Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless RS232 Cable

• 19-07-2004 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this strictly belongs here. I have a processor unit that interfaces with a laptop via a 9 pin RS232 cable. The laptop runs some software that allows settings to be changed on the processor unit. Once settings have been confirmed asnd saved the laptop can be disconnected. Is there a wireless gizmo that could be used to replace the Rs232 cable. The processor can be located in awkward places and a wireless link would be very handy.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lucent used to do some EC's with serial ports but they wern't cheap and I don't know if you can still get them
    Lucent Wavelan Ethernet Converter

If they exist then they would be used by cash registers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Aye, get one of those adaptors, chuck a network card into it, and connect it to a jetdirect box.

With a bit of monkeying about, it would work. Would need two power supplies though, and it would look bloody ugly, but it's definately do-able.

I've used those Jet direct boxes for stuff like this before, such as sticking a printer somewhere where there is no network cabling, or connecting a Nortel meridian exchange to the network. They can be made to just pass stuff straight on from ethernet to RS232 and vice versa.

The concept became redundant when they could put webservers on chips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Jaden
    The concept became redundant when they could put webservers on chips.
    11-:iPicPic.jpg
    Web server is black blob beside the matchbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I get samples of those from time to time.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by BrianD
    Not sure if this strictly belongs here. I have a processor unit that interfaces with a laptop via a 9 pin RS232 cable. The laptop runs some software that allows settings to be changed on the processor unit. Once settings have been confirmed asnd saved the laptop can be disconnected. Is there a wireless gizmo that could be used to replace the Rs232 cable. The processor can be located in awkward places and a wireless link would be very handy.

I think you can buy a Serial to Bluetooth adapter that might do the job for you.. Try Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Rew
    I think you can buy a Serial to Bluetooth adapter that might do the job for you.. Try Google.

Or you could try this

You plug your RS-232 cable into this gadget, it converts the signal into a Bluetooth signal which can be picked up with your laptop equipped with it's own Bluetooth dongle.

Advertisement