. If you really want to access it, you could change your laptop's IP address to 192.168.1.2, but the 3com router may not play ball. You could also change the 3com/wifi router's IP to 192.168.1.2, and the range to 192.168.1.3 - 254, and then you should be able to get to 192.168.1.1

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

In bridge mode, the ZyXEL is no longer part of your IP network - it's delivering the DSL connection and the ISP-assigned internet address to the 3Com's WAN port, but it no longer has an IP address of its own. That's why you can't see the web setup page. IF everthing's working the way you want it, though, you shouldn't need to go near it very often, if at all - I also use a bridge (Linux-based, but the principle is the same) and the most I've had to do with it in months is reboot due to a power failure.

that explains it so. i'd probably still be scratching my head here if not for all the help i received here, so thankyou

• Advertisement

there's just one more thing thou, when i do want to configure the modem I have to connect it directly into one of the pc's then I have reset the modem (because the PC no longer receives an IP from a router and so just picks its own (in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range) and wont allow me to access 192.168.1.1 until I reset, and therefore I have to go thru all the settings again, there must be an easier way than this?

the reason i want to change the settings is that i'm experimenting with dynamic dns, the modem allows you to use a dydns account (the wifi router doesnt incidently), so i've set one up. I've also configured an http server to run however now I have configue it so that it routes incoming connections to the machine running the server and also configure the router so it routes passive connections for a certain port range??

I'm just not sure what has to configured, the modem or the wifi router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you want DynDNS on the modem, you' ve only one option - double NAT. That is effectively two private networks - one very small one between the ZyXEL and the 3Com (192.168.1.x) and another between the 3Com and your LAN (192.168.0.x). This is what you were trying to do in the first place - it should work, but I don't have personal experience of your gear, so I can't be sure how you would set it up exactly. Broadly, it goes like this:

Set up the ZyXEL in router mode, as normal. Connect it to the 3Com with a crossover cable, and set the WAN IP address on the 3Com to 192.168.1.2. The two boxes should now be able to see each other. On the 3Com, that address becomes the external address, NATting to the internal network via the LAN IP address 192.168.0.2. Double NAT generally works, but as you can see there's an extra layer of complexity to potentially cause problems.

To enable external access to your web server on the 192.168.0.x network, you will have to forward port 80 on the ZyXEL to port 80 (or any port you like) on 192.168.1.2 i.e. the 3Com. You will then have to forward it again on the 3Com to the port of your choice on your web server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

Why not use a software DynDNS updater running on your computer?
    Should work with the exisiting bridge+WLAN router config and works perfectly well.
    At least on my machines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

Didn't work with the web based "wizard setup" for me...but if you use the dreadful telnet config screen and enter exacly the settings from this Zyxel Knowledge Base article it works perfectly fine as "dumb modem" connected to my Apple AirPort Extreme which provides the WLAN router functionality.

Advertisement