Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failing Clutch Symptoms??

Options
  • 19-07-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.
    What are the symptoms of a failing clutch? Since the w'end my mondeo seems to be chugging very slightly but the engine is running smoothly.
    I thought it was one of the spark plug leads breaking down at first as I've already had to replace two of those.
    It feels like the clutch is losing grip.

Am I guessing right here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you're accelerating and the revs rise but then there is a lag before the speed increases, then your clutch is sliping. A simple way to check is when stopped, put the car in 3rd gear and just gently touching the accelerator, release the clutch slowly. If the car doesn't stall, your clutch is most likely slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The most obvious symptom is when pressing the accelerator causes the revs to rise quickly without the speed increasing or the car struggles to climb an incline despite the engine revving hard. A simple test is to brake and hold the car with your right toe, use your right heel to bring the revs to 1500-2000 and let the clutch out in first gear gently - if you can stall the engine, your clutch is ok....

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Cheers Lads,
    I was going to try that stall test but was afraid if the clutch was dying that forcing the car to stall might kill it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The "stall test" might be a bit hard on the transmission/clutch and perhaps the cat converter. The way I test for a slipping clutch is to stick the car in 5th at around 30 mph and then try to drive up a steep hill. If the car starts to labour and chug, the clutch is probably OK. If the revs shoot up with the car failing to gain any speed, then clutch is probably on it way out. If the car flies up the hill without either of these symptoms, then you're probably driving an animal of a car with a big torquey engine :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Posted by BrianD3
    If the car flies up the hill without either of these symptoms, then you're probably driving an animal of a car with a big torquey engine.

Or you are driving an automatic and it doesn't have a clutch:)

The climbey-hill test (climie-fisher test; Gear-changes everything?) sounds like a better plan if you have mechanical sympathy, the stall test is quick and dirty. And requires three feet.

'ceptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Another test is if doing say 30 in 4th accelerate, and "stab" the clutch at the same time, the revs should immediately rise and drop, if it doesn't drop straight away,
    ease off, you just proved your slipping clutch.

Advertisement