Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McAteer to Tranmere.

• 19-07-2004 11:09am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Tranmere Rovers have pulled off a notable coup by signing Republic of Ireland international Jason McAteer on a free transfer.
    McAteer has been looking for a new club after leaving Sunderland at the end of last season and he has penned a two-year deal at Prenton Park.
    A move to Leicester City fell through while Sheffield United admitted McAteer's wage demands were out of their reach.

But the 33-year-old has struck a deal with Rovers to become the club's fifth signing of the summer.

The midfielder is now hoping to use his experience to help Brian Little's side to push for promotion from League One.

"After speaking with Brian and (chairman) Lorraine (Rogers) it was an easy decision to make," McAteer told the club's official website.

"I watched Tranmere's results last season. Brian did a tremendous job when he came in and they were unlucky not to make the play-offs.

"This season they're one of the favourites and hopefully with my experience we can get something going and get promotion."

Rovers boss Little is expecting the former Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers man to be an influential figure during the new season.

Little commented: "I'm delighted to sign a player of the quality of Jason.

"I think he will be an inspiration to everyone around the dressing room and it's a bonus to get a player of his quality inside the club."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I wouldn't describe signing a player who was poor to start with, having been released by his club, who's spent most of the last two years out injured, a 'notable coup'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm surprised a club as big as Tranmere would even look at him.

Maybe he didnt sign playing forms, they might just b sueing him to practice tackling, would fit in with the "help the club achieve promotion" line better than if he was playing, surely that can only lead to further mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Stekelly
    I'm surprised a club as big as Tranmere would even look at him.
    Leicester are twice as big and they were really close to signing him. He was one of Sunderland's best players last season even though he was hit with a load of injuries. I can see him taking Div2 by storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I am just ahppy to see him signed by someone, I don't think it matters at this stage where he goes, once he gets his game.

/K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

McAteer is a Liverpool lad, that probably swong the deal for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I can see him taking Div2 by storm.

In fairness anyone who is premiership standard, I dont believe he is but im sure he does, should do extremely well in DIV2 without much effort.

Advertisement