Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first dive

Options
  • 19-07-2004 7:33am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    First time reader and first time poster on scuba.
    Just back from doing my intro dive. Got to do it on the reef here in oz and my god it was one of the coolest experiences in my life. Absoluty not what i expected and after the initial wareness with the mouth piece and coral everywhere I did not want to surface. I intend on doing a padi course when i get to cairns and dive the outer reef if possible.
    Tis nice to see if I persue this as my new hobbie there is an active comunity for it.
    Any advice for someone like me, who is on such a buzz and wants to dive again and again and again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I learnt with Prodive who operate out of Cairns (among other places) Did the 2 day pool, 3 day liveaboard PADI openwater course. Absolutely fantastic. Top notch people and gear. Very insistant on safety - which is what you want.

They have a website, but if you want any more info, just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I did mine with Fitzroy Island Dive. I ended up working with them as a Divemaster. Sound people - but the reef isn't the greatest out there tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Am thinking of doing in on fitzroy island as i'm stuck for time and its only 3 days.
    Hope to dive in fiji and in NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by TomTom
    Am thinking of doing in on fitzroy island as i'm stuck for time and its only 3 days.
    Hope to dive in fiji and in NZ

Well Fitzroy island is great ould craic. You stay out on the Island and the DI's are (were) well sound. It's a good place to go - they're well up on safty.
    I didn't dive in NZ, but diving in Fiji was class. Theres a couple of wrecks you can dive which were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've heard good reports on diving in Fiji, I also believe the standard on the open and advanced open water courses are quite high compared to say, Thailand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Very first dive was in Bere Island, Cork. Big 'Wow' factor.

And prodive cairns were brilliant. Thoroughly recommend them.

Got back and started cold-water diving in Stoney Cove (an english quarry) and in Scotland. Drysuit diving (especially with borrowed gear) in cold water with not a lot to see except wrecks is a whole different ball game and to be honest has put me off diving in this part of the world.

But don't let me put you off, there are lots of good clubs in Ireland. Go for a CFT club rather than PADI, they will train you thoroughly and have a good dive/social scene for trips etc.

Not the CFT/CMAS v's PADI argument ffs.

And we were all getting along so well :dunno:

Well, didnt want to start an argument, just my personal suggestion. There are advantages to both ways. Best thing is , if you want to keep diving when you get back, which you probably will, talk to as many people as you can who do it, this board would prob be a good place to start.

Silverside is right - we do have several dive trips a year on this board. Don't let the talk about twin-tanks and trimix put you off. Some of us are mere mortals diving on rented gear.

So you'll get to dive and strut naked in front of women you've never met before which is, lets face it, the only reason to go diving at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    So you'll get to dive and strut naked in front of women you've never met before which is, lets face it, the only reason to go diving at all.

And some of the divers do this infront of the men also....

Some people are just too proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by silverside

And prodive cairns were brilliant. Thoroughly recommend them.
    Out of curiosity who were your instructors?

Can't remember. Apart from the very cute little australian one. And 'Dave' I think.

Advertisement