Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger planning transfer raid

• 19-07-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Wenger planning transfer raid
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is plotting further raids on the transfer market which could result in two new arrivals at Highbury.......

http://www.football365.com/news/story_119368.shtml

Wenger targets new recruits
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger expects to sign at least one more new player before the start of the season.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3906699.stm

Maybe Smemon knew this was being announced... Bit of a shark that fella...

As most predicted, Wenger has a number of targets that he hopes to announce over the summer period..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He will need someone to replace Viera:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by kida

That's the first thing I thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It certainly interesting timing... Who is to say that he won't find an adequate replacement for Viera though?? He better stay away from Stevie G though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by kida

Obviously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Apparently Juve are in for Sol Campbell? Offering Thuram, Igor Tudor and money? I was shocked to read Campbells contract is up next season?!?

If the gooners lose Campbell and Viera, Arsene's gonna have to really get the cat out of the bag....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL last season it was Henry and Vieira. This season its Vieria and Campbell. Until I see either of them in a Real Madrid or whoever shirt I won't believe a word I read.

Unless Real come in with a really silly figure for Patrick I don't see him moving. Last season we sent Chelsea packing with their 50 Million offer for Thierry, Wenger has already said that 30 Million would be rejected. We would give them Ray Parlour for 15 million thou :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by gandalf

Unless Real come in with a really silly figure for Patrick I don't see him moving. Last season we sent Chelsea packing with their 50 Million offer for Thierry, Wenger has already said that 30 Million would be rejected. We would give them Ray Parlour for 15 million thou :D

His ex wifes signing on fee might be a bit too much for Madrid.

kdjac

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Apparently Juve are in for Sol Campbell? Offering Thuram, Igor Tudor and money? I was shocked to read Campbells contract is up next season?!?

Seemingly Campbell's current wage is over 100,000 sterling a week. Arsenal have already told him that that was a once in a life time deal and that his next deal will be no higher that Henry's or Viera's which is 50,000 a week.. So its concievable he could leave, unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Bear in mind that this story is being pushed hardest by The Mirror. That's the same Mirror that said Rivaldo had definitely done a u-turn and signed for Bolton... 2 hours before Bolton announced that they definitely were not going to sign Rivaldo. The same Mirror that was singled out by Football365 last week for every one of their major stories turning out to be wrong.

To be honest, I'm nearly relieved that the Mirror are saying these things - it means it almost certainly must be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder will Sol say:

"I've plenty of money, 50k a week will do me grand"

or

"I'll just sit out my contract and a club will come in for me next year with 50k a week, plus they'll give me the transfer fee they've saved, which should amount to at least another 50k a week over the term of my new contract. Its worked once....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

interesting, a 'raid' on the market means 1 or 2 players! chelsea must be at war.

it doesnt matter who they sign, if they cant keep vieira they'll fall apart. if i were wenger i'd focus on keeping my captain and best player, not adding to my title winning side.

They only need one more player and they will be unstopable next season..

1 less player like vieira and they'll fall to pieces. ive criticised arsenal for not buying anyone but they musn't sell their best asset/s.

im sure arsenal fans would rather keep vieira than buy anyone else. at the minute he's probably the most valuable player in the world. a dying breed and impossible to replace.

No one is impossible to replace, immediately yes but certainly not in the long term... There are players Wenger has publicly stated he considers good enough to replace Viera and that was Steven Gerard... I personally feel that Arsenal would have a better chance at taking him away from Liverpool that Chelsea. In Chelsea he would be another superstar, in Arsenal he would be treated properly...

i cant believe you compare vieira and gerrard. gerrard is no patrick vieira and never will be, he's a false leader and doesnt have the overall flair and natural ability of vieira.

gerrard doesnt know if he's a defender or attacker and is an elastic band stretched to the limit, you want someone that sits, tackles, wins the ball and plays it simple, not diagonal 30 yard balls trying to split defences on the chance 1 in 20 might pay off.

yeah every player will be replaced obviously, but no modern day defensive midfielder is on the same planet as vieira. keane is still a competitor but doesnt have the legs of vieira at this stage to lead utd out every single game.

gerrard is a bluffer, a vieira/keane wannabe who tries to do too much when a simple ball would do.

ekkk I agree with smemon !!!! Someone take me out and shoot me !!!

Originally posted by smemon
    i cant believe you compare vieira and gerrard. gerrard is no patrick vieira and never will be, he's a false leader and doesnt have the overall flair and natural ability of vieira.

gerrard doesnt know if he's a defender or attacker and is an elastic band stretched to the limit, you want someone that sits, tackles, wins the ball and plays it simple, not diagonal 30 yard balls trying to split defences on the chance 1 in 20 might pay off.

yeah every player will be replaced obviously, but no modern day defensive midfielder is on the same planet as vieira. keane is still a competitor but doesnt have the legs of vieira at this stage to lead utd out every single game.

gerrard is a bluffer, a vieira/keane wannabe who tries to do too much when a simple ball would do.

A bluffer is altogether too harsh in all fairness... Wenger publicly singled him out as being good enough. Alex Fergususon publicly stated that Gerard's developement is ahead of Keane's when Keane was the same age... Gerard is still only 23 years of age, Viera is 28 or 29 with Keane being older again... He will develop into a player of at least near Viera's quality and is an excellent long term bet, in fact the only player I can think of that you could even consider as a possible replacement from the Premiership...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    in fact the only player I can think of that you could even consider as a possible replacement from the Premiership...
    Scott Parker is only 23 and he was in the top 1-3 premiership tacklers last season. Unfortunately he has a lot of competition at Chelsea but I think he could develop into a quality player with first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

That is total garbage. At 23 Gerrard has accomplished just as much as either Keane or Vieira had at that stage. He will still develop so much more also and cut out negative things from his game. One thing which he has cut out already is his wild streak which neither Keane or Vieira did until about a year or two ago, that shows far more maturity. Same goes for the odd wild pass he does from time to time. He has better vision and is a far better striker of the ball than either of them. He is also better technically in my opinion.

Think how good he would be if he was surrounded by the quality that Vieira or Keane are week in week out?

He has the potential to be better than both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Gerrard was a flop at Euro 2004. I know plenty of other big names failed to deliver, but this was the tournament where Gerrard was touted to make a big impact, especially after missing WC02. He has the potential, but he would want to start delivering sooner rather than later. This means performing consistently at the highest level (Champions League and international tournaments). He is approcahing the age when he should have the ability to dictate a game like Keane and Vieira, and please don't try to say he has that ability at the moment, because he clearly hasn't. Apart from Turkey for England, he had barely come up against a quality team for either England or Liverpool until the summer, and when he did he was found out. He is a young lad, had a tough, injury-ridden season, and his club future was in turmoil, as he was approaching these key games for England, but showed no signs of being capable of overcoming such obstacles, as most true greats will be able to do.

And finally, some statisctics, which we all know can be used to prove whatever you want them to.

ARSENAL

With Vieira

Win ratio: 61 per cent

Points per game: 2.10 (80 points per season)

Without Vieira

Win ratio: 54 per cent

Points per game: 1.90 (72 points per season)

MANCHESTER UNITED

With Keane

Win ratio: 64 per cent

Points per game: 2.16 (82 points per season)

Without Keane

Win ratio: 58 per cent

Points per game: 1.96 (74 points per season)

LIVERPOOL

With Gerrard

Win ratio: 49 per cent

Points per game: 1.75 (67 points per season).

Without Gerrard

Win ratio: 59 per cent

Originally posted by Bateman
    Gerrard was a flop at Euro 2004. I know plenty of other big names failed to deliver, but this was the tournament where Gerrard was touted to make a big impact, especially after missing WC02.

Right lets add him to the list, Zidane, Henry, Pires, Vieria, Makelele, Beckham, Owen, Scholes, Figo, Rui Costa, Raul, Morientes, Valeron, Totti, Vieri, need I go on? The only other thing I will say is that Gerrard was not playing in his best position. Does that tell you something?
    He has the potential, but he would want to start delivering sooner rather than later. This means performing consistently at the highest level (Champions League and international tournaments). He is approcahing the age when he should have the ability to dictate a game like Keane and Vieira, and please don't try to say he has that ability at the moment, because he clearly hasn't.

He doesnt have that ability? Did you watch him play last year? In general he has performed very well for England. To use your stats up until his 23rd(???) cap they hadnt lost a game that he had played. Do you remember Germany in Munich? He has performed for Liverpool in the CL and the UEFA cup, its not his fault the team missed out a few times so he hasnt got the chance to do it year in year out.
    Apart from Turkey for England, he had barely come up against a quality team for either England or Liverpool until the summer, and when he did he was found out.

Please point out to me what quality teams England came up against? The mecurial French, or how about that brilliant Portugese team? And its not as if he was completely awful. By his high standard he mightnt have been amazing. But just because he didnt destroy the opposing team I would hardly say he was "found out".

He is a young lad, had a tough, injury-ridden season, and his club future was in turmoil, as he was approaching these key games for England, but showed no signs of being capable of overcoming such obstacles, as most true greats will be able to do.

And injury ridden season? 34 league starts? Ah yes missing 4 games is definately a season worthy of the "injury ridden" tag. And perhaps the Chelsea thing was on his mind, but he has shown far more maturity than Keane or Vieira for his age by being able to shelve his hot head, something neither of them were able to do until their late 20s in Vieiras case and their 30s in Keanes case.

And finally, some statisctics, which we all know can be used to prove whatever you want them to.
    ARSENAL

With Vieira

Win ratio: 61 per cent

Points per game: 2.10 (80 points per season)

Without Vieira

Win ratio: 54 per cent

Points per game: 1.90 (72 points per season)

MANCHESTER UNITED

With Keane

Win ratio: 64 per cent

Points per game: 2.16 (82 points per season)

Without Keane

Win ratio: 58 per cent

LIVERPOOL

With Gerrard

Win ratio: 49 per cent

Points per game: 1.75 (67 points per season).

Without Gerrard

Win ratio: 59 per cent

For a start where did you get these stats? Last year liverpool lost 2 games and won 2 without Gerrard. Besides these are meaningless anyway. Also you would want to bring in values for whatever other players were missing also (i.e. who is to say that the games Liverpool were without Gerrard they werent also without Owen, Kewell, and Hyypia?)

Im not saying here that Gerrard pisses all over Keane and Vieira. Im just saying he is more than capable of holding his own with them. I bet they would be the first to admit it. He would be a more than capable replacement for Vieira if Wenger was able prise him away from Liverpool.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Scott Parker is only 23 and he was in the top 1-3 premiership tacklers last season. Unfortunately he has a lot of competition at Chelsea but I think he could develop into a quality player with first team football.

Fair point. I totally forgot about Parker.. If you check old threads you will see that I hoped Chelsea would offer Parker as part of a deal for Gerard when those rumours were going about..

Ok this thread seems to be getting silly..

How do you rate Gerard out of 10.. And again for Viera and Keane... Personally I rate him as an 8/10 player with Viera being a 9/10 players. Keane would be an 8.5/10 purely because he is getting on a bit....

Where did you source these? Do they apply to the two most recent seasons only, one of those seasons containing Liverpools worst run in their history as a club.. A bit of context please.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Ok this thread seems to be getting silly..

Do you think? Personally I think it has spawned a far more interesting one. Discussing the merits of the 3 best midfielders in the premiership is far better in talking about (when in all honesty 0% of us know anything) if or if not Wenger is going to buy more players.

To rate each of the players, I would give Vieira 9/10, Keane 8/10 (lets face it he is not near the player he was 2 years ago) and Gerrard 8/10.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Do you think? Personally I think it has spawned a far more interesting one. Discussing the merits of the 3 best midfielders in the premiership is far better in talking about (when in all honesty 0% of us know anything) if or if not Wenger is going to buy more players.

To rate each of the players, I would give Vieira 9/10, Keane 8/10 (lets face it he is not near the player he was 2 years ago) and Gerrard 8/10.

No not a silly topic... The he is/he is not argument and stats with no context...

Right lets add him to the list, Zidane, Henry, Pires, Vieria, Makelele, Beckham, Owen, Scholes, Figo, Rui Costa, Raul, Morientes, Valeron, Totti, Vieri, need I go on? The only other thing I will say is that Gerrard was not playing in his best position. Does that tell you something?

gerrard is out of place on the list, so is owen. they're english which is my problem. (not in a racist way). overhyped and blown out of porportion. all english players are over-rated, even the good ones. i wouldnt pick gerrard ahead of vieira,zidane,valeron, costa or scholes or owen ahead of raul, morientes, henry, totti or vieiri.

i doubt any non english people would pick them over any of the above either.
    doesnt that tell you something?

(ps. figo was sensational most of the tournament along with ronaldo).

gerrard is out of place on the list, so is owen. they're english which is my problem. (not in a racist way). overhyped and blown out of porportion. all english players are over-rated, even the good ones. i wouldnt pick gerrard ahead of vieira,zidane,valeron, costa or scholes or owen ahead of raul, morientes, henry, totti or vieiri.

i doubt any non english people would pick them over any of the above either.
    doesnt that tell you something?

(ps. figo was sensational most of the tournament along with ronaldo).

But Smemon, your opinion is irrelevant.

You have tried to turn this into a Liverpool United thing. We were taking about Gerrard being one of Wengers targets should Vieira leave, and is he good enough. Why all this talk about Owen? Or Ronaldo for that matter?

Plus as discussed above, Gerrard is definately in the same league as Vieira, if you think not make some points as to why you disagree, dont just bark out your unsubstanitated "opinion". Zidane and Valeron are different players, so I wont compare. Costa? Are we talking about the guy who got dropped for the entire tournament after the first game? And no Figo wasnt "sensational", he got his finger out of his arse after being subbed against England (in what could have easily been the last game of his international career hence his realisation that he better do so) and put in 2 decent performances, hardly "sensational".

And dont go on about Totti and Vieri, if you do one thing from this reply google "Totti" " caps" and "goals", its not pretty reading. Now there is a player worthy of the "overhyped" tag. Also Vieri has gone to **** in recent years.

But Smemon, your opinion is irrelevant.

You have tried to turn this into a Liverpool United thing. We were taking about Gerrard being one of Wengers targets should Vieira leave, and is he good enough. Why all this talk about Owen? Or Ronaldo for that matter?

Plus as discussed above, Gerrard is definately in the same league as Vieira, if you think not make some points as to why you disagree, dont just bark out your unsubstanitated "opinion". Zidane and Valeron are different players, so I wont compare. Costa? Are we talking about the guy who got dropped for the entire tournament after the first game? And no Figo wasnt "sensational", he got his finger out of his arse after being subbed against England (in what could have easily been the last game of his international career hence his realisation that he better do so) and put in 2 decent performances, hardly "sensational".

And dont go on about Totti and Vieri, if you do one thing from this reply google "Totti" " caps" and "goals", its not pretty reading. Now there is a player worthy of the "overhyped" tag. Also Vieri has gone to **** in recent years.

'my opinion is irrelevent'?!

listen to yourself, your contradicting here, first you say gerrard had a bad tournament like vieiri and totti, implying they are great players, then you slaughter them just to make gerrard and owen look good!

gerrard is not good enough for arsenal, thats how liverpool were brought into it. just because a player is english doesnt mean he's great like you obviously read in the tabloids and british press. he's over-elaborate and too fancy. thinks he has the vision of superman but in reality hasnt, he constantly fails to play a simple ball and he's always out of position, leaving holes in midfield. he doesnt have the presence of a vieira and his 2 footed tackles are all too common for my liking.

• Advertisement

'my opinion is irrelevent'?!

Yes

listen to yourself, your contradicting here, first you say gerrard had a bad tournament like vieiri and totti, implying they are great players, then you slaughter them just to make gerrard and owen look good!

No my point is you cant say a player is ****e based on his showing at Euro2004. Especially one who was playing out of position. And then listed other high profile players who didnt have good tournaments to highlight that just because they had bad tournies doesnt make them bad players.
    gerrard is not good enough for arsenal, thats how liverpool were brought into it. just because a player is english doesnt mean he's great like you obviously read in the tabloids and british press. he's over-elaborate and too fancy. thinks he has the vision of superman but in reality hasnt, he constantly fails to play a simple ball and he's always out of position, leaving holes in midfield. he doesnt have the presence of a vieira and his 2 footed tackles are all too common for my liking.

Gerrard is DEFINATELY good enough for Arsenal. He wouldnt replace Edu or Gilberto, no?

And he would push Vieira hard. Ask Patrick Vieira that. Yes, he can be over elaborate at times, but he is growing out of this (as all his defenders here were saying). He is only 23. Think what he will be like when he is Vieiras age. His range of passing and shooting is far superior to Vieria or Keane when on form. And this will only develop.

2 footed tackles? When was he last sent off? This is a side of his game that he has curbed a lot. Again he is only 23. It took Vieira to hit about 27 before doing this.

He almost single handedly achieved 4th place last year. Think how he would do with Arsenals midfield around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

just because a player is english doesnt mean he's great like you obviously read in the tabloids and british press.
    There are actually people who can judge a player without the help of tabloid newspapers or anyone else for that matter. Suprising, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Parlour out
    1.7 mill to Middlesborough....only has to do medical

And Mathieu Flamini in on a free from Marseille according to L'Equipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

For a start where did you get these stats?

I saw them in the indo last week. So he may have got them from there, but he didn't make them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

This is simple and stupid.

I ask you one and all which player would you rather have in your team, Viera at the moment, keane has done us proud for a number of years but the ole knees are giving up.

I would pick Steve simply because he is 23, good engine and massive potenial. Viera 28 and keane with at most a few years bit part left, it has to be the liverpool man. In an an investment point of view the younger player has to be the one who can give you his best years and still fetch a huge transfer fee when he leaves for Real Madrid lol.

As for the pool man utd thing that dictates these forums, thats where the fun lies.

Rumour ** Arsenal want Maniche as Patrick Vieira's replacement ** Rumour

Would be a good signing if replacement is required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ajax are now saying that Trabelsi will move to Arsenal.
    http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Teams/Arsenal/story_119744.shtml

Wenger says the decision to go is Vieira's and there's nothing more he can do.
    http://www.itv-football.co.uk/News/story_119733.shtml

I can vaguely remember him playing against Newcastle and Valencia in the UEFA Cup last season. Smart transfer move, although Marseille not happy.

oh my god, i take it people are trying to wind me up here.

SERIOUSLY, people would pick gerrard over vieira??? he's young, thats the ONLY thing he has in favour of him.

i cant see gerrard playing in a world cup final, euro finals (winning both) and leading arsenal to a few championships and cups along the way.

he's NOT world class, he's english class imo. BIG difference.

smemon if you want to start a thread about who the better midfielder is please do. Lets keep this thread to discussions on new Arsenal players if possible :)

• Advertisement

i hear gerrard is going to arsenal. ;) what do people think on that?

anyway, trabelsi i think is definately going to arsenal now. he's had a bust up with ajax and wont be heading back. still has the newcastle option though.

still no proven signings at arsenal or comming to arsenal. all cheap foreigners as usual in the pipeline, they should focus on vieira staying.

madrid will be loving this, the british media having a field day on vieira. it cant possibly help arsenal or vieira.

anyway, trabelsi i think is definately going to arsenal now. he's had a bust up with ajax and wont be heading back. still has the newcastle option though.
    Ajax have already confirmed Trabelsi is joining Arsenal.

He should sign more central Midfielders, for obvious reasons ;)

But seriously, Edu,Gilberto and Vieira? Another midfielder is needed.....imo

He should sign more central Midfielders, for obvious reasons

Look at the post at the end of page one from Gandalf about Flamini signing.

Originally posted by Axel
    He should sign more central Midfielders, for obvious reasons

Signed Flamini yesterday as reported who plays Right side or Centraal midfield....French say he is in the same mould as Vieira.....but then they did say Cheryou was the next Zidane:-)

Originally posted by Shamrok
    Look at the post at the end of page one from Gandalf about Flamini signing.

Yes i know they signed him.

He's only 20 though. Sure there are some young players in the youth system that could come in if needed, Cesc etc

Another Proven Midfielder is needed
    Signed Flamini yesterday as reported who plays Right side or Centraal midfield....French say he is in the same mould as Vieira.....but then they did say Cheryou was the next Zidane:-)

Flamini said himself his game is based on that of Vieira's. Hopefully he's good

flamini came on a free, not even on a pro contract in france.

its ridiculous to call him a signing, more like cover for the reserves. i agree with axel, proven players are needed.

someone thats reliable and has experience at a high level.

flamini came on a free, not even on a pro contract in france.

its ridiculous to call him a signing, more like cover for the reserves. i agree with axel, proven players are needed.

someone thats reliable and has experience at a high level.

Yeah a free. Still cost em 1.7 Million in compensation :)

Still though, if Vieira does indeed go, we'll have 30 Million to spend on someone...

Flamini is just backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think Vieira is replacable.
    30 Mill, who ya gona buy?

When you think about it defensive midfielders of that class are a dying breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

still no proven signings at arsenal or comming to arsenal. all cheap foreigners as usual in the pipeline, they should focus on vieira staying.

Trabelsi is a pretty handy signing. He's being playing decent at Ajax for a number of years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement