Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-net MAN pricing coming next month

Options
  • 19-07-2004 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

They claim they will be "disruptive" in the following article on Silicon Republic:
    E-Net Promises ‘disruptive pricing’

15.07.2004 - E-Net, the managed service entity appointed to run the country’s metropolitan area networks (MANs), has pledged to drive down prices and stimulate greater demand for broadband in Ireland.

Chief operating officer George McGrath (pictured) told siliconrepublic.com: “When we announce prices next month I am positive our pricing structure will be disruptive in the current market. It will drive down prices and stimulate demand and competition as well as opening up opportunities for smaller or regional operators.”

E-Net won the Government contract to manage the State’s €70m investment in MANs. Its role is to maintain and provide access to the infrastructure for any service provider licensed by ComReg. “We are a wholesaler, in effect, dealing only with authorised operators. We are also taking the commercial risk – the state continues to own the networks and is entitled to share our revenues as a return on its substantial investment,” say McGrath.

He points out also that E-Net is committed to ‘lighting the fibre’ in every MAN regardless of the potential customer base or demand. Although the company has no doubts about the success of the project, he concedes that there is no way to predict the speed or level of take-up.

E-Net will offer authorised operators a full range of technical opportunities across each of the MANs, from simple duct and sub-duct space (customers would then lay their own optical fibre) to the use of the fibre already laid. It is anticipated that large customers will opt for ‘dark fibre’ – a totally new service in the Irish market – where the operator leases unused fibre circuits and then carries out the rest of the technical work itself.

But the simplest and probably commonest level of business will be in leasing the use of MAN circuits on a managed basis from E-Net, just as all telecoms companies routinely exchange the use of their circuits. E-Net will be responsible for 24/365 availability of the network infrastructure but will have no involvement in the services provided to the end-customers over the fibre.

By Leslie Faughnan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've been asked not to comment on e-Net's, uh, parenthood; so I won't, but I'd like to know what I've been asked not to comment on. "E-Net" doesn't pop up anything on a CRO search, does anyone know what the company is actually called?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Eircom-Net perhaps???;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Eircom-Net perhaps?

Absolutely :D . Expect to see Eircom sales droids chasing down the potential customers of the MAN connections once Comreg fully deregulates the STM1 market next month.....despite their never having asked Eircom for a quote in the first place. I understand that there a few honeypot projects are in the pipeline to deal with this expected leakage of sensitive information.

The domain is Enet.Ie , the first thing to go was the hyphen .

M

Interesting, that pops up four.

ENET (RBN in Dame Street)
    ENET CONSULTING LIMITED (Company in Castletroy)
    ENET-MEDIA LIMITED (Company represented by accountants office in Ballsbridge)
    ENETWORKING SOLUTIONS LIMITED (Company in Mullingar)

Presumably if accounts have been filed for these companies, I could find out who owns them by getting copies from the CRO? What about the RBN?

Anyone ever done this before?

adam

Ok, I'm told the company is e-Nasc Eireann Teo. Now, where do I go from here?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ok, I'm told the company is e-Nasc Eireann Teo. Now, where do I go from here?

adam

A free trial from the CRO may be just what you need. See this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Think I've mentioned/linked/pasted those sbpost articles before, but can't find the posts. Here they are again.
    P.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/07/04/story720649868.asp
    Sunday, July 04, 2004_:

"Eircom gets around broadband ban

By Eamon Quinn
    Eircom will profit from a major contract to run the country's new €70 million broadband network, even though it was banned from bidding to run the network.TE Services, which is 35 per cent owned by Eircom and controlled by an offshore shell company in Jersey, is the main contractor to E-net, which was awarded the management contract last week.

The Sunday Business Post has established that TE Services has an exceptional shareholder agreement by which Eircom is entitled to receive a percentage of its revenues.

The agreement gives Eircom greater control over TE Services than its stake would suggest.

TE Services was formed in 1999 by ex-Eircom employees and has depended on Eircom for up to 90 per cent of its revenues by maintaining lines, repairing line faults and connecting customers to Eircom's network.

E-net, based in Limerick, won the contract to manage fibre-optic metropolitan area networks, on which the government has spent €70 million.

As main contractor to E-net, TE Services will receive up to €2 million a year.

The previously-undisclosed special shareholder agreement between Eircom and TE Services is operated through TE Services Ireland. TE Services Ireland is, in turn, 65 per cent-owned by TE Investments, a Jersey company owned by TE Services founder Pat Gardiner and other investors.

Eircom owns the stake by controlling convertible cumulative participating preferred ordinary shares in TE Services Ireland. The shares give Eircom a right to a percentage of revenues earned by TE Services from work it carries out on Eircom's access network.

TE Services has been in talks about selling a 60 per cent stake to AWG Group, a British stock market company.

The deal would value TE Services at more than €10 million.

If the sale were completed, Eircom would retain a 30 per cent stake in TE Services, while employees would own 10 per cent through an employee share ownership trust."

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/05/30/story374806558.asp
    Sunday, May 30, 2004_:

_"TE Services hopeful of spin-off deals

By Eamon Quinn
    Telecom Engineering Services (TE Services), an associate company of Eircom, hopes to win valuable spin-off contracts through a consortium which has won the multimillion contract to operate the state's fibre optic telecoms network.Enet, a consortium led by Tiernan Properties in Limerick, is set to be awarded the contract later this week. It is the biggest state telecoms contract to be awarded for several years and is likely to provide valuable business to many telecom contractors.

The fibre optic network, built with government funding of €65 million, is designed to link 19 major towns.

Helen Meehan, finance director at TE Services, said the company was hopeful of providing services to Enet if the consortium wins the contract.

TE Services, which is 35 per cent owned by Eircom, was set up by Pat Gardiner. It is owned by a holding company, which in turn is part-owned by a company registered in Jersey.

A spokesman for Tiernan Properties was unavailable to comment on the contract." _

Advertisement