Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Muppet on a Moped

Options
  • 19-07-2004 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

So driving in to work this morning - next thing a moped appears in my rearview. Now this worries me as the road is narrow and twisty with a continous white line, and I'm very good at watching behind me. So where did this guy come from?

Seconds later the queue of traffic slows for a roundabout, and Moped Boy goes around me through the painted island.

He overtakes the guy in front of me on the roundabout - still single lane. He continues on just using one hand on the handlebars, then overtakes a truck again on a single continuous white, doing about 35-40 legally.

I loose him from view for a while, but my my last sight of this guy is him going on the path the wrong way up a one way street.

I did get his reg. Did the cops introduce that 'shop a dodgy driver' number nationwide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

it would never work, imagine the amount of phony ones to get people into trouble :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by theciscokid
    it would never work, imagine the amount of phony ones to get people into trouble :dunno:
    There have been plenty of cautions apparently.

In order to secure a conviction, the person who made the complaint would have to give a detailed statement. I'd say there are probably a few feuding neighbours abusing the system, but the non-anonimity would deter the casual prankster.
    http://www.garda.ie/angarda/safedrive.html
    If you witness dangerous driving, suspected drunken driving etc., call the Gardaí on 999 or 112, or on Traffic Watch Lo-call 1890 205805. Try to get the make, colour and registration number of the vehicle and the direction in which it is heading. Don't leave it to others to call us - your call could save a life.
    Although we're a dishonest bunch, we seem perfectly happy to shop in our fellow citizens, given the relative success of this and the insurance hotline. Balances out I guess.

This morning I watched a big bike, passenger and all, completely break a set of lights (overtaking traffic and me, so he didn't just miss them), and head off down the canal - where the LUAS cross over the canal. The amount of moped and motorcycle riders I see break these lights is staggering - and it's not even a quiet junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

My daily commute is between Tallaght and Pearse Street. I ride a CB500. Approaching the M50 roundabout in the middle lane, there is a car in front of me. We go through the lights and onto the rounabout. A red BMW decides she wants to move from the outside lane to the centre while negotiating the roundabout. Only problem is there is a car occupying the space she's moving into. She goes regardless without indication, car swerves out of her way horn blaring, she gets startled and swerves back to her original lane. Undaunted however she immediately trys the same manoeuvre again without indicating. This time I am occupying the space. I swerve and honk at the same time, she comes within 6 inches of my left knee, but good news, she's completed the lane change, after two attempts, on a busy rounabout, without indicating and only nearly killing 2 people. All the while the first car is leaning on his horn. I peer in her window, oul wan, about 50/60 completely oblivious to everything, just a vacant stare. For about 10 seconds I wanted to actually kill her as a premptive service to road safety.

My question, if I provided indisputable evidence of this event to the Gardai can I be sure of them acting on it ?

I am quite seriously considering fitting some kind of video recording device with fish eye lens if I can cobble something together for a reasonable price. The intention being to provide video evidence of all the idiots I meet regularly on the road. Does anyone think this would be viable and would the Guards act on this kind of evidence ?

I'm not sure if there are privacy issues involved with filming people without permission. It could make the tape inadmissable. Whatever the outcome, a few days worth of recording would make a great "Day in the life" programme to show Irish drivers how **** they really are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i've often taught of recording while driving, but need some cheap way of doing it. It would come in handy if involved in any incident, exactly what i needed last month when some drunk edgit walked into the side of my car and i ran over his foot :dunno: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Originally posted by seamus
    I'm not sure if there are privacy issues involved with filming people without permission. It could make the tape inadmissable. Whatever the outcome, a few days worth of recording would make a great "Day in the life" programme to show Irish drivers how **** they really are :)

There's a law against it?!?! I'm still not pressing the STOP button on my set-up.
    I've a "Bullet Cam ", running off the cig lighter socket, connected to an Canon MV4i Digicam.
    Had to disconnect the MIC, didn't realise I swore that much at other drivers.
    Trouble is, when you play back a close call, it doesn't look anyway near as bad as it was.

Sod's law also states that the day you don't press REC/run out of tape is the day everyone tries to crash into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Some taxi driver told me a lot of guys he knew had a system like that up and running, pointing into the car though. They hit a button and it catches Johnny Scumbag attempting to syringe them or so the theory goes. As one of the above posters brought up, whether it would be admissable in court or not is a matter for an expensively acquired learned friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I would have thought if you are in a public place you have no say regarding people videoing you.

Originally posted by Chief---
    I would have thought if you are in a public place you have no say regarding people videoing you.
    That's why I'm not sure. Perhaps it's illegal to publish film containing someone against their wish. Maybe not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if that was the case then RTE wouldn't be able to get clips of crooked politicians and all the other vermin leaving our courts and the paparazi wouldn't get any pics for the tabloid rags

• Advertisement
Advertisement