Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem wont hang up

Options
  • 19-07-2004 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody had any idea what was going on here or is it just a dodgy modem?

Came across a modem which wont hang up after a call to the net...ok no problem i hear you say, just put in a hang up string into the modem settings....no joy! The only current way of hanging up is to unplug the cable for the back and plug it in again!!??

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jo.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

windows or linux?

what command string are you using '+++'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Hi theciscokid,

Thanks for your interest in my post.

This is being done on a Windows machine and i have followed these instructions to the 't' (below) and have had no joy! any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo.

Modem does not hang up
    If your modem does not hang up at the end of a call:

Verify that you are using a serial port with modem control that is configured in the /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file and that the ``ACU'' entry for the modem port comes before the ``Direct'' entry for the direct line. If you are using a non-modem control port, change the port to the corresponding modem control port. For example, the modem control port associated with tty1a is tty1A.

NOTE: Non-modem control ports should only be used with terminals, and when configuring the modem.

If the CD (Carrier Detect) light on the modem does not go off when the call is disconnected, check the modem switches to verify that the modem is set to detect the incoming carrier. If your modem is Hayes-compatible, use the AT&C1 command. This forces the carrier detect line to follow the presence of a carrier on the phone line.
    Check the modem switches to verify that the modem is set to detect DTR (Data Terminal Ready). The modem should hang up when DTR goes from high to low. If the modem is Hayes-compatible, use the AT&D2 command.
    Some modems have a switch that can be set to ignore DTR; make sure that this switch is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

http://members.tripod.com/michaelgellis/modem.html may be of assistance

a summary and explanation of the AT command set for Hayes compatible dial-up modems

you seem to have posted a linux tutorial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Thats great, cheers theciscokid...ill give it a shot and let you know! :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

A friend of mine has the same problem too, but i'd its rather a software problem. For some reason i can't get the connection icon to appear in the task bar. How do u do it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement