Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Advertisers

Options
  • 19-07-2004 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im new to the whole Advertisements part of web building. I have a new Tourism website that will hopefully become successful enough to warrant some adverts but how do i go about contacting them or is there some site that has a list of Advertisers looking for Sites ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

ah come on someone must have some idea. How does a website normally go about getting advertisers or do advertisers approach the site owners ??

com on thro me a frickin bone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

While you are waiting to build up traffic I would suggest you use Google Adsense.

Once you have built up traffic you will find it easier to attract advertisers, although some sites manage to get a lot of advertisers simply by cold calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I agree with blacknight, other places to look are www.cj.com, www.amazon.co.uk - look to sign up for their affiliate programs.

After you have this content it will be easier to sell your offerings! But you will still have to SELL rather than wait for someone (in most cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Yes Google Adsense is a good way to start. The ads they display are automatically targeted to fit in with the content of your site. Plus they have lots of formats from a single small text add to full size leaderboards and skyscrapers. Recently they've added the facility to include image ads.

You may find that you actually get offers from people looking to purchase advertising on your site once you get busier.

Some of the larger webmaster community websites include forums for sale and request of website advertising space.

Fergal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by blacknight
    While you are waiting to build up traffic I would suggest you use Google Adsense.
    I assume you mean google adWords.
    Incidentally anyone here using this? What kind of spend are you investing? What kind of return?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kbannon
    I assume you mean google adWords.

adwords is for advertisers
    adsense is for publishers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

oops - thats what happens when you read different threads at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I take in a good incomce each month my CJ account, they offer an excellent selection of companys with different rates to advertise.

As the guys said www.cj.com is worth a look.

Cj.com may be worth a look, but they also have a very "charming" habit of cancelling accounts and withholding payment, so I would be very cautious about recommending them to anyone.

Google, however, pay promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Thanks guys ill check those out, i added in google adwords a few days ago and its looking good so far.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

I done some charity web design for someone and its all up and running now, but he is having an awful time finding advertisers, at the moment the traffic isnt to big but it has great potential and EVERYTHING made goes to charity. Does anyone have any ideas i can tell him about getting an advertiser, the red cross is saying they want to but when it comes down to it there not.

It depends what the site's target market is ie. which kind of audience it attracts

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I done some charity web design for someone and its all up and running now, but he is having an awful time finding advertisers, at the moment the traffic isnt to big but it has great potential and EVERYTHING made goes to charity. Does anyone have any ideas i can tell him about getting an advertiser, the red cross is saying they want to but when it comes down to it there not.

As suggested above, he could try Google Adsense. You sign up, select the ad format you want and they display appropriate text / image ads on your site. No set-up fees to you and if they are not earning revenue you can simply remove them if you have a better use for the space.

http://www.fastclick.com/ is also worth a look but your site must meet minimum traffic requirements before they will accept your application.

Advertisement