Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl digital radio

• 19-07-2004 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on the lidl website, does anyone know if this is a proper digital radio (for a funny money price) or a radio with a digital display on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

just a digital display - very good value though with sw band

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An alarm clock radio that will pick up BBC Radio 4,
    how civilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

It says World Radio, does that mean can it receive radio stations from Asia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Yup, you should be able to get Asian stations on the SW bands, takes a bit of effort to tune in, and you would need to have aerial up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SKWei

I just bought one of those radios, and really, they are no use for shortwave! They get absolutely nothing, when compared to a Degen 1102 which is good but not expensive. The FM is grand, the MW is OK, the longwave is full of digital hash, and the shortwave will get you nothing in Ireland!
    It tunes SW in 1 KHz steps, but not one from 5.9 to 15.X MHz. Don't bother with it as a shortwave radio!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by SKWei
    digital hash

Is it any good?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SKWei wrote:
    I just bought one of those radios, and really, they are no use for shortwave! They get absolutely nothing, when compared to a Degen 1102 which is good but not expensive. The FM is grand, the MW is OK, the longwave is full of digital hash, and the shortwave will get you nothing in Ireland!
    It tunes SW in 1 KHz steps, but not one from 5.9 to 15.X MHz. Don't bother with it as a shortwave radio!
    Well it is a lot less than half the price of a Degen 1102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SKWei

Very good point! My views are coloured, as I bought my Degen in China, for about €30, but of course that doesn't really apply here: my bad! But the radio sold in Lidl really does have terrible shortwave!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

On the topic of digital radios, is it possible to recieve uk digital radio channels (DAB) over here?. If so, what radio would you reccommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

illumin wrote:
    On the topic of digital radios, is it possible to recieve uk digital radio channels (DAB) over here?. If so, what radio would you reccommend?

Unlikely. Maybe very close to the border. Even in the cities in Northern Ireland you can't receive the full compliment of Digital radio stations :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SKWei wrote:
    I just bought one of those radios, and really, they are no use for shortwave! They get absolutely nothing, when compared to a Degen 1102 which is good but not expensive. The FM is grand, the MW is OK, the longwave is full of *digital hash*, and the shortwave will get you nothing in Ireland!
    Superman wrote:
    Is *it* any good?

If one bit is good, are 64 bits better?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

illumin wrote:

It cant be recieved here, the footprint is pretty exact so unlesyou are within sight of the border its n/a. You could just get sky, same thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

thanks for yor replies guys. Ill have to look into sky digi :)

illumin wrote:
    thanks for yor replies guys. Ill have to look into sky digi :)
    Don't forget that MOST radio stations are Free to air - you don't need a SKY digibox to recieve them.

Advertisement