Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling IE6

Options
  • 19-07-2004 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Must be doing something wrong but, I just cannot seem to uninstall IE6. OS = W2000. I go into Control Panel => Add/Remove Programs => Add/Remove Windows Components => Click on Internet Explorer6. Uninstall seems to run, however app is still there???

Any ideas? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

you cant, you cant downgrade, you would need to reinstall windows, better to just install mozilla firefox and dont use IE 6 anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I cannot uninstall it? BTW I already have Mozilla, I am still getting pop-ups from IE6 as it is still installed on my PC. Can I just delete the IE6 Folder/Files?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

make mozilla your default viewer, however if you have messenger it will always open hotmail in IE there is nothing you can do about that short of editing the registry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Hobart
    I cannot uninstall it? BTW I already have Mozilla, I am still getting pop-ups from IE6 as it is still installed on my PC. Can I just delete the IE6 Folder/Files?
    Strictly speaking, it's been found (by professors no less) that it should be possible to uninstall IE from Windows, but in reality it's not, for the simple reason that Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are inextricably linked. Just leave it "uninstalled" and make another browser your default, that's the best you can do.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It is possible to do a clean install of NT4 and Windows98 WITHOUT IE.

http://www.litepc.com/download.html
    IEradicator is a tiny (~25k), free utility to strip IE4 and IE5 from unmodified Windows98 or Windows98SE installations without requiring any additional files.

And yes microsoft actually did loose the integration case not that it has made any difference and unless they loose market share then there is a good chance that IE 7 will only be available if you upgrade windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement