Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to force a "D" lock open?

Options
  • 19-07-2004 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

I managed to break the key of my bike's d-lock over the weekend and the bike is now stuck in town. Does anyone have any (realistic) suggestions for how the lock can be forced?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hacksaw.

Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

car jack is what I've heard, I'd say an angle grinder would go through it pretty snappy, just don't hit the frame with it!

phone a locksmith?

edit: I've gone through chains with a hacksaw, took a while though, and it wasn't out in public. I guess a d lock isn't that much stronger than a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Because of how it is locked a jack won't work.

Hacksaw I can do but I would prefer not to spend the afternoon at it.

Any idea how much a locksmith will charge for the job?

I wouldn't pay him, just ask how he'd open a d-lock :)

(don't know what they charge)

hack saw won't take too long, don't use those ****ty little ones, get a proper one and make sure you have a brand new blade with you, as that will speed it up a good bit. 15 minutes would do it I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

And bring the bike receipt with you in case the Gardai shock us all by giving a sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

your best bet is to get a 12-volt electric drill,knock the torque stting all the way up and drill straight thru where you'd put the key in,its what a locksmith would do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bolt cutters might work. Theres another way, but I'm not telling you lot. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Victor
    Theres another way, but I'm not telling you lot

How helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

you will find the answer on the forums here but be warned, this site may leave you paranoid about just how secure your house / bike / car locks are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Ah the internet. Is there no information that is not available on it! :-)

(excepting of course info on how my girlfriend's mind works. Still a mystery to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tubular lock pick. I had to get one for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

sliabh wrote:
    Any idea how much a locksmith will charge for the job?
    I was charged £45 a few years ago to get this done (although it wasn't a U-Lock, it was one of those Oxford bendy locks. He didn't require any proof that I owned the bike, I guess thieves wouldn't tend to call out locksmiths...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well, more recently my key broke in my D-lock again; this was because the lock was not properly in at the key end, but was still firmly attached and unopenable. In this case (on the advice of my LBS) a hammer blow to the bar section that the D locks into (again on the not properly attached end) sufficed to free the bike very easily. YMMV.

Advertisement