Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Theme/Amusement/? Parks

• 19-07-2004 3:12am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

I've been wanting to go to a decent amusement park in Europe, thing is I haven't a notion of any decent ones.

So I put a question to the general after hours populous. Can you name for me a few parks, preferably with really intense rides, not a family day out type one like eurodisney.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's a couple in the UK: Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. Never been to either, but they're the names that stand out. Oh, and Legoland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I've been to Alton Towers twice (excellent) and Disney Land Paris (shíte).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Amsterdam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi
    Thorpe Park is a cheaper Alton Towers, ok but Alton Towers is the one to go for, you would not need more than a day though if you got there early,
    :ninja:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Been to Alton Towers, and while it offers some decent rides, is there anything in Europe of a larger scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Porte Aventura (sp?) in Spain somewhere is supposed to be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

why not try Universal Studios in the Med??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

6 flags in Belgium is definitely impressive (not that far from Brussels). EuroDisney is quite tame n' lame, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Alton Towers is a great park. There is also a place called Europark which is supposed to have lots of roller coasters with plenty more other major rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Port Avendtura, knows as Universal these days, is the place to go in Spain anyway, and you can fly there directly. I think it's got the biggest coaster in Europe, not sure though. Alton Towers is also excellent, and Eurodisney isn't bad, but is very much aimed at a younger (<14yrs) audience. There's supposed to be an excellent one outside Helsinki too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

port aventura is class, was there a few years ago, Dragon Kahn is the rollercoaster, think it has most vertical loops of any coaster in the world. Definitely was at the time with 8. Good theme park all round. Takes a full day to get round aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    There's supposed to be an excellent one outside Helsinki too....

There's Linnanmäki in Helsinki, which is fun, but probably not worth a trip all the way to Helsinki for (unless you're in the general area...). There's also Särkänniemi (linky ) in Tampere (where Ryanair fly into).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Alton Towers is a great park. There is also a place called Europark which is supposed to have lots of roller coasters with plenty more other major rides.

I've been in Europapark a couple of time I much prefer it than Euro Disney. The last coaster "Silver Star" is fantastic (130 km/h... 4G!). And the last areas build are very nice (Spain, Greece).

The only problem is to get there from Ireland.

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is a Warner Bros. Park just outside of Madrid... and flights to Madrid are very cheap at the moment.

I was there last month. They really don't cater much for an international audience, everything is in Spanish.

But there are some great rollercoasters themed around popular Warner franchises.

The Superman roller coaster is particularly good.

I don't think it has proved very successful though, as it was really empty when I was there, didn't have to queue for anything, which was great.

The food in the park though.

This is the big wooden rollercoaster from the Wild West Section
    rollercoaster.jpg

There is another theme park in Madrid too. It's alot cheaper to get into as well, but I haven't been there in years... and I can't remember too much about it.

Avoid Isla Majica in Seville like the plague. My girlfriend lives just across the river from it, and it looks pretty lame...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

6 Flags in Belgium looks quite najs. Keep them coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

the fantasia theme parks in germany are cool.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Draupnir
    port aventura is class, was there a few years ago, Dragon Kahn is the rollercoaster, think it has most vertical loops of any coaster in the world. Definitely was at the time with 8. Good theme park all round. Takes a full day to get round aswell.

yep its brill was there 2 years and am heading back in august yay!!!

website click here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Tazzle
    6 Flags in Belgium looks quite najs. Keep them coming :)

Yep, been there and to Six Flags Holand a few times.
    sixflags europe

WB in Germany near Dusseldorf is not that great, too much theme and less rides.

Alton towers rules the roost in the Uk though, wherever you go, make sure its on a weekday to beat the queues while the kids are at school !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

St. Annes park in dublin and a few cans of dutchie... amusement park

Shmmad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

In holland the Efteling is pretty good- wel at least when i was there last;) outside Eindhoven.

Also Duinerell is a waterpark place- its okay

In belguim- The Six flags jumps out to mind aswell
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

In germany the main ones are:

- Warner Brothers in Bottrop (close to Dusseldorf)
    - Europapark in Rust (southwest of Germany)
    - Fantasialand Bruehl (close to cologne)
    - Heidepark Soltau (North, relatively close to Hamburg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    the fantasia theme parks in germany are cool.
    Is there more than one? I was in the one near Bonn / Cologne. Certainly worth a day trip.

http://www.phantasialand.de/cgi-bin/xshcgi305?SFMCF=phantasia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Phantasialand

is really cool. Been there twice.

Advertisement