Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in Speeds?

• 19-07-2004 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Ok, probably just a rumour, but i have had 2 unrelated pple tell me there might be an increase from 512 to 700k? one siad the read it on the irish indo online during last week, but i am yet to see prof?

i am very sceptical myself, but has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

700k sounds like an unlikely number i have to say, unless you are referring to http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

In which case a simple search would have gotten you an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

On what service? NTL are increasing speeds later in August. As for ADSL I've heard of nothing:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

eircom are suppose to be launching an full speed home service (1 meg) so the regional sales rep says, there also suppose to be restructuring the business packages

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by Blitz
    eircom are suppose to be launching an full speed home service (1 meg) so the regional sales rep says, there also suppose to be restructuring the business packages

Would that 1meg home service be an automatic free upgrade for the homeplus/business starter package or would it be an optional 3rd package for home users? any word on cap increases? Any idea when all this restucturing will take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

not sure when it will happen, but he recons that home start will be replaced with home plus and home plus with 1meg service.

Business is set to be simular, Eircom change business plus to starter, and add 1meg as plus, keeping enhanced as the top package.

But its 1 meg down and 256up only from what he said, i presume everyone already on the plus packs will be upgraded automaticaly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

if indeed the speeds do go up for home plus, I do hope that latency is not effected, like the current 1meg service

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if eircom do upgrade us to 1mb i think it would have to be using the same radsl standard as many users failed for adsl but pass under radsl, hopefully if thats the case then we will continue to enjoy the pings that we have today. I think its a bit daft that eircom have two different levels in interleving for radsl and adsl. The interleving is set high for adsl yet the chance of line failure is higher than radsl which is on the low setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

I presume that if eircom upgraded there Plus package to the 1meg line that other Broad band providers would also fall in line and upgrade, for instance the IOLBB Plus home package :) ?

Anyways, the cap would most definatly have to be increased if the speed was to be doubled, do you think they would do this also?

If all this is true its good news for broadband in ireland.
    if eircom do upgrade us to 1mb i think it would have to be using the same radsl standard as many users failed for adsl but pass under radsl

its 1 meg down and 256up only from what he said

From this Upload / Download ratio, 4:1 it seems it is still Radsl.

Adsl being 2:1
    and
    xDsl (normal dsl) being 1:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by -ADREN-

From this Upload / Download ratio, 4:1 it seems it is still Radsl.

Adsl being 2:1
    and
    xDsl (normal dsl) being 1:1

Well not. The main difference between ADSL and RDSL is not the ration of download to uploads speed, it is in fact the maximum distance the between the customers premises and the exhange, with RDSL allowing for a premises to be further away..

Most ADSL/RDSL services in the UK are 512/256 while they are only 512/128 here. I think this is a business decision as oppossed to being limit by technology. VDSL allows for faster data rates when close to an exchange. SDSL (synchronous) means that the upload and download speeds are the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

if eircom do upgrade us to 1mb i think it would have to be using the same radsl standard as many users failed for adsl but pass under radsl

RADSL was rolled out as it allowed a more variation of bandiwdth speeds (between 256 and 512 i believe). Id say tis very unlikely that they'd sudden;y be able to give you 1mb speeds.

As has been said, ADSL is different to RADSL but not by upload/dload. Isnt Eircoms old business speed 1mb/128 (for example)?

xDSL is used to cover all variations od the technology where you replace the letter (ie A or RA or whatever) for the x.

Very few xDSL services are syncronous.

RADSL stands for Rate Adaptive Digital Subscriver Line (i believe) which basically means that it allows the distance to the exchange to be increased in exchange for bandwidth. Thats why most people on RADSL won't get the 60kB/s where as people on ADSL will get 63kB/s ( i realise this may seem high with overheads but they are the download speeds i get on ADSL).

• Advertisement

Ahh very good I see, must have got mislead some where down the line on all this before.
    RADSL was rolled out as it allowed a more variation of bandiwdth speeds (between 256 and 512 i believe). Id say tis very unlikely that they'd sudden;y be able to give you 1mb speeds.

So you just think its a rumour really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

RADSL can do 8Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

Originally posted by Da Man
    RADSL can do 8Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
    Yes and Eircom will be offering those services to the home market when I'm king of Europe:rolleyes: - forget it - we will not be seeing any speed increases from €ircon 512 is what we will be stuck with for 2 more years if not more:(

dunno, I feel optimistic about all this Braodband stuff happening in ireland atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i guess technically they could offer a 1 mbit radsl service that dopped to lower speeds if you were too far from the exchange or had too poor a line for the full 1 mbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by tuxy
    i guess technically they could offer a 1 mbit radsl service that dopped to lower speeds if you were too far from the exchange or had too poor a line for the full 1 mbit
    That's what rate adaptive already does.

yea but limited at 512k for us on the 512k radsl package at the momen. Opposed to getting a 1mb service and seeing if your connection would go beyond the 512k customers are limited at now.

no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can i ask a simple question?

what's the point in speculating that eircom will release 1mbit or higher when you have a crappy 8gig cap.

you'll just go through your cap twice as fast, unless they were to increase/demolish (i'll be king of the world before they demolish caps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    can i ask a simple question?

what's the point in speculating that eircom will release 1mbit or higher when you have a crappy 8gig cap.

you'll just go through your cap twice as fast, unless they were to increase/demolish (i'll be king of the world before they demolish caps).

because resellers could offer a 1 mbit service with a better cap of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by tuxy
    because resellers could offer a 1 mbit service with a better cap of course

oops for a moment there i forgot there were more than just eircom in ireland

• Advertisement

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    yea but limited at 512k for us on the 512k radsl package at the momen. Opposed to getting a 1mb service and seeing if your connection would go beyond the 512k customers are limited at now.

no?

Sure, I was just saying that rate adaptive already steps back the connection from the maximum to whatever the line is capable of. That's the whole idea of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So effectively Eircom could offer an 8 mbps ADSL/RDSL service in the locality of one of their exchanges if they wanted and had sufficient bandwidth to back it up..

What limits Eircom offering such services besides distance and the quality of the line. I assume the Dslams can handle whatever bandwidth Eircom want to offer?

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    What limits Eircom offering such services besides distance and the quality of the line. I assume the Dslams can handle whatever bandwidth Eircom want to offer?
    They are €ircon and they enjoy being monopolistic b4stards - that's usually enough reason for them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

they cant handle all the speed, i was talking to one of the server admins in eircom (friend of mine) he was telling me that their head office only has a 10mbit line for their entire internal network and its being shared among 150+pcs so if eircon cant have decent speeds i doubt well get 1mbit radsl, and yes i agree with u all 512 is beginning 2 feel like 56k again:mad:

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    So effectively Eircom could offer an 8 mbps ADSL/RDSL service in the locality of one of their exchanges if they wanted and had sufficient bandwidth to back it up..

Sufficent backhaul from the exchanges (possibly a problem with some) and the regional pops (probably not a problem, but who knows) is all that technically limits eircom from upping the bandwidth.
    Originally posted by dogz
    general rubbish

You don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

eh sorry i do, what i mean is if eircom can only connect to the internet at 10mbits from their offices what hope do the rest of us have i mean i assume it costs them little or nothing for their own lines so why inly have 10mbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

8mb down and 1 mbit up sounds more like bonded dsl to me. It seems to be the new "big thing" in the UK. Essentaily you subscribe to 2, 4, 6 ... regular adsl channels and using gizmos at both ends it looks as if you have one big pipe. (Sounds alot like "trunking" between switches used in computer rooms.) Apparently cost effective for folks replacing leased lines. (Roughly 3k a year vs 12k for the leased line) There are some posts about it on the uk site dslreports.com.

Now that adsl if finally becoming available on a widespread basis in Ireland I expect to see a bunch of new offers turning up in the Sept/Nov timeframe. I would reckon modest speed improvements, more services without caps and some slightly reduced prices for basic packages are all on the cards.

Simon

Loughrea ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Originally posted by dogz
    eh sorry i do, what i mean is if eircom can only connect to the internet at 10mbits from their offices what hope do the rest of us have i mean i assume it costs them little or nothing for their own lines so why inly have 10mbits

The allocated bandwidth for a company's office has no bearing on the quality of service that they provide. Has it come to your attention that they only may require a 10meg line or that they are cutting costs in certain areas?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

no actually i do he was telling me they were upgrading their servers to 2k3, these servers have some of the bb the users a/cs and they spent a day getting the updates from ms and downloading the a/c info from another server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No kiddo. I'm afraid you don't. What relevance has upgrading their servers to windows 2003 server to do with allocating bandwidth to their customers? You also went out of the way to point out that they had a 10meg line which would be in no way related to the residential broadband product.

With all that aside, it's not even relevant. It does not matter. A 10meg line for private use has absolutely nothing in common with a product that they provide.

"eh sorry i do, what i mean is if eircom can only connect to the internet at 10mbits from their offices what hope do the rest of us have i mean i assume it costs them little or nothing for their own lines so why inly have 10mbits"

^ Not important. Doesn't make sense. You are incorrect.

Advertisement