Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Load Temps

Options
  • 19-07-2004 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I've an athlon processor that idles @ 43degrees, 23 ambient temp. When running prime95 for a few minutes it jumps up to 58 and maxes out at around 60. Is this a bit dangerous? Should there be such a high jump in temp? What's going on? Answering any of the above would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If you tell us the core it would help - but personally I wouldn't worry about it - it just cuts down on the life of the chip; from 20 years to 15/10 are you really planning on keeping it that long? If it's a palamino then those temps are normal on high load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It's a mobile barton core. I intend to keep it for around 3/4 years. Hand me downs to the rest of the family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Such an increase of temperature usually shows a poor heatsink fan but a temp of 60 isnt a problem.

Could be that. The fan is attached to the heatsink. It's a coolermaster aero 7+, the copper one. I've taken the side of the case off to improve air flow cos they're no case fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Are you over clocking ? Did you get your chip from overclockers in the past few weeks ?
    I get them kind of temps my self with my stock heatsink and fan. If your cooler i would my temps would be lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What thermal compound are you using and make sure ya have the heatsink on tight

Yeah it's a mobile barton core overclocked from 2.08Ghz to 2.5Ghz. I'm using AS5 with the aero 7+. Could be a bad spread with the AS5 cos the aero 7+ is tricky to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If you put on too much the compound will act as an insulator rather than a conductor. Look up Artic Silver to see how to apply it

Advertisement